Help me overthink Thanksgiving

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Help me overthink Thanksgiving

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Hey Guys,

So I was just out driving around where I usually do my best thinking which should rightly disturb you since I'm driving in traffic while thinking about a bunch of other stuff. I'm trying to figure out how to do the holidays in light of the pandemic or not do them at all. So, Thanksgiving first.

We usually have everyone over to the homestead here. That would be 7 humans. I won't count the animals. Sometimes there is additional family or friends. Depends on who is where and who could use an invitation. This year, if we do this, I am sure it will be 7 humans.

So. I'm trying to think of what best practice would look like for Thanksgiving. I have a couple of ideas, maybe you have more to add.

What if...we kept all the windows open the whole time? It's usually freezing ass cold here, but if that's the best idea I have no problem making everyone suffer. What if...we keep the windows open and turn on the furnace fan to just blow around air? Should the air be heat or just air for circulation?

What if...I ask everyone to show up with a mask? I know they would do it. We have a total of 4 out of 7 who would be considered high risk for one reason or another.

What if...instead of dinner around the table I ask folks to eat in both the great room and the dining area of the house? Sort of spread us out that way?

What if...we just were together for dinner? We usually have a family gingerbread house building contest (no prizes--just for fun) where some of us break into teams the great room sort of early-ish afternoon (this keeps everyone out of the kitchen) while two of us are putting the finishing touches are being put on dinner. Does reducing the time sound like a good idea? Last year the meal didn't take long to come together because the turkey got smoked at another house then was trucked over here (still hot I might add), I did all the sides. It went pretty darn fast and the meal was fantastic.

After dinner we usually do a holiday movie in the great room where we have pie and passing around cans of whipped cream until the last people with the cans are actually shooting the last of it into their mouth. I'm not joking. This tribe is all in when it comes to whipped cream. Ain't nobody shy around here. Now, I'm just apologizing for our lack of couth.

Of course, if the weather happens to be unseasonably warm that day, gingerbread houses could happen outdoors and even use the deck as part of the eating area. It's either unseasonably warm or snowing here on Thanksgiving day. Not much in between.

So. 7 humans.
4 at high risk.
2 are in the work place
1 will have returned to in-class learning by then.

If you have any ideas lay them on me. Am I missing something? Just give me what you got and I'll work it into my overthinking.

Thanks!

Jersey
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Help me overthink Thanksgiving

Post by _moksha »

Would you consider temperature readings at the door and adjust the eventual seating arrangments accordingly?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

I think the first place to start is to answer the first question you asked in the OP, but asked more directly. Are you going to prioritize COVID safety or have a get together?

If the first, toss all the rest of the ideas in the OP and think about ways to socialize without physically getting together.

If the second, the window idea sounds kinda bananas. If you want to freeze your ass off and get together, have the gathering on the orange porch and seat everyone as far apart as possible. Or, maybe try something where you all send one another part of the meal and use a conferencing tech to chat while you eat/build gingerbread/etc.

But seriously. I wouldn't try to straddle the line. Either you're concerned about COVID exposure or you aren't.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

moksha wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:45 pm
Would you consider temperature readings at the door and adjust the eventual seating arrangments accordingly?
Bird are you mocking me? It doesn't matter if you have a temp or not. You could be shedding virus long before you show symptoms.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 pm
I think the first place to start is to answer the first question you asked in the OP, but asked more directly. Are you going to prioritize COVID safety or have a get together?

If the first, toss all the rest of the ideas in the OP and think about ways to socialize without physically getting together.

If the second, the window idea sounds kinda bananas. If you want to freeze your ass off and get together, have the gathering on the orange porch and seat everyone as far apart as possible. Or, maybe try something where you all send one another part of the meal and use a conferencing tech to chat while you eat/build gingerbread/etc.

But seriously. I wouldn't try to straddle the line. Either you're concerned about COVID exposure or you aren't.
My god, that big part you said. I was actually thinking about doing that! Delivering the meal and doing the day via facetime/zoom type thing.

How do you remember that my house is orange? It still is. I'm actually thinking about getting JB those color blind glasses to see if he sees it the way I do.
Chinese Proverb
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 pm

My god, that big part you said. I was actually thinking about doing that! Delivering the meal and doing the day via facetime/zoom type thing.

How do you remember that my house is orange? It still is. I'm actually thinking about getting Jersey Boy those color blind glasses to see if he sees it the way I do.
We talked stain once. I guess it made an impression.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:16 pm
We talked stain once. I guess it made an impression.
I recall that. It makes an impression on me every time I am blinded by the sight of it! It only looks okay in Fall or when covered in snow. :lol:
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

For Thanksgiving, you can celebrate by having a virtual dinner with friends or family from afar and sharing your favorite Thanksgiving recipe, the CDC said.

"Thanksgiving is a really tough one," Ranney admits. "I am going to be doing a Zoom Thanksgiving with my parents."
7 ways to stay healthy (and sane) during the fall coronavirus surge

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/health/c ... index.html

Yeah.

It's just another adjustment.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 am
For Thanksgiving, you can celebrate by having a virtual dinner with friends or family from afar and sharing your favorite Thanksgiving recipe, the CDC said.

"Thanksgiving is a really tough one," Ranney admits. "I am going to be doing a Zoom Thanksgiving with my parents."
7 ways to stay healthy (and sane) during the fall coronavirus surge

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/health/c ... index.html

Yeah.

Remember when everything was going to be better by Easter?

It will get better. This year is probably going to be a zoom fest for a lot of people. But what other way to remember 2020? I guess the object is to find a way to celebrate the disruption of continuity in our lives.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:48 am

Remember when everything was going to be better by Easter?

It will get better. This year is probably going to be a zoom fest for a lot of people. But what other way to remember 2020? I guess the object is to find a way to celebrate the disruption of continuity in our lives.
MeDot I'm going to just be real here and say that the family is dealing with some sad things right now and it's not turkey day. If you want to know anything, feel free to shoot me a message but nothing is going in a post here. Otherwise I'll just continue faking it for the masses here and let myself enjoy periods of normalcy when I post.

With regard to actual Thanksgiving, I worked out a plan in my head about a couple of ways to do it. My concern is that not everyone will be on board with it so that's yet another source of stress so I'm just not going to "go there" right now. I think zoom meetings could actually be fun.

I have to say, from a believing perspective, I think there is definitely spiritual warfare at play or you can just say the whole world is under enormous pressure right now. Either way is fine. Or both. I say the whole world not only on account of the pandemic but also because I think foreign countries are affected by what is going on in the United States and that adds to their own pandemic concerns.

It can and does feel very overwhelming at times. And while I believe we can get to the other side of this and come out better for it, it's going to be the rockiest road we've ever traveled as individuals and as a nation to get there, likely as a global community as well.

We best be pacing ourselves and be ready to dig in our heels in order to ride this out. There are days when my mental health isn't okay and today is one of those days with in real life compounded by everything else going on around us. I really need a good nights sleep and I intend to get it.

Because I'm riding all of this out come hell or high water.
Chinese Proverb