CNN chief medical correspondent admits PROGRESSIVE network CNN lied about Ivermectin treating Covid.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: CNN chief medical correspondent admits PROGRESSIVE network CNN lied about Ivermectin treating Covid.

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:37 am
But what about “horse” did Gupta say was a lie?
Was Gupta reading the thread at the link below?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102633
Res Ipsa
God

Re: CNN chief medical correspondent admits PROGRESSIVE network CNN lied about Ivermectin treating Covid.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Well, that looks like a lie about horse. But the horse part wasn’t a lie. And nobody admitted to a lie, not even Gupta.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Stand up proudly for that dewormer, Cultellus.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:04 am
Well, that looks like a lie about horse. But the horse part wasn’t a lie. And nobody admitted to a lie, not even Gupta.
I believe Dr. Gupta acknowledged that the network misrepresented Rogan taking prescribed Ivermectin as if he had gotten horse medication and was taking "horse dewormer". The doctor prescribed it at as an anti-viral and Dr. Gupta agreed the reporting was framed to make Rogan look like a nut rather than someone who was taking a prescribed medication for the purpose it was prescribed.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Please!! This subject is so fxxxin stupid. Lots of medications that are used by humans are also used by veterinarians to prescribe to animals. we had a foster dog that took the animal version of two human drugs. CNN purposely tried to convince their viewers Joe Rogan took a drug that would be prescribed to an animal and they did it to discredit and defame Rogan. This guy explains it perfectly. I hope Rogan sues the shxx out of CNN.

https://youtu.be/oDBRGKFY50Y
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
I believe Dr. Gupta acknowledged that the network misrepresented Rogan taking prescribed Ivermectin as if he had gotten horse medication and was taking "horse dewormer". The doctor prescribed it at as an anti-viral and Dr. Gupta agreed the reporting was framed to make Rogan look like a nut rather than someone who was taking a prescribed medication for the purpose it was prescribed.
Oh, so the story should have been that Rogan found a quack to prescribe him snake oil. No wonder the horse is upset.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:12 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am

Oh, so the story should have been that Rogan found a quack to prescribe him snake oil. No wonder the horse is upset.
I don't know. Dr. Gupta seemed onboard with the medication being reasonable to prescribe for humans as an anti-viral, and the CNN report was misleading. I think it deserves being cautious in assuming the "horse dewormer" narrative is not problematic and polemic rather than accurate.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I should add, I think it's reasonable to argue that someone who refuses to get a vaccine but is willing to take a medication that is not clinically proven to combat COVID is not being consistent in their risk assessment.

But I think there is a difference between someone who hears about Ivermectin as a treatment espoused by some conservative talking head who takes medication prescribed by a vet for animals, and someone who pursues a prescription from a medical doctor based on it's potential antiviral benefits.

Calling the doctor a quack just because he gave the prescription is playing into the argument from a questionable position.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The problem with Gupta is that he's one of these successful, genuine dudes with faith in humanity. He really goes out of his way to find common ground with Rogan. Rogan isn't stupid, but he isn't that smart either. He is a decent debater, and he's tricky. From the the initial topic of marijuana, Joe sets him up and Gupta walks into it. Gupta a little too friendly with the joint supposition that mainstream x was wrong about marijuana, and independent students of the bong were right all along. This is what his audience wants to hear: the authorities and elitists were wrong, and the 'regular guy' was right.

When Rogan heaped his righteous indignation upon Gupta, "My doctor prescribed it!", Gupta should have asked, "Did your doctor also recommend that you not get vaccinated?"

Did your doctor recommend that you not get vaccinated, and instead, wait to see if you contract Covid-19 and if you do, take Ivermectin to cure it?

Rogan's arguments are horrible, but Gupta just sort of goes along with him to find common ground. The fact that Rogan works out all the time and is in shape is terrible justification. There are elite athletes far healthier than Rogan steamrolled by Covid. "Fat people" (Rogan's words) will also win playing the numbers game far more often then they will lose, with Covid.

I don't recall Gupta admitting that Ivermectin is legitimately prescribed as an anti-viral. He may have acknowledged that it is prescribed as a medication for humans in other contexts. He may have admitted that it's successful "in vitro" with Covid, but that Joe presses that point so heavy just shows his ignorance. There are dozens of chemicals that block Covid "in vitro". I've mentioned before, "in vitro" Sars-Cov-2 can be blocked 100% by HCQ + Camostat. Real life isn't as easy. Ivermectin has been studied long before Sars-Cov-2 for anti-viral properties, with success in vitro, but not much beyond that. Sure, it should be taken seriously along with all the other potential chemicals, but it shouldn't be peddled as serious treatment.

While I thought it was funny -- and isn't Rogan a comedian? -- the CNN blurb was probably misguided. This is the same situation you run into with apologists, where a critic goes too far taking down one of their insane theories, and the apologists end up right on a minor point of no real significance, and from then on, they can't stop talking about it. For instance, that Interpreter hasn't ceased publishing as some guy on the Internet said it would ten years ago, is one of DCPs great successes.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:18 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:12 pm

I don't know. Dr. Gupta seemed onboard with the medication being reasonable to prescribe for humans as an anti-viral, and the CNN report was misleading. I think it deserves being cautious in assuming the "horse dewormer" narrative is not problematic and polemic rather than accurate.
I think Gupta most likely agreed with the FDA which said this drug should NOT be used to treat COVID. Rogan is ignoring the context of what the CNN correspondent said. Yes, he did take a drug that is used to treat deworming. Is it also used to treat COVID? No. Not by legit medical professionals. The FDA recommended against it.

Too much is being read into Gupta's reaction to Rogan's hissy fit. He was clearly trying to change the subject but Rogan knows his idiot base is listening and he loves to bash CNN.