Thread for discussing climate change

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: Thread for discussing climate change

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm
So basically, what this thread proves is that Mike lives in a disinformation bubble detached from reality.
I don’t think this is the only possibility. I think it demonstrates what we are all subject to. If he goes there regularly, the changes he sees are gradual. It can be hard for us to see just how much things changed without a good reference point to contrast against. If our reference point is last week, then we are somewhat more unlikely to notice the changes that have occurred over decades (especially if they aren't incredibly stark).

It's kind of like where I live. We've got two seasons. We have the season of baking cookies in your car (one of the weekly's actually did this a few years back with butter cookies in a car), and the season of leave your door open to cool things off at night. It's hard to truly notice a few degrees difference when it's almost always mind-numbingly hot. I don't notice the difference in the summer. To me, despite obvious data to the contrary, there hasn't been a change in summer temperatures.

Similarly, if I went out to the lake right now, after not having been there in probably 7-8 years, it would blow my mind how low it is. If I was going out there every single week, I might have a kind of awareness that is lower, but it won’t be as apparent because it was a gradual change from my perspective.

The changes from Mike's perspective are likely indistinguishable because of the perspective of the nearness of his data points.
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:36 pm
What will the islands that make up the outer Banks look like in 30 years? Will I be able to drive a vehicle there, get out and enjoy the beach or will it all be under water? I mean, you guys seem to have all the answers, when will the islands be covered in water?
So it only matters when it affects you personally, eh? Because it's already affecting a hell of a lot of other people.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Manetho wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:48 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
What will the islands that make up the outer Banks look like in 30 years? Will I be able to drive a vehicle there, get out and enjoy the beach or will it all be under water? I mean, you guys seem to have all the answers, when will the islands be covered in water?
So it only matters when it affects you personally, eh? Because it's already affecting a hell of a lot of other people.
Weather has always affected people. Gee whiz!
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:50 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Probably because of racism or sexism.
Bla bla bla
Hahahaha😂😂, sorry, I had to laugh at this because one of the progressive prophets of climate change just said the exact same thing in a speech a few days ago. You guys crack me up😂😂.

Here!! Watch Prophet Greta bla bla bla just like you in this speach. She's trying to indoctrinate a bunch of young kids so they will be good little servants when they grow up.
https://youtu.be/RqiCPHB4DDI
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:57 pm

Same old crap. Some people's feelings matter more than the facts or the question at hand. They are so affected.
Well, I am still waiting for Mike to give me a serious response.
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:57 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:31 pm
The consequences will be an earth that will be overun with lush, healthy vegetation, providing abundant sources of food. Also, lots of greenery to help absorb all the ""excess"" CO2 you guys keep complaining about.
Did you know vegetables are becoming less nutritious? Check out nutritive data published in the 1890s by the USDA and compare it to today's nutritive data.

https://soils.wisc.edu/facstaff/barak/p ... olis2000a/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7516302113
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:57 pm
Some people's feelings matter more than the facts or the question at hand.
You were both given facts by multiple posters in this thread. Atlanticmike whizzed on by them to focus on personal anecdotal evidence. So is that all he cares about?
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:51 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:

What will the islands that make up the outer Banks look like in 30 years? Will I be able to drive a vehicle there, get out and enjoy the beach or will it all be under water? I mean, you guys seem to have all the answers, when will the islands be covered in water? I'll say it again, I'll be surfing in the exact same place, in front of the exact same houses on the exact same beach in 30 years. You guys are brainwashed. Cult much??
Atlanticmike makes an important and valuable point. A crucial one. If he lives that long and surfs that long, chances are higher that he would win the bet than lose it. A lot higher.

I would wager that if any of the homeowners of those houses sold them today, the banks would offer a 30-year mortgage to the buyer and they would be able to get insurance. The money is on Atlanticmike in this wager. I would be long Mike and short Alf.

This does not mean that there is not scientific evidence of changes on the globe or that there is not scientific evidence that humans contributed to that change. It means that the predictive models for the shape of that beach are likely fer crap and that wagering that the beach will be mostly the same is a damn safe bet.
Exactamundo!! When the progressive prophets start selling their beach front properties maybe then I'll start worrying. But that's not happening because they're professional con artist. I'm telling ya cultellus, these guys we're talking to on this board are in deep man.

Bernie, Obama, gore, Clinton and a lot of the other PROGRESSIVE prophets all have multiple houses with multiple electric bills, multiple cars, take private jets, and so on and so on. Yeah! They're really worried about climate change!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

So, Atlantic Mike, just so I understand: when you say this:
I've been surfing and fishing on the same beach for 40 years and nothing has changed so far.
What you actually mean is this:
I'm down there all the time. The islands are constantly changing, always.
Is that correct?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
What will the islands that make up the outer Banks look like in 30 years? Will I be able to drive a vehicle there, get out and enjoy the beach or will it all be under water? I mean, you guys seem to have all the answers, when will the islands be covered in water? I'll say it again, I'll be surfing in the exact same place, in front of the exact same houses on the exact same beach in 30 years. You guys are brainwashed. Cult much??

Mike, are you trying to tell me that climate change and sea level changes don't happen because you can still surf along a particular stretch of shoreline?

I think that there’s some brainwashing here, but it might be much closer to you than you believe. : D
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:41 pm
Blaming those fires on global warming makes NO sense and your link makes that point very well.
The cause of a fire doesn't determine how far it spreads once it has begun.
Manetho wrote:as the wildfire season grows longer because of drier conditions.