Fat - Be - Gone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Re: Fat - Be - Gone

Post by Xenophon »

Congrats, ceeboo! That is certainly quite an accomplishment. I'm happy to hear SO has joined in with you, I think living healthy is always much easier when you have backup (it definitely makes menu planning easier).

Have you picked up any tricks specific to your situation that you'd like to share or maybe a favorite recipe or snack? I often find the experience of shifting your lifestyle leads you to some solid wisdom.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey X-Factor!
Xenophon wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:03 pm
I'm happy to hear SO has joined in with you, I think living healthy is always much easier when you have backup.....
For me, this was a real game changer. Having my bride do this with me made all the difference. In addition, it made the entire process kind of fun.
Have you picked up any tricks specific to your situation that you'd like to share or maybe a favorite recipe or snack?
Tricks specific to my situation: We started eating a protein shake every morning - protein powder with various fruits. As someone who never used to eat breakfast, this was very helpful in many aspects. In addition to walking, we also started doing these follow along 30-40 minute low intensity YouTube cardio videos every day. Doing these WITH THE WIFE made it much easier to do and much more fun. While these videos aren't really that intense, they still made me sweat a ton by the time they were finished.

Recipes/Snacks: A wok! Cooking in the wok (chicken breast or steak with a ton of broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, carrots, onions, peppers, etc) usually use soy sauce or another store bought bottle/flavor (yeah, I know those aren't great but it sure makes it taste wonderful.)

And sweet potato - Never knew how delicious these babies were (no butter or anything - just eat)

Not really concerned with the number on the scale - more interested in how I feel and my energy level. Truth be told, my bowel movements have been fabulous - used to have issues with this topic for many years (sorry if that was TMI)

Anyway, thanks for the post.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Congrats, ceebs, that's a real accomplishment! It sounds like a great experience you and your spouse are enjoying together.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

All great stuff, ceebs. My wife and I work out "together" as well and that makes a huge difference. Even though our time in the gym is not always spent doing the same things. I love having an accountability partner, I enjoy that they are experiences we share together, and it is so much more bearable having your friend around for an otherwise difficult task.

Your wok meals do sound great and I wouldn't sweat the sauces and stuff too much right now, giving up frequent pizza and cheeseburgers is hard enough (at least for me) no reason to beat yourself up for a little soy sauce.
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:36 pm
Truth be told, my bowel movements have been fabulous - used to have issues with this topic for many years (sorry if that was TMI)
TMI or not that is a huge benefit. Folks don't like to talk about their poos but they are a terribly important thing. I'm happy that is working well for you. Generically I find all the "little" things like that are what help keep me focused. Better poop, better sleep, better sex, the list goes on and on.
Not really concerned with the number on the scale - more interested in how I feel and my energy level.
Well you know my philosophy, that is the way to be. When you focus on the positive and good choices the scale follows, and that is a healthy way to be.

Deep apologies to anyone that had to watch the 15 edits I made to this when I posted it well before it was ready.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:20 am
Update:

My current weight is 202 (down about 25 pounds) - I feel good - I have more energy. Hope to start adding some light weight training (Just want to tone a bit)
Ceeboo, that’s great news! Congratulations!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

ceeboo wrote:
Truth be told, my bowel movements have been fabulous - used to have issues with this topic for many years (sorry if that was TMI)
(I can't believe I'm asking this, but) what the Hell is the difference between a "fabulous" bowel movement and a non-fabulous bowel movement??
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:53 pm
ceeboo wrote:
(I can't believe I'm asking this, but) what the Hell is the difference between a "fabulous" bowel movement and a non-fabulous bowel movement??
Start taking Metamusil (or a generic equivalent) every day and you will soon be able to answer that question for yourself.

I wish I'd started that in my 20's. Best supplement ever.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Thanks to all for the warm replies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Shades! Hope all is well in your world.
Dr. Shades wrote:
ceeboo wrote:
(I can't believe I am answering this, but :) ) - The difference (for me personally) is cemented in my many years of having to deal with "emergency" bathroom visits. I was told I have IBS - Over the years, I took fiber in many forms but still had issues.

Now that I am eating differently (no greasy burgers, fries, ice cream, fast food, chocolate, chips, etc) I am convinced that my recent food choices are directly responsible for my recent regular healthy bowel movements - a.k.a. "fabulous".

I guess if someone hasn't had to deal with this before, it might be hard to relate.

Anyway, there you have it.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Water consumption is also a huge factor in bowel movement health and regularity. If you've been more diligent about getting your 8 8ozs, which is likely given your other changes, that matters quite a bit too.
He/Him

― Xenophon
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Dr. Shades wrote:
ceeboo wrote:
Fabulous bowel movements are the ones you almost feel you could reuse the toilet paper. :shock: