Thread for discussing climate change

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Thread for discussing climate change

Post by doubtingthomas »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:31 pm
The consequences will be an earth that will be overun with lush, healthy vegetation, providing abundant sources of food. Also, lots of greenery to help absorb all the ""excess"" CO2 you guys keep complaining about.
Did you know vegetables are becoming less nutritious? Check out nutritive data published in the 1890s by the USDA and compare it to today's nutritive data.

https://soils.wisc.edu/facstaff/barak/p ... olis2000a/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7516302113
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

I'm surprised more hasn't been said about the desalination of the ocean due to melting ice, and how that affects climate.

https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/cl ... n-currents
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:17 pm
If Atlantic Mike is surfing on the barrier islands, he really hasn't been paying attention: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... se-climate
I'm down there all the time. The islands are constantly changing, always. If you go to carova North Carolina there are tree stumps that become exposed from beach erosion just about every winter and are covered back up usually around April or May. Some of the stumps are even 6 to 700 yards out in the ocean. The stumps are 1000s of years old. Erosion has always been a problem down there for thousands of years and I'm sure way way longer.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm
So basically, what this thread proves is that Mike lives in a disinformation bubble detached from reality.
What it proves is I'm not in a political cult like you progressives.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:36 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:17 pm
If Atlantic Mike is surfing on the barrier islands, he really hasn't been paying attention: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... se-climate
I'm down there all the time. The islands are constantly changing, always. If you go to carova North Carolina there are tree stumps that become exposed from beach erosion just about every winter and are covered back up usually around April or May. Some of the stumps are even 6 to 700 yards out in the ocean. The stumps are 1000s of years old. Erosion has always been a problem down there for thousands of years and I'm sure way way longer.
See? Forget it. A-m has seen stumps come and go. So all shall be well.

Don't worry. Be happy.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Chap wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:57 pm
Good posts here!

Seriously, we have to realise that Atlanticmike is just a regular guy, who is trying to tell things the way he sees them. And, given the way he looks at things, he just doesn't see what is really going on.

To do that, you need to gather data long-term and analyse them systematically. That's not what you do if you just go fishing and surfing every summer. Eventually, Atlanticmike's favourite resort will be so damaged by the effects of sea level rise that he will notice. Then, I presume, he will just move up the coast till he finds somewhere that is still OK.
I'll bet you $10,000 I'll still be surfing the same places in 30 years.
Last edited by Atlanticmike on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:37 pm
Alf'Omega wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm
So basically, what this thread proves is that Mike lives in a disinformation bubble detached from reality.
What it proves is I'm not in a political cult like you progressives.
That's exactly what it proves, because you're just regurgitating the talking points from whatever Right Wing outlet you perused that day. This is no mystery, we can easily connect the dots with what you're saying, to the crap we've heard from the likes of Rush Limbaugh for decades. Talking points from your cult of denial that have been debunked for years. Virtually everything you claim has been debunked in record time on this thread, by numerous people using numerous sources. All you have is your anecdotal evidence and the fact that you're using this as proof of something indicates you don't even understand the basics about climate change.

This reminds me of the idiot Republican legislator who came into congress a few years ago with a Snowball to prove Climate change was a hoax.

Because it is cold. Right then. Where he was. That disproves global warming only to the rationally challenged.

This is like saying world hunger isn't an issue because you haven't personally seen anyone starve to death. And because you just ate at a buffet.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 pm
Chap wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:57 pm
Good posts here!

Seriously, we have to realise that Atlanticmike is just a regular guy, who is trying to tell things the way he sees them. And, given the way he looks at things, he just doesn't see what is really going on.

To do that, you need to gather data long-term and analyse them systematically. That's not what you do if you just go fishing and surfing every summer. Eventually, Atlanticmike's favourite resort will be so damaged by the effects of sea level rise that he will notice. Then, I presume, he will just move up the coast till he finds somewhere that is still OK.
We don't take pesos. But you can be surfing in 30 years sure. Who said otherwise? All that's required to surf is a friggin wave. No one said climate change was getting rid of waves.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:44 pm
I hope the conference goes well. Where is the point of no return? Meaning, at what point will policy be too late and make no difference?
Nobody knows. Right now the choice is between bad and worse. And, based on the numbers, we’re opting for worse.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:56 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 pm

We don't take pesos. But you can be surfing in 30 years sure. Who said otherwise? All that's required to surf is a friggin wave. No one said climate change was getting rid of waves.
What will the islands that make up the outer Banks look like in 30 years? Will I be able to drive a vehicle there, get out and enjoy the beach or will it all be under water? I mean, you guys seem to have all the answers, when will the islands be covered in water? I'll say it again, I'll be surfing in the exact same place, in front of the exact same houses on the exact same beach in 30 years. You guys are brainwashed. Cult much??