Fat - Be - Gone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Fat - Be - Gone

Post by Chap »

So far as I can judge from this thread, people are finding it pretty difficult to change the eating habits of a lifetime, even if they know it would be good for them. That is bound to be hard, and I admire anyone who can do it, if only for a limited period

In the light of this, it would seem that a precious gift one could give one's children would be to bring them up in healthy eating habits from the start. Plenty of salads and fresh fruit, lots of vegetables, some fish and a moderate amount of lean meat at most. No sugary drinks. Of course, you have to learn to cook well to make this work, and it is wise to establish the custom of not snacking between meals: eating is something we do together as a family gathered round the table.

If that's what they are used to from the time they start eating solid food they will have no problem with it, and will thank you later.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

ceeboo wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:20 pm
It's never too late to join the party - Glad you showed up! Congratulations on the 20 pound drop. How long did this take you? And, if you could wave the magic wand, how much more would you like to lose, if any?
Thank you, Ceeboo! It took me about four months. If I could wave a magic wand, I would take off another 25 pounds.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:43 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:20 pm
It's never too late to join the party - Glad you showed up! Congratulations on the 20 pound drop. How long did this take you? And, if you could wave the magic wand, how much more would you like to lose, if any?
Thank you, Ceeboo! It took me about four months. If I could wave a magic wand, I would take off another 25 pounds.
Snape has no wand? Oh that's right. Voldemort. :shock:

It was interesting to read your comments on intermittent fasting. I've thought about that from time to time but I haven't known anyone who actually has done it. But my weight dropped like a rock two summers ago and I'm good with where it is. You are fortunate to have a year round climate that is good for walking.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Reporting in from the granola life kitchen.

Ceebs I am currently roasting the walnuts (one side with nothing, one side with maple syrup) today and the dehydrator is going for various fruits, some for eating and some for decor. I will report back on the nut roasting!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:11 pm
Reporting in from the granola life kitchen.

Ceebs I am currently roasting the walnuts (one side with nothing, one side with maple syrup) today and the dehydrator is going for various fruits, some for eating and some for decor. I will report back on the nut roasting!
DAMN!!!!

Walnuts roasted with pure maple syrup for the win! Holy cats! :o :o :o These are not going to last the afternoon.

Roasted at 350* for 15 minutes at high altitude. Normal instructions say 7-10 minutes.

I think that if you are someone who would like sweet/salty, you could sprinkle some sea salt with the maple syrup and you'd love it. I went with no salt.

I don't see why you couldn't serve these as part of the pre-dinner offerings for Thanksgiving. Sort of a healthy version spin off of Chex Mix that people so often enjoy.

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm
DAMN!!!!

Walnuts roasted with pure maple syrup for the win!

Those sound awesome. We do the same with pecans and eat them in yogurts, salads, and by the handful.

The only drawback is that they’re not light on calories when we’re eating them by the handful. : D
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:51 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm
DAMN!!!!

Walnuts roasted with pure maple syrup for the win!

Those sound awesome. We do the same with pecans and eat them in yogurts, salads, and by the handful.

The only drawback is that they’re not light on calories when we’re eating them by the handful. : D
YES, exactly the same thing that you do with pecans. I had made an apple bread a while ago, posted the recipe on the Score thread I think, and you reserved some of the walnuts to put on top. They all fell off so of course I started eating them and they were SO good!

This Christmas, I'm aiming to do at least 30% (if I can get to 50% I will) consumable gifts. I think the Maple Syrup Roasted Walnuts would be good in a glass pantry container (Mason jar that sort of thing) so you have something useful after the nuts are consumed and it's zero waste.

:mrgreen:

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes have you ever done it with almonds? I've not. Just wondering.

Slava Ukraini!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:41 am
canpakes have you ever done it with almonds?

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ceeboo wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:49 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:41 am
canpakes have you ever done it with almonds?

Feel free to answer if you can pull your mind out of the gutter! :lol:

Slava Ukraini!