Fat - Be - Gone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Fat - Be - Gone

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:29 am
I'd have to go with the 1+ mile walk suggestion as #1 in order of operations. Should include fast walking some of the time to increase heart rate. Not for the calorie burn per se, but to arise from the low-energy swamp. There's a reasonable chance that can help shift preferences away from the worst food choices.
Yep. Agree. I do a mile and a half on the driveway. Stretch first, warm up, elevate heart rate, cool down, stretch again. On my worst days, I just go get the mail. :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I just want to put in a plug for other types of physical activity that we often don't think of as exercise. We do quite a lot of outside work around here and I count that as exercise on the days that we do it. Sawing the limbs off trees, loading limbs onto the trailer, walking the property while doing most of this...then off loading the slash at a local place..come try it and see if you don't think it counts as exercise. If we down a whole tree, yeah, come do that with us. Bring your own chainsaw and remember we're stacking the wood before it's all said and done.

:lol:

In a winter snowstorm, I invite anyone to come shovel and plow with us throughout most of the day and night, and hope the 4 WD has already got a full gas tank otherwise you're filling it with large gas cans while schelpping around in the snow. Sounds easy. Not so in practice. I count all of these things as my exercise for whatever day we're doing it.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Tim Kardashian
Nursery

Post by Tim Kardashian »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:55 am
I just want to put in a plug for other types of physical activity that we often don't think of as exercise. We do quite a lot of outside work around here and I count that as exercise on the days that we do it. Sawing the limbs off trees, loading limbs onto the trailer, walking the property while doing most of this...then off loading the slash at a local place..come try it and see if you don't think it counts as exercise. If we down a whole tree, yeah, come do that with us. Bring your own chainsaw.

In a winter snowstorm, I invite anyone to come shovel and plow with us throughout most of the day and night. Sounds easy. Not so in practice. I count all of these things as my exercise for whatever day we're doing it.
Walking backwards burns more calories.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Tim Kardashian wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:55 am
I just want to put in a plug for other types of physical activity that we often don't think of as exercise. We do quite a lot of outside work around here and I count that as exercise on the days that we do it. Sawing the limbs off trees, loading limbs onto the trailer, walking the property while doing most of this...then off loading the slash at a local place..come try it and see if you don't think it counts as exercise. If we down a whole tree, yeah, come do that with us. Bring your own chainsaw.

In a winter snowstorm, I invite anyone to come shovel and plow with us throughout most of the day and night. Sounds easy. Not so in practice. I count all of these things as my exercise for whatever day we're doing it.
Walking backwards burns more calories.
I've done that on a treadmill. Kinda makes me dizzy so I learned to adjust the incline. :lol:

Slava Ukraini!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:42 am
Week one weigh in - (9/30/2021)

Starting weight - 224
Current weight - 223
Week two weigh in (10/7/21)
Current weight - 223
(10/14/21) Week three weigh in - Current weight - 221

Pretty happy about the 2 pound drop. Learning more and more all the time.

Ate pretty good for the week: Mostly chicken breast/tuna/turkey/veggies. Ate bad twice - Steak and fries one night and sweet and sour chicken, fried rice and an egg roll one night (They were both freaking delicious!) No chocolate - that's a real win for me. No regular pop (a few more diet cokes) lots of water. Nighttime snacking has been raw veggies and some of the low sodium organic cracker things my bride brought home (Really liked these as they gave me a crunch and were pretty tasty - I had these when I was wanting chips - Yeah, chips has been really hard for me to let go.

Walking - Still not doing enough. Walked 4 times - 2 of the 4 I doubled the walk (about 45-50 minutes) and the other 2 were about 25 minutes. Still walking at a pretty slow pace. Need to pick up the pace and walk farther, I think.

All in all, I think it's getting a bit easier to avoid crap food. Still trying new "replacements" - So, I continue on with a marathon-mind rather than a sprint-mind.

Also, thinking about joining a gym to move! - Thinking about the weather changing soon (cold/snow/ice) - So yeah.

See you in 1 week!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Excellent, Ceeboo!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:13 am
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:42 am
Week one weigh in - (9/30/2021)

Starting weight - 224
Current weight - 223
Week two weigh in (10/7/21)
Current weight - 223
(10/14/21) Week three weigh in - Current weight - 221

Pretty happy about the 2 pound drop. Learning more and more all the time.

Ate pretty good for the week: Mostly chicken breast/tuna/turkey/veggies. Ate bad twice - Steak and fries one night and sweet and sour chicken, fried rice and an egg roll one night (They were both freaking delicious!) No chocolate - that's a real win for me. No regular pop (a few more diet cokes) lots of water. Nighttime snacking has been raw veggies and some of the low sodium organic cracker things my bride brought home (Really liked these as they gave me a crunch and were pretty tasty - I had these when I was wanting chips - Yeah, chips has been really hard for me to let go.

Walking - Still not doing enough. Walked 4 times - 2 of the 4 I doubled the walk (about 45-50 minutes) and the other 2 were about 25 minutes. Still walking at a pretty slow pace. Need to pick up the pace and walk farther, I think.

All in all, I think it's getting a bit easier to avoid crap food. Still trying new "replacements" - So, I continue on with a marathon-mind rather than a sprint-mind.

Also, thinking about joining a gym to move! - Thinking about the weather changing soon (cold/snow/ice) - So yeah.

See you in 1 week!
Hey this is great! :mrgreen:

Could you make shish kabob with the meat on the grill? Where I live, people grill year round even in winter. Personally, I get a lot of mileage out of my little George Foreman grill that will do 3 chicken breasts at one time and be done in about 10 minutes. I use the chicken in my salads. I don't marinate anything but I am wondering if you can do sweet and sour chicken, and steak and veggies in shish kabob form? Might be a nice variation in what you already enjoy.

On the fries, where'd you get those from? Did you deep fry those yourselves?

You can always make oven fries out of potatoes--white and/or sweet potatoes. Sweet potato oven fries are really good! Also roasted veggies...omg....so good in fall! Olive oil is your friend!

Wondering if anyone here has an air fryer? We haven't got one but it seems to be a great way to get fries without all the crap.

Anyway, you did really good this week! Change takes time. I was thinking that if you haven't already made the comparison/connection yourself yet, that you could look at what you are doing as using the same method that you did to secure your financial freedom. Only you are doing it with food and exercise.

See how crafty I am? ;)

ETA: I've bolded some things in case you are looking around to pick out ideas so you can find them more easily.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Ceebooooooooooooooo!

I just got an idea because well, I was just doing it. :D A very long time ago honor posted either here or on Geeks about the beats per minute music websites. Websites where you can look up a variety of genres of music that you like that have them categorized by beats per minute. This is a major league discovery for anyone who likes to work out with music! I went on there and the heavens opened! I only have two iPods with ear buds, no blue tooth but I am sure you can do this with whatever you have--stuff I don't have. So...a few examples of what I use.

These are just at my pace. I don't know what yours would be.

Walking:

Walk this Way: Areosmith
Fast Forward: Kenny Chesney

Weights and Floor work:

Beast of Burden: Stones
My Girl: Temptations

So,if you or anyone else reading here is interested, that's a SUPERIOR way to get music to work out to at your own pace and for your own purpose.

Slava Ukraini!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:09 pm
Could you make shish kabob with the meat on the grill? Where I live, people grill year round even in winter.
Yes, I make shish kabob often (steak and chicken) and yes, I grill all year (snow blizzard - Ceeboo is grilling outside!)
On the fries, where'd you get those from? Did you deep fry those yourselves?
At home, deep fried in oil and a lot of them!
See how crafty I am? ;)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Oven fries. ;-) What about an air fryer? People rave over those.

Slava Ukraini!