Thread for discussing climate change

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Re: Thread for discussing climate change

Post by Tinfoilhat »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:29 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

So, you going to tell us the main source of CO2 from your backyard chickens, or have you finished congratulating yourself on your last public display of self-righteous ignorance and ready to repeat the same pointless crap?
Well, my Brahma rooster Frank rides his moped to the convenience store a couple times a week to pick up a 40-ounce. He loves his Malt Liquor!! Out of all my chickens, that dumb mother fxxxer probably produces more CO2 ridin that moped then any other chicken I've ever met. Last year he almost burnt down my new chicken coop smokin a Doobie! I'd eat em, but he's a chick magnet and he can spermify a hen like no other rooster I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of cocks in my life, but Frank has got to be the biggest cock I've ever layed my eyes on. You want me to take a picture of him? I swear! You'll agree with me. Once you lay eyes on Frank you'll say, dang! That's the biggest cock I've seen in my life!
How did you teach him to ride a moped?
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Well, my Brahma rooster Frank rides his moped to the convenience store a couple times a week to pick up a 40-ounce. He loves his Malt Liquor!! Out of all my chickens, that dumb mother fxxxer probably produces more CO2 ridin that moped then any other chicken I've ever met. Last year he almost burnt down my new chicken coop smokin a Doobie! I'd eat em, but he's a chick magnet and he can spermify a hen like no other rooster I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of cocks in my life, but Frank has got to be the biggest cock I've ever layed my eyes on. You want me to take a picture of him? I swear! You'll agree with me. Once you lay eyes on Frank you'll say, dang! That's the biggest cock I've seen in my life!
How did you teach him to ride a moped?
Well, once he manned up and stopped being such a chicken about the whole situation it really wasn't that hard.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

So, while you rented about trucks and fossil fuel use, you never bothered to find out that transportation is a very small percentage of total CO2 emissions from egg production, whether backyard or commercial.

You didn’t bother to spend a few minutes reading a pdf to find out that the biggest source of CO2 when raising chickens is producing their feed. And because commercial growers are much more efficient at turning fed into eggs, their lower CO2 production per egg from feed more than offsets the increased CO2 from transportation that you thought was the only thing that matters.

So, your trollish bragging about being a man of action on climate change was just ignorant BS. It’s ironic to me that educated folks are stereotyped as arrogant, when it’s the deliberately ignorant who consistently display the most arrogance. Few things are more arrogant than claiming that one’s “common sense” overrides actual evidence.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:57 pm
It’s ironic to me that educated folks are stereotyped as arrogant, when it’s the deliberately ignorant who consistently display the most arrogance. Few things are more arrogant than claiming that one’s “common sense” overrides actual evidence.
That is by no means a new phenomenon on this board, and in particular in this forum.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:57 pm
So, while you rented about trucks and fossil fuel use, you never bothered to find out that transportation is a very small percentage of total CO2 emissions from egg production, whether backyard or commercial.

You didn’t bother to spend a few minutes reading a pdf to find out that the biggest source of CO2 when raising chickens is producing their feed. And because commercial growers are much more efficient at turning fed into eggs, their lower CO2 production per egg from feed more than offsets the increased CO2 from transportation that you thought was the only thing that matters.

So, your trollish bragging about being a man of action on climate change was just ignorant BS. It’s ironic to me that educated folks are stereotyped as arrogant, when it’s the deliberately ignorant who consistently display the most arrogance. Few things are more arrogant than claiming that one’s “common sense” overrides actual evidence.
I read or watch just about everything someone post. Doesn't bother me at all. A couple of days ago I told of how I don't use commercial chicken feed because here in Virginia the humidity makes the feed go bad fairly quickly so you end up buying only one or two bags at a time. So yes, you and Canpakes would be correct in saying that if someone had to drive to a feed store every week to buy chicken feed the CO2 emissions would be more than the commercial guys. But you don't need to buy commercial feed to raise chickens. Again, chickens have been raised for meat for thousands of years, feed stores are relatively new to the chicken raising game. Chickens will eat just about anything! My baby chicks are in what we call chicken tractors. Small rectangular enclosures sitting on the ground. Every other day we moved the chicken tractor to a new patch of grass. The hen and chiks get fermented feed we make ourselves. It's a mixture of wheat, barley, corn and a few other things. We soak it until it's fermented, it usually takes about four days. Once they're big enough, the chiks go into an enclosure that is just one big compost pile. They'll dig 4 to 5 feet down to get to bugs, worms, mice and whatever they can find. We have neighbors who supply us with scraps of leftover food that goes on the pile. We get food from restaurants. Also, we put in leaves, grass, branches, hay and whatever else we can scrounge up. It's a chicken heaven. I don't need electricity, heat lamps, or any other modern convenience to raise chickens. I've got it down to a science. My rabbit husbandry is even more impressive since I've been raising rabbits for most of my life.

What I don't think you understand is animals don't need to be spoiled to be raised correctly for meat production.

So read all the studies you want lawyer boy! But you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to raising a backyard of meat animals.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:02 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:40 pm
Where I get a little lost on the topic is in the long-distance transmission connections to grids - how far can electricity produced here actually make it to the end user there. So when the ‘dispatchable plant’ fires up its biomass or whatever generator in Raleigh, does that electricity make it to NYC without serious loss? I should just google this, I guess.
That's a relatively easy one to answer. If you have two wires connecting a generator to a power consuming unit such as a motor, then the power input into the wires by the generator is:

Pin = I x V, where I is the current passing through the wires, and V is the potential difference (voltage) between the generator output terminals.

If the total resistance of the transmission wires is R, then the power lost as heat in the transmission wires is Ploss = I^2 x R

The trick therefore is to keep transmission losses low by keeping the current small. But you can still transmit a lot of power by making the voltage V very high, since it is I x V that determines the power.

So long distance power lines have very high voltages, and (relatively) small currents. They often also use DC rather than AC, but that is not the main point.
I literally didn’t understand any of that. Do I feel ashamed? Yes. Am I going to pretend that sending electricity over long distances isn’t a problem based off your post? Yes. Am I confused by your statement regarding DC and transmission? Yes. But that’s only because I read this cartoon by the Oatmeal:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Could I google DC vs AC and something something power grids to be less ignorant? Yes. Am I going to do it? I dunno. Maybe.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

You still don’t get it, roofer boy. The topic is lifecycle greenhouse gas production, and you don’t know anything about it. You’re fixated on emissions from driving, when they are a minor issue.

Okay, you feed your chickens wheat, barley and corn. Someone has to raise the wheat, which creates CO2 emissions. Someone has to grow the barley: CO2 emissions. Someone to grow the corn: CO2 emissions.

Do your chickens range around the backyard? If so, they’re using more food per egg than a commercial grower. The feed you describe is less efficient at egg production than what commercial growers use. You have to count everything. You’re paying attention only to what you want to count.

What you are deliberately ignorant of is the life cycle production of greenhouse gases in commercially grown v. Backyard grown chickens. It doesn’t matter if you read everything I post. Hell, I’m a lawyer who also knew nothing on the subject. The difference is, I know what I don’t know and am willing to admit it. So I find people who do know. But when I find it and hand it to you on a silver platter, you refuse to read it and continue talking out of your ass.

Let me be clear: I’m not criticizing your choice to raise chickens. There are lots of perfectly good reasons to do so, ranging from cost to taste of the eggs to humane treatment of the animals. What’s completely phony is your weak-ass bragging about raising backyard chickens a action against climate change. It isn’t. But, by the same token, I’m not going to accuse you of destroying the planet by raising backyard chickens. Because any increase in emissions is simply a small pimple on a big ass problem.
he/him

Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:11 am
You still don’t get it, roofer boy. The topic is lifecycle greenhouse gas production, and you don’t know anything about it. ......... [snipped]........ Because any increase in emissions is simply a small pimple on a big ass problem.
Ya know. I know nobody wants to see or acknowledge this, but, the roofer boy has been making this point the whole time. In fact, as far as I can tell, the emissions as a small pimple has been the only point.

I may be wrong, but, I think that chickens and quail was a topic to make a point. The point was not about chickens, it was about the pimply puniness of your/our personal role in all of it. If anyone thought this was a conversation about actual chickens...... well, that’s something.

I like having chickens. I could not care less about their carbon footprint because, don’t matter.

Res is right. Atlanticmike is right.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:11 am
You still don’t get it, roofer boy. The topic is lifecycle greenhouse gas production, and you don’t know anything about it. ......... [snipped]........ Because any increase in emissions is simply a small pimple on a big ass problem.
Ya know. I know nobody wants to see or acknowledge this, but, the roofer boy has been making this point the whole time. In fact, as far as I can tell, the emissions as a small pimple has been the only point.

I may be wrong, but, I think that chickens and quail was a topic to make a point. The point was not about chickens, it was about the pimply puniness of your/our personal role in all of it. If anyone thought this was a conversation about actual chickens...... well, that’s something.

I like having chickens. I could not care less about their carbon footprint because, don’t matter.

I think you are reading Mikes argument exactly backwards. He was very clear in what he said. In fact, he argued against my position that voluntary individual action is insufficient to address the problems posed by climate change.
he/him

Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:44 am
Cultellus wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 am

I think you are reading Mikes argument exactly backwards. He was very clear in what he said. In fact, he argued against my position that voluntary individual action is insufficient to address the problems posed by climate change.

That is fair. And not incorrect.

I am not making much of a conclusion about his argument, I am restating his point as I see it. He may be yammering on and on about chickens and CO2, most of it just yammer, but the point was solid. The point being, get your eggs and chicken how you like it or how you can because, minor pimple of a factor in anything.

Res says, small factor in a big problem.
Atlanticmike says, small factor so what? Have fun and eat fresh!

I see agreement.