The New Jim Crow

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

The New Jim Crow

Post by _Res Ipsa »

The New Jim Crow is a book I’ve put off reading for a while now. I knew that it would really, really piss me off, so I avoided it.

I was wrong. Really, really pissed off is such an understatement of my reaction to this book that I don’t have words to describe how angry and frustrated I am upon reading this book. You can throw in sickened, disgusted and disillusioned.

Over the past decades, we’ve built a system of mass incarceration that is racist as “F”. Not only that, but court system, including the Supreme Court understands that perfectly. The Supreme Court understands that the entire justice system is so permeated with racism that it can’t address any part of it in the system without ending up having to tear the whole system down. So what has it done in the face of evidence that black and brown folks are treated much worse than whites folks in the same circumstances? It created rules that make it impossible to challenge the system’s racism in court.

At the same time, just since I was in law school, US citizens have experienced an enormous erosion of their fourth amendment rights. But most whites folks don’t realize it’s happened because the effects have fallen mostly on black and brown folks. We don’t see it because we pretend we are colorblind. You have to see color to see the disparate treatment based on color.

And, because of the way we treat people when they leave the criminal justice system, we’ve created a permanent undercaste of people cut off from the benefits of being American.

If you want to comfortably believe that we’re post-racial society and that were rounding the corner on MLK’s dream, by all means avoid this book. But if you want to try and understand some of the anger and rage that erupted this summer, as it does from time to time, then this book is a good place to start.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Re: The New Jim Crow

Post by _ajax18 »

Have you seen any of the looting going on in Philadelphia? Would you say the Philadelphia police department is the new Jim Crow as well? Lot of racist history in Philadelphia isn't there, especially since it's been controlled by Democrats for centuries.

How many people know that what killed George Floyd may have had more to do with the fact that he had taken enough fentanyl to kill a horse rather than the police subduing him when he was struggling to keep from being put in the back of the police car. In any event, isn't Minnesota supposed to be populated by liberal nonracist and multicultural police officers and not southern white men?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:02 pm
Have you seen any of the looting going on in Philadelphia? Would you say the Philadelphia police department is the new Jim Crow as well? Lot of racist history in Philadelphia isn't there, especially since it's been controlled by Democrats for centuries.

How many people know that what killed George Floyd may have had more to do with the fact that he had taken enough fentanyl to kill a horse rather than the police subduing him when he was struggling to keep from being put in the back of the police car. In any event, isn't Minnesota supposed to be populated by liberal nonracist and multicultural police officers and not southern white men?
As you have often demonstrated you are again grasping at any straw you can you can think of or invent to avoid acknowledging a glaring, unjust reality that conflicts with what you desperately would rather believe. You're not going to read the book yourself, are you?

The deplorable looting and violence that is going is certainly illegitimate and probably counterproductive, but the anger and frustration behind it is very real and well justified. Until there is significant progress addressing and redressing the injustice and unfairness being protested against, the anger and violence will probably continue to increase.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Until there is significant progress addressing and redressing the injustice and unfairness being protested against, the anger and violence will probably continue to increase.
Redressing what? The right to charge a police officer with a raised knife and not suffer any injury in the process? This is all happening in places where liberals have been the government authority for centuries. Good luck finding any grocery stores willing to open up in this marxist bannana republic bizarro inner city world your policies have created. It'll be a long bike ride with some heavy grocery bags to carry in America under the green new deal.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:20 pm
Until there is significant progress addressing and redressing the injustice and unfairness being protested against, the anger and violence will probably continue to increase.
Redressing what? The right to charge a police officer with a raised knife and not suffer any injury in the process? This is all happening in places where liberals have been the government authority for centuries. Good luck finding any grocery stores willing to open up in this marxist bannana republic bizarro inner city world your policies have created. It'll be a long bike ride with some heavy grocery bags to carry in America under the green new deal.
I'm not talking just about the particular unrest going on in Philadelphia. You again reveal yourself as clueless as ever.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:07 pm
The New Jim Crow is a book I’ve put off reading for a while now. I knew that it would really, really piss me off, so I avoided it.

I was wrong. Really, really pissed off is such an understatement of my reaction to this book that I don’t have words to describe how angry and frustrated I am upon reading this book. You can throw in sickened, disgusted and disillusioned.
white person is armchair upset over racism, check.
Over the past decades, we’ve built a system of mass incarceration that is racist as ____.
Don't tell Biden, he thinks he did the right thing and has been powerless to undo his legislation.
Not only that, but court system, including the Supreme Court understands that perfectly. The Supreme Court understands that the entire justice system is so permeated with racism that it can’t address any part of it in the system without ending up having to tear the whole system down. So what has it done in the face of evidence that black and brown folks are treated much worse than whites folks in the same circumstances? It created rules that make it impossible to challenge the system’s racism in court
That's a lot to unpack. Got an example of these "created rules"?
I'm gonna ignore the fact that you are/were the "system" and therefore must be a racist...or at least a purveyor of racism.
At the same time, just since I was in law school, US citizens have experienced an enormous erosion of their fourth amendment rights. But most whites folks don’t realize it’s happened because the effects have fallen mostly on black and brown folks. We don’t see it because we pretend we are colorblind. You have to see color to see the disparate treatment based on color.
Totally agree on the trampling of the 4th.
Ever since Cheney got away with the cliché "... then you have nothing to worry about" - ugh.
And, because of the way we treat people when they leave the criminal justice system, we’ve created a permanent undercaste of people cut off from the benefits of being American.
permanent? that's not how America rolls.
If you want to comfortably believe that we’re post-racial society and that were rounding the corner on Martin Luther King’s dream, by all means avoid this book. But if you want to try and understand some of the anger and rage that erupted this summer, as it does from time to time, then this book is a good place to start.
Systematically we ARE easily post-racial, at least from a punitive and hindered opportunity position. However, from your assertions I cannot reason how a racist system can unracist itself. You seem to be hunting at a cultural indoctrination at the cost of liberty, which is worse than racism because the loss of liberty is the basis of slavery.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

O c——
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:59 pm
You seem to be hunting at a cultural indoctrination at the cost of liberty, which is worse than racism because the loss of liberty is the basis of slavery.
Good mention. Former slave owners felt just as put out over the cultural indoctrination that forced the loss of their liberty to own slaves.