Thread for discussing climate change

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Thread for discussing climate change

Post by Atlanticmike »

Manetho wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:20 pm
USA Today wrote:Millions of Americans are under siege from heavier rains and longer droughts as climate change alters precipitation patterns from coast to coast.

Rising temperatures and rising oceans have for years been framed as the impending disasters on the crest of climate change. But this year, like few before it, changing rainfall patterns bullied their way into the collective consciousness, USA TODAY found in a yearlong reporting effort called "Downpour."

The reporting reveals a stunning shift in the way precipitation falls in America, and it makes clear the nation was built for the climate of the past. Roads, bridges, sewer systems and entire communities that decades ago seemed safe from fire and flood now lie within one or both danger zones.
(link)
Start preparing now and learn how to build an ark because in ten years or so will all be living on boats and pissing in plastic cups so we can purify our urine.
https://youtu.be/V6_oEmG7DzU
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 am
Spherical Solar Cells - doubling the power output of flat PV panels!
Solar panels are highly sensitive to what you might call 'sub-optimal' conditions...wrong angle of the sun, scattered sunlight, dust & sand, too much heat - all these things diminish the panels ability to generate power. But now a research team reckon they've overcome all those problems by creating a spherical version of the common solar PV panel. So, is this a practical proposition for the real world?
Thanks for sharing that. I have an app that shows how much carbon I’m saving with my array, and it’s been averaging about 30 lbs a day with a Winter solar path. I have no idea what that really means since power plants have to run 24/7, so who knows if I’m offsetting anything. However, I like to think the more people that participate in this energy sector the more we’ll actually get to some solutions that can help counter some of our destructive practices.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Start preparing now and learn how to build an ark because ........
If you need any help building the ark, let me know because I Noah guy.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

ceeboo wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Start preparing now and learn how to build an ark because ........
Is there a groan emojie? We need a groan emojie. Like, right now, people. NOW. :D
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:11 pm
ceeboo wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 pm

Is there a groan emojie? We need a groan emojie. Like, right now, people. NOW. :D
Ceeboo is funny funny😂!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:47 pm
Thanks for sharing that. I have an app that shows how much carbon I’m saving with my array, and it’s been averaging about 30 lbs a day with a Winter solar path. I have no idea what that really means since power plants have to run 24/7, so who knows if I’m offsetting anything. However, I like to think the more people that participate in this energy sector the more we’ll actually get to some solutions that can help counter some of our destructive practices.

- Doc
Every bit of energy you get from the sun rather than from a power grid partly fed by fossil fuels is a reduction in the rate at which we are pumping out carbon dioxide into the atmosphere to make global temperatures rise faster.

And hotter air means everything meteorological starts to work with the volume control turned up: heat waves and droughts make life more difficult in many places and at many times - but when a rain cloud decides to dump its load on you, that load will be much bigger than it used to be, because hotter air can hold a lot more water vapour. So there are droughts on an unprecedented scale, but also floods of a magnitude people are just not equipped to deal with. And as people are beginning to notice, this is already happening.

So keep those cells going up there.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Chap wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:54 pm
… but when a rain cloud decides to dump its load on you, that load will be much bigger than it used to be, because hotter air can hold a lot more water vapour. So there are droughts on an unprecedented scale, but also floods of a magnitude people are just not equipped to deal with.
I do wonder about that, how we’ll collect and distribute water in drought-flood cycles (contextually here in the US), especially with regard to to hurricanes in the east and drought in the west. Utah, for example, would need a 166% increase in moisture this year to break the drought. The Farmer’s Almanac be sayin’ we gon’ get a wet or heavy Winter this year, but you know, chicken bones thrown on the ground is a poor prediction process for meteorology.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Binger on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Binger wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 pm
I sorta miss extreme paralyzing fear and paranoia about acid rain, the ozone (particularly the hole over Australia), a new ice age, the end end end of fossil fuels. Those were much more fun than this political threat.
Do you think the rapid reaction to tackle the problem by banning harmful compounds by an international environmental agreement might’ve worked?

- Doc
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 pm
I sorta miss extreme paralyzing fear and paranoia about acid rain, the ozone (particularly the hole over Australia), a new ice age, the end end end of fossil fuels. Those were much more fun than this political threat.
The threats of acid rain and depletion of the ozone layer were both eliminated through the type of international agreement and cooperation that certain folks keep claiming is impossible with respect to climate change.

The new ice age was never a generally recognized threat in the scientific community. It was based on discover and analysis of the Milankovich cycles, but did not take into account other factors such as CO2 emissions. In a relatively short period of time, the National Academy of Sciences determined that the magnitude of the ice age threat was vastly exceeded by threat posed by greenhouse gas emissions.

The end end end fossil fuels is a prediction I've never understood. Doomsayers got to doom, I guess.

Climate change is a political issue only because certain industries with a metric crapload of investment in fossil fuels politicized the science as a tactic.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.