Atrocity of Holocaust Level Proportions

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Atrocity of Holocaust Level Proportions

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 pm
I think we can put it like this:

There are two issues to be discussed.

A: The propriety of the Trump administration's southern border policy to reduce border crossings and as far as possible to deport those who do so illegally.

B: The propriety of using the separation of parents and very young children as part of the process of achieving A, without careful provision to ensure that the children can eventually be reunited securely with their parents.

Whether A is advisable may reasonably be considered a matter for political debate.

Whether B is a morally permissible auxiliary means of achieving A is not.
What an ignorant and narrow view you're proposing with disregard for reality.
What about separation of children in order to legitimately determine if the child is being trafficked? It is a documented fact that some children are a part of an illegal border crossing either for the purpose of trafficking or to create a false appearance of "family members".
Your overly emotional isolation of "A" as being the only point of discussion is completely ridiculous, especially when reinforced by your "B" statement of 'see also A'.
Quite frankly, the only notion more ignorant and more steeped in over-emotion is the OP's insane equation that this is anywhere near holocaust proportions.
C. Why haven't any of the 500+ parents knocked on any door and stated "here i am to pick up my child"?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:03 pm
I had an interesting experience at work today. I did an exam for a 5 yoa hispanic boy. Both parents spoke no English. I discovered he had a lazy eye. His parents were pretty astute to get him in to me before he was too old to fix the problem. They were also grateful I spoke their language and was able to include them in the exam. I had to put drops in and he bravely did it without a single complaint, better than most adults. At the end of the exam he ran to me and gave me a bear hug. It was a pretty emotional moment for me.

Would these parents hate me if they knew I voted for Trump and believe that our borders should be enforced? I honestly don't think so. Nor am I ever going to buy the line of garbage that because I think we have the right to set and enforce immigration law means that I hate hispanics. I'm sure it would have pissed Schmo off to no end when this little tike ran over and hugged this monster who you think I am.
That was a heartwarming story, and, like Chap, I admire how you treated that little boy. I also fully agree with all of Chap's comments in response to it, especially this one:
Chap wrote:You are not a monster. You just have some ways of looking at things and talking that I fear will lead you and others into a deeply unhappy and angry place.
Though it may be hyperbolic to characterize you as a monster (you certainly don't think of yourself as one), the apparently over-the-top racist and white supremacist attitudes like yours, and refusal to even consider that anyone less conservative than yourself might have some valid ideas and concerns, can and has led to monstrous consequences and conflicts.

Admittedly, over-the-top, fanatically leftist liberalism also can and has led to monstrous consequences. That's why liberals, progressives and conservatives need to learn to talk to and listen to each other, and learn to respect and like each other, and even learn from each other.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

subgenius wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:21 pm
What about separation of children in order to legitimately determine if the child is being trafficked? It is a documented fact that some children are a part of an illegal border crossing either for the purpose of trafficking or to create a false appearance of "family members".
If that were the only or even the main reason for the child separation, you might have had a valid point, but the Trump administration made no secret of the fact that intimidation and punishment of migrants merely for seeking asylum as a means to discourage them from doing so by punishing their children was the main purpose. Sessions, in particular, openly and unapologetically admitted as much.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Ajax: " The wall needs to go up."

Ajax, suppose the wall does indeed go up, and suppose it's of superior construction and works as designed. How much do you believe you will save in taxes and gain in income from the restricted competition, after subtracting the costs of construction and ongoing maintenance and administration?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:39 pm
subgenius wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:04 pm
So, not a single parent has showed up asking "where is my kid"?...
Yup. If the parents were poor people who were deported after failed asylum attempts, that's the way it would be.
CFR on your vivid imagination. Because we know you truly believe this is how it worked for+500 kids.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

subgenius wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:21 pm
It is a documented fact that some children are a part of an illegal border crossing either for the purpose of trafficking or to create a false appearance of "family members".
Are you sure you want to go there? When I posted something similar I was more or less accused of being a conspiracy theorist.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Shades, can you link to that exchange?

- Doc
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:53 am
That was pretty good, Jersey Girl. I actually read the whole thing. I thought it'd be funny to post long nonsensical copypastas to Ajax and subjenius since they don't read anything beyond a sentence or two, and the irony of posting long nonsensical posts that they don't read is performance art BECAUSE anything you post is pointless when addressing them. Therefore posting long absurd posts to them is a statement. You could post a succinct articulate post, and they'll just say something absurd after having skimmed it. You could post a medium length thoughtful post that they'd skim over, perhaps picking up a sentence or two, that they would respond to by posting some more brainwashed nonsense that reflects they didn't really read your post. You could post lengthy sourced thoughts that reach the level of collegiate academic standards appreciated by MENSA types and it's simply a waste of time.

- Doc
To save time and effort, perhaps you should just post "<insert condescending text here>". That way readers like myself do not have to wade through a variety of whatever-length posts that always conclude with your self-proclamations of how people who disagree with you are stupid. It would just be a courtesy but would also allow you more free time to (a) pat yourself on the back; (b) enjoy longer gazes in the mirror; and (c) allow you to arrive at #tds circle jerks earlier.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here. I'll keep it simple for you, subjenius.

subjenius' mouth O <-- Trump's mushroom dick

- Doc