Bidenflation reaches 30 year record high

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Bidenflation reaches 30 year record high

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:36 pm
517,000 jobs added in January, and lowest unemployment since 1969. Let's go Brandon.
Just another day without Trump. Glorious isn't it?
employment-feb23.jpg
employment-feb23.jpg (67.84 KiB) Viewed 407 times
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:40 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:08 pm

I don't believe in retirement. I just have a rainy day fund. I have no plans nor desires to ever retire.
Your attitude on this is just like my racist stepfather who didn't retire from AT&T until he was 76. Make no mistake about it. He served zero purpose at his age but he refused to retire until they practically forced him to. Up until that time he was essentially a charity case. During his last 10 years with the company I would always hear his in-home "conference calls" in his "office" and it was always everyone else speaking. He never spoke nor did anyone ever ask for his input. What a charade.

When we asked why he doesn't just retire he said he wouldn't know what else to do with his life. Like ajax, his life is absolutely miserable and I think both of them prefer to see their refusal to retire as some kind of virtue when in reality it is because they're too lazy to try enjoying life like most functional humans. He doesn't like culture, he doesn't like going out to places, he doesn't like music of any kind, he doesn't like art, he doesn't like anyone speaking anything but English, he doesn't care for much of anything other than Alabama football in the Fall. He wakes up every day to literally the same day that consists of a morning trip to Waffle House after watching his FOX & Friends morning show, then he goes home. I think I mentioned this before but their plasma TV I helped install 8 years ago has the FOX News logo emblazoned like a watermark on the bottom left corner of the screen no matter what channel the TV is on. This is because they rarely change the channel to anything else. His home is still filled with all kinds of gimmicky crap sold to him from FOX News. He still has his Bill O'Reilly coffee cup, his Sean Hannity attire and his "My pillows" which he admits aren't very good pillows at all. Whenever he sees a white and black person kissing on a commercial he'll mumble "cut that out... there used to be a time when people knew their place." What a sad creature he has become.
What a miserable “F”. We’re through-hiking the Uintahs this year with a possible side trip to hike Mt. Whitney. I’ll have to resign from my current side gig, but whatever. There are things that are more important than working. What a shame that Ajax is happy with being a slave.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:14 pm

What a miserable “F”. We’re through-hiking the Uintahs this year with a possible side trip to hike Mt. Whitney. I’ll have to resign from my current side gig, but whatever. There are things that are more important than working. What a shame that Ajax is happy with being a slave.

- Doc
I wish I could hike long distances but I blew out my right knee in college and then broke my other knee while trying to play football again at age 40 in Brazil. Whenever I squat down it sounds like I'm sitting on a bag of potato chips. :lol:

But at age 52 I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to maximize my quality of life during retirement. I still have a soon to be 10 year old boy but my daughter is in college and my 17 year old will be in college next year. Once my youngest in in college I've decided I want to sail around the world and I've already been shopping around for a 50' Catamaran or maybe a Trimaran. I got hooked on the idea when I accidentally came across a youtube channel called Sailing Zatara. It is a family of six that gave up corporate America and has been sailing around the world living on their Catamaran for about 6 years now. These people literally go whenever the hell they want with passports, anchor on the most beautiful beaches in the world and spend their days fishing, scuba diving and parasailing. All the kids do schooling virtually and recently their oldest just left the boat to go to college.

I told my wife I wanted to start taking classes to learn how to sail. But the more I'm looking around the more interested I am in this 55 foot "Silent Yacht" that operates 100% using solar panels. This just blew my mind.

It is either do this or I suppose the other option is I could form a cocoon at home, never leave the house, bury my head in politics and teach myself to hate and blame everyone that isn't like me for all my problems.
Last edited by Vēritās on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

That solar yacht looks amazing. Like, really amazing. I think if you can pull off the long-term financials you should seriously consider it. The closest we’ll get to yachting are the two kayaks we port to the bodies of water near us. Heh.

I suppose if you believe when you die you’ll have the life you’ll never have here, it’s easy to stay in a mental, spiritual, and physical rut. I find it tragic, To be honest. So many Mormons just ‘endure until the end’ instead of thriving. They treat this life as a crucible to be tolerated with the promise of something that tickles their pickle? I guess? None of them can really get down to brass tacks with regard to what the eternities will be like. If I had to guess, they probably believe it’ll be drudgery, much like the lives they live now. I dunno. Maybe they have tennis and pickle ball for the huwites in heaven.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:14 pm

- Doc
What he said. Get off your butt and do something, Ajax. Work isn't life. It's only the means to a life. As for me, I'm planning to go overseas again probably in early fall. God willing I'll be hiking London, Edinburgh, and Dublin this time. :)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:02 pm

It is either do this or I suppose the other option is I could form a cocoon at home, never leave the house, bury my head in politics and teach myself to hate and blame everyone that isn't like me for all my problems.
We both retired early. Actually the Boy retired at a fairly early age and I left work before I was even eligible to retire. You will never regret it! I absolutely love this season of life! If I wanted to book a flight out of DEN right now and go anywhere I want in the world, I can do it. If I wanted to outfit the house with new furniture, I could do it. If I wanted to buy a brand new vehicle today, I can do it. If I wanted to build a new house on acreage and pay cash for it, I can do it. Actually we DID do that. ;)

We lived below our means for our entire life and still do to a certain degree. Now we get to reap the benefits of that and we get to bless others.

p.s. We still drive beaters. :lol:

p.s. The car I drive regularly is 22 years old and runs like a dream! :lol: :lol:

p.s. I'm not bragging about anything. All I'm saying is be pro-active in your decisions.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:28 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:02 pm

We both retired early. Actually the Boy retired at a fairly early age and I left work before I was even eligible to retire. You will never regret it! I absolutely love this season of life! If I wanted to book a flight out of DEN right now and go anywhere I want in the world, I can do it. If I wanted to outfit the house with new furniture, I could do it. If I wanted to buy a brand new vehicle today, I can do it. If I wanted to build a new house on acreage and pay cash for it, I can do it. Actually we DID do that. ;)

We lived below our means for our entire life and still do to a certain degree. Now we get to reap the benefits of that and we get to bless others.

p.s. We still drive beaters. :lol:

p.s. The car I drive regularly is 22 years old and runs like a dream! :lol: :lol:

p.s. I'm not bragging about anything. All I'm saying is be pro-active in your decisions.
Good for you! It really does blow my mind how some people prefer to be unhappy in this life because they think it will reap them rewards in the next.

Next week we're heading down to Fortaleza Brazil as a family. A Christmas gift from my wife. We'll be there 10 days and we're already shopping around for a beach front property to invest in. You can get a 4 bed 3 bath 3,000 sq ft place right on the beach for under $200k. I've never been there but it is on the northern coast of Brazil close to the equator so it is very hot all year around with no hurricane threats. I've never been this excited about going to Brazil. We're planning to do helicopter touring, scuba diving, etc while we're there.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

when in reality it is because they're too lazy to try enjoying life like most functional humans.
Too lazy to go on a permanent vacation like the rest of you? I guess from your skewed perspective that makes sense.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 pm

Good for you! It really does blow my mind how some people prefer to be unhappy in this life because they think it will reap them rewards in the next.

Next week we're heading down to Fortaleza Brazil as a family. A Christmas gift from my wife. We'll be there 10 days and we're already shopping around for a beach front property to invest in. You can get a 4 bed 3 bath 3,000 sq ft place right on the beach for under $200k. I've never been there but it is on the northern coast of Brazil close to the equator so it is very hot all year around with no hurricane threats. I've never been this excited about going to Brazil. We're planning to do helicopter touring, scuba diving, etc while we're there.
That sounds awesome! 8-) What a good price on a house on the beach, too! See? There's all kinds of benefits in being proactive. Look. If two kids from Jersey who started out with the very clothes on their backs, two cars, and a stereo can do what we've managed to do, then I say anyone can. We're not particularly smart about investments though we do have some. What we have been smart about is hanging on to a buck when we needed to and not trying to keep up with other people. I have seen so many people blow through the kind of money that we hung on to and grew with purpose. Back then the interest rates on CD's was 13+%. Something people would kill for today.

You're not going to get younger, you'll never be more physically able (though of course you can improve) than you are today. We never expected the Boy to be hit with so many physical limitations at this point but he keeps going in spite of it. I wish he could travel with me because I feel a little guilty leaving him behind though he seems to like having me gone. No one knows why. ;)

As for the afterlife, I think God gave this world to us to take care of, to serve others, be smart in our choices as best we can and enjoy this planet that we believe he made. Maybe believing folks should think more about that. What good is beautiful Brazil, the UK, Europe, etc., the beaches, the mountains, the deserts if we weren't intended to go out there and take it all in?

Okay, that might be another topic but still...

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:09 pm
when in reality it is because they're too lazy to try enjoying life like most functional humans.
Too lazy to go on a permanent vacation like the rest of you? I guess from your skewed perspective that makes sense.
Earlier you said you didn't believe in retirement and right here, you play your cards. You think that unless you remain in the work force you have no value.

Slava Ukraini!