Fat - Be - Gone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Fat - Be - Gone

Post by Atlanticmike »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:12 pm
Walking 90 minutes every day would be good, all right, but I wouldn't count on it to lose 10 pounds in a month.

3500 Calories per pound. Walking one mile at 230 pounds weight, according to online calculators, burns about 125 Calories. That'll go up a bit if you're walking up and down hills a lot, but it won't change much by walking faster—you'll just burn the Calories faster by covering the distance faster.

So you're going to have walk about 28 miles to lose a single pound. To lose 10 pounds, 280 miles.

70 miles a week isn't casual walking. It's intense training. Ten miles in 90 minutes is a hard enough run that doing it every day would wreck my knees.

That much extra work makes you hungry, too. Eat more and you undo the benefit; don't eat more, and you're as hungry as if you were dieting.
In my experience with helping people lose weight the first month is when you can expect to lose the most weight. 1.5 hours of steady walking is about 4.5 to 5 miles. In my experience, if the person trying to lose weight doesn't up their daily calorie intake, that 150 miles in 30 days will be around 10 to 12 lbs lost. In talking to ceeboo I did forget to say that as the pounds start coming off, you do need to carry extra weight to stay at the original start weight. So if someone starts at 230lbs, they need to make sure they are always walking at 230lbs regardless off weight loss while exercising. After the first month or so most people will hit a plateau and need to start carrying extra weight while walking or start changing up what and how much they eat. It's not all about calories in my opinion, it has a lot to do with what you eat and how easily digestible the foods you eat are. Also, staying away from anything that's wheat, flour, corn or potato based is always a good idea while trying to lose weight.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey Gad
Gadianton wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:42 pm
Years ago this guy who was a friend of the family checked himself into a top-notch hospital for obesity, needed to loose a couple hundred pounds. He was successful.
Wow! That's an awesome accomplishemwnt.
The big secret? Walking 7 miles a day.
Interesting.

Thanks for the post.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

The calories you burn in walking seem to scale pretty linearly with your body weight. It makes sense since of course you're doing more work if you're heavier. So if you are hundreds of pounds overweight, the good news is that you do burn a lot more calories than lighter people in light exercise.

At 460 pounds you're probably burning 250 Calories per mile. At 7 miles a day that would drop a pound every two days all by itself.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:50 pm
The calories you burn in walking seem to scale pretty linearly with your body weight. It makes sense since of course you're doing more work if you're heavier. So if you are hundreds of pounds overweight, the good news is that you do burn a lot more calories than lighter people in light exercise.

At 460 pounds you're probably burning 250 Calories per mile. At 7 miles a day that would drop a pound every two days all by itself.
Yep! Walking is an amazing way to lose weight. I don't know why, but it seems to me once you start walking at least an hour at a time, the benefits are amazing. I know a lot of people who walk 20 to 30 minutes for health, which is awesome, but they have a hard time losing weight no matter their diet. 60 to 90 minutes or roughly 5 to 6 miles seems to be the ideal amount of exercise if trying to lose pounds in my opinion.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm
It's not all about calories in my opinion, it has a lot to do with what you eat and how easily digestible the foods you eat are. Also, staying away from anything that's wheat, flour, corn or potato based is always a good idea while trying to lose weight.
I'm pretty sure it is all about calories, but all kinds of things affect how many calories you eat and how many you expend. Anything in food that literally isn't digestible doesn't have calories. It's fiber. Otherwise the only difference between a calorie-worth of different kinds of food is how easy it is to stuff in your mouth. With some things it's so easy that it's too easy to stuff in too much.

Wheat, flour, corn, and potatoes, and also rice—anything that has ever been a staple food for a whole society—are nasty for weight loss for the same reason they were great discoveries for our hungry ancestors: they have so many calories for their volume. They're all basically seeds, packed with energy for growing new plants. Bread seems like this light fluffy stuff but it's really calorie-dense. That's why it's the staff of life.

Vegetables, other than the ones like potatoes and sweet potatoes that count as starches, are in contrast the most awesome things. You can eat a massive bowl of broccoli and be full, and it was only a hundred Calories. It's hardly even worth counting the Calories in vegetables.

It's too bad they're yucky. Or at any rate they're rarely better than just okay. But one of the features of the fasting approach is that on fast days a bowl of broccoli tastes great. Hunger is the best sauce.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:55 pm
Vegetables, other than the ones like potatoes and sweet potatoes that count as starches, are in contrast the most awesome things. You can eat a massive bowl of broccoli and be full, and it was only a hundred Calories. It's hardly even worth counting the Calories in vegetables.

It's too bad they're yucky........
:lol:

Too bad indeed!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:55 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:48 pm
It's not all about calories in my opinion, it has a lot to do with what you eat and how easily digestible the foods you eat are. Also, staying away from anything that's wheat, flour, corn or potato based is always a good idea while trying to lose weight.
I'm pretty sure it is all about calories, but all kinds of things affect how many calories you eat and how many you expend. Anything in food that literally isn't digestible doesn't have calories. It's fiber. Otherwise the only difference between a calorie-worth of different kinds of food is how easy it is to stuff in your mouth. With some things it's so easy that it's too easy to stuff in too much.

Wheat, flour, corn, and potatoes, and also rice—anything that has ever been a staple food for a whole society—are nasty for weight loss for the same reason they were great discoveries for our hungry ancestors: they have so many calories for their volume. They're all basically seeds, packed with energy for growing new plants. Bread seems like this light fluffy stuff but it's really calorie-dense. That's why it's the staff of life.

It's too bad they're yucky. Or at any rate they're rarely better than just okay. But one of the features of the fasting approach is that on fast days a bowl of broccoli tastes great. Hunger is the best sauce.
I don't share your poor opinion of vegetables, particularly broccoli. Unless I get a batch that is too woody, it is one of my favorites. When I go to restaurants like Red Robin that offer the option of choosing broccoli as a side, instead of fries, I more often than not choose broccoli. I like cauliflower even better. I particularly like cream of cauliflower soup. I realize though, of course, that cream of cauliflower soup is not necessarily the best choice for limiting one's calorie intake.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:31 pm
When I go to restaurants like Red Robin that offer the option of choosing broccoli as a side, instead of fries, I more often than not choose broccoli.

I like cauliflower even better.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Eat less, move more.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:13 am
Question: Are there any specific things I can do to concentrate on loosing belly fat, specifically?
Only one exercise - Fork Putdowns.

Well, that, and not putting food into it.