Giuliani reveals under oath no evidence for stolen election.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Giuliani reveals under oath no evidence for stolen election.

Post by honorentheos »

That was fascinating reading and insightful. Thanks for sharing it, Physics Guy.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

As for the dilemma, it is an interesting problem. The thoughts I had in response to it were, does that explain why in reality, either you need a police state to get things done, or a charismatic leader that gets people on board a central issue emotionally? Another possibility is maybe gridlock is the best we can do, and from there, immediate pressures force the issue as they develop. okay, that throws good planning out the window, but that's only a problem if planning works.
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Post by Tinfoilhat »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:51 am
As for the dilemma, it is an interesting problem. The thoughts I had in response to it were, does that explain why in reality, either you need a police state to get things done, or a charismatic leader that gets people on board a central issue emotionally? Another possibility is maybe gridlock is the best we can do, and from there, immediate pressures force the issue as they develop. okay, that throws good planning out the window, but that's only a problem if planning works.
Wow 👌
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I hope that dictatorship isn't the only way to avoid discursive dilemmas. I think I may have seen it argued, though, that it's a reason why two-party systems are actually good, because they force everyone to whittle things down to just two alternative plans, instead of allowing three options. Sometimes things that look stupid, like two-party politics, may be better than improved systems with bad hidden problems.

Junior military officers are taught a problem-solving approach which relies on always identifying one single issue as "the critical factor" and letting it shape the plan. Nobody pretends that this is epistemologically sound, but by getting you to a plan quickly it addresses a serious problem that critical thinking classes do not anticipate, namely getting shot while you're still making your plan. Maybe in a similar way polarised two-party politics is actually a good solution to problems from which we don't realize it's saving us, like bizarre three-way gridlocks.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I felt like this update fell under this thread.

Lev Parnas and Andrey Kukushkin have been found guilty.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.