Fat - Be - Gone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus 2.0
Nursery

Re: Fat - Be - Gone

Post by Marcus 2.0 »

Brack wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:37 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:26 pm
Hey Brack.

So are you happy with that? Or are you looking to loose a few? If yes, don't forget to post your "new" weight next Thursday, September 30th!

Hi Ceeboo,

I now have a girlfriend, and with having a girlfriend and it now being the Holiday season, it has been extremely difficult for me to lose any weight.
If you now have a girlfriend and still can't lose weight, you're doing "something" wrong. You should be sweating up a storm.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Ceeboo!

Remember, if you can get one … post a pic of the winning tower of rolls from tomorrow.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:18 pm
Ceeboo!

Remember, if you can get one … post a pic of the winning tower of rolls from tomorrow.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
And along these lines, shout out to all my weight lifting friends for this is the most glorious holiday of Gainzgiving. May all your bulking go everywhere but your bellies.

In the infamous words of Rich Boy "let's get this bread".
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Seemed like as good a time as any for a check-in. If anyone is still playing at home I hope you are surviving these holidays and are always still finding time to enjoy it.

We've spent a lot of time in this thread talking about various eating styles and diets along with the benefits of cardio, mostly walking, but I wanted to touch for a bit on something that basically every human being should be doing (following doctor approval if you have specific medical issues):

Strength Training!

I'm not just talking about meathead bodybuilding here either, I'm talking about the idea of applying resistance load to your various muscle groups in order to break them down so they can rebuild even stronger. Coupled with better eating and positive sleep habits it can be an amazing way to help along your health journey.

The benefits are numerous and I could likely spend a whole post detailing these things with the accompanying research but long story short, leaner bodies are healthier bodies. Strength training has been showing to improve performance in day-to-day tasks, reduce risks for falling, improve metabolic rates, improve self-esteem, strengthen your heart and bones, and even has some ties to better brain health.

The best part is you don't really need anything to start. Got a body? Got a wall? Got a chair? Got a jug of water or a paint can? Got 20 minutes? You likely have everything you need in order to begin a basic bodyweight training program. Think you can't get in shape from bodyweight workouts alone? Basically everyone in the calisthenics world would like a word.

Thankfully the internet provides a ton of great content for you to start as well. A quick search on youtube or google (or whatever your search engine of choice is) will provide countless free exercises and demonstrations to work through. I don't want to advertise any specific program/site here but if you need recommendations my DMs are always open.

Cursory reminder that at all times exercise should be a celebration of what our bodies can do and an effort to increase/prolong that ability, not be punishment for all our perceived unhealthy choices.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Where are you Ceeboo? You out there stuffing yourself with nachos? I gained 4 pounds. Exercise you say? I'm starting from---> square. one. I'm not even close to joking. Started with daily stretching and why? I JUST TOLD you, I'm starting at absolute square ONE.

Get over here! This is me at rock bottom, square one. Imma get on it before it gets ME. Watch me GO!

Pro Tip: Do not, I repeat do NOT buy these during the lead in to Christmas!!! Get thee behind me snow people!! Bad little snow people, BAD!!!

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Getting in your daily stretches is great! My training regimen includes dynamic stretching and I have a whole day dedicated to functional movement and mobility. Are you using any sort of guide or programming in you stretches or are you just focusing on what feels good?

The good news is you've picked a great time of year to start back at square one. Despite all the jokes around them, New Year's Resolutions can actually have some long term and lasting impacts especially when driven more towards process than to behavior-avoidance. Think of something like "establish a healthier diet" or "establish an exercise routine" rather than "no more sweets".
He/Him

― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xeno decades ago I was a member of an exercise class for years. I use the same stretching I used then before and after a work out only now I add stretches that I learned in Yoga classes. Interesting that all the stretches I was taught years ago are also part of Yoga practice. I just add a few that were new to me. I can just start with the first move and do it automatically. Anyway, no program, no video, no nothing. It's just me on the floor. :-)

I also do calves, hamstrings, feet, ankles during the day. In Yoga class I even learned toe separating stretches that were new to me. :shock: Those are important areas for me to get flexible again before I dive in. Arms and all, the Yoga and weights will take care of those in short order.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Sounds like you've got a great base to work from. Glad you're able to call upon that knowledge again.
Jersey Girl wrote:In Yoga class I even learned toe separating stretches that were new to me.
Along this thought process, as you advance in your yoga and begin to feel more comfortable I'd highly recommend some silicone toe separators. I often wear them just as foot relief but lately I've taken to using them while doing my yoga practice and some of my mobility training. They add a new element to focusing on my grounding and I've never felt as sure on me feet as I do currently. They are really odd and throw you off your rhythm at first but as your feet strength you'll be amazed at how sturdy your platform feels.

I use these but I'm sure any similar brand will work.
He/Him

― Xenophon
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:56 pm
Sounds like you've got a great base to work from. Glad you're able to call upon that knowledge again.
Jersey Girl wrote:In Yoga class I even learned toe separating stretches that were new to me.
Along this thought process, as you advance in your yoga and begin to feel more comfortable I'd highly recommend some silicone toe separators. I often wear them just as foot relief but lately I've taken to using them while doing my yoga practice and some of my mobility training. They add a new element to focusing on my grounding and I've never felt as sure on me feet as I do currently. They are really odd and throw you off your rhythm at first but as your feet strength you'll be amazed at how sturdy your platform feels.

I use these but I'm sure any similar brand will work.

Oh yeah and they even have yoga socks for toes! I never thought about toe stretches that separate the toes until I learned those in Yoga class. So simple. So beneficial. Prior to that of course there were flexing stretches but the toe separating was wow...a whole new level. Thanks for the link!

It's pretty sad that I have to prepare to restart Yoga practice but that's where it's at in the real world over here. I press on!

Slava Ukraini!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Update:

Hey all - Hope everyone is doing okay.

For the many who gave advice and/or contributed in this thread, I wanted to provide an update.

I recommitted on July 7th 2022 - I started meal prepping for the weekdays - I cut out all regular soda/juice (drinking black coffee, lots of water and an occasional "zero" coke or root beer. Tons of veggies/chicken/fish/greens. Walking daily (about 45-60 minutes) - I do allow myself a "cheat meal" once a week -This means I allow myself to eat whatever I want for one meal a week. An example of this is I might eat lasagna for dinner one night a week. My bride is doing this with me (I think this has helped a ton)

Results: My current weight is 202 (down about 25 pounds) - I feel good - I have more energy. Hope to start adding some light weight training (Just want to tone a bit)

Anyway, just wanted to provide a quick update and hopefully encourage anyone else who may be wanting to shed a few pounds too.