CNN chief medical correspondent admits PROGRESSIVE network CNN lied about Ivermectin treating Covid.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: CNN chief medical correspondent admits PROGRESSIVE network CNN lied about Ivermectin treating Covid.

Post by Res Ipsa »

This notion that medications can be divided into human medication and livestock medications is silly. The discoverer of ivermectin was awarded the the Nobel Prize in 2015, and it wasn’t because he invented an effective livestock drug. Ketamine, used by vets as an animal tranquilizer, has been discovered to be effective in treating severe depression that is resistant to treatment by other methods. Many medications are useful in both humans and non-humans, and the order in which those uses is discovered doesn’t make them human medications as opposed to animal medications.

CNN and other media played up the horse angle because it was the sensational part of the story, when the important part of the story was that it was dangerous to take ivermectin at the dosage required to have any effect on COVID-19.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: CNN chief medical correspondent admits PROGRESSIVE network CNN lied about Ivermectin treating Covid.

Post by Res Ipsa »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:08 pm
https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehea ... lines.html

Ivermectin has been used for years to treat parasitic infections all over the world, to include immigrants entering the US as a preventive measure. Granted, I can’t find how much Ivermectin has been used on humans versus animals so I can’t challenge Alf’s assertion vis a vis animals getting more of it versus humans.

- Doc
I'm just basing this off the NPR report:

"His methods included taking ivermectin, a deworming veterinary drug that is formulated for use in cows and horses. While a version of the drug is sometimes prescribed to people for head lice or skin conditions, the formula for animal use is much more concentrated."

Of course, thanks to the rise of Magatards, human consumption of the drug probably surpasses that of animals in 2021.
You’re being very US centric here. Perhaps up you should broaden your horizons:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... ocerciasis
he/him

Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:29 pm
Alf'Omega wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 pm

I'm just basing this off the NPR report:

"His methods included taking ivermectin, a deworming veterinary drug that is formulated for use in cows and horses. While a version of the drug is sometimes prescribed to people for head lice or skin conditions, the formula for animal use is much more concentrated."

Of course, thanks to the rise of Magatards, human consumption of the drug probably surpasses that of animals in 2021.

Well, yeah. Because we do live in the USA and so does Rogan. But I'm sure there are third world countries where conditions are so dire that people get infected with the same kinds of parasites that infect farm animals.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:48 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:29 pm

Well, yeah. Because we do live in the USA and so does Rogan. But I'm sure there are third world countries where conditions are so dire that people get infected with the same kinds of parasites that infect farm animals.
Yeah, because millions of blind Africans simply aren't important enough to mention.
Onchocerciasis, commonly known as “river blindness”, is caused by the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus.
It is transmitted to humans through exposure to repeated bites of infected blackflies of the genus Simulium
Symptoms include severe itching, disfiguring skin conditions, and visual impairment, including permanent blindness.
More than 99% of infected people live in 31 African countries. The disease also exists in some foci in Latin America and Yemen.
The Global Burden of Disease Study estimated in 2017 that there were 20.9 million prevalent O. volvulus infections worldwide: 14.6 million of the infected people had skin disease and 1.15 million had vision loss
But, yeah, let's talk only about the cows.
he/him

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

For folks raising such a stink about the media’s use of horse dewormer, what is the precise reason for their outrage? Is it based solely on the idea that Rogan was prescribed the ‘human’ version/dosage of the drug? Or is something else going on, here?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:56 pm
We can say, then, that Rogan was taking human dewormer. : )
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:56 pm
Alf'Omega wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:48 pm

Yeah, because millions of blind Africans simply aren't important enough to mention.
Onchocerciasis, commonly known as “river blindness”, is caused by the parasitic worm Onchocerca volvulus.
It is transmitted to humans through exposure to repeated bites of infected blackflies of the genus Simulium
Symptoms include severe itching, disfiguring skin conditions, and visual impairment, including permanent blindness.
More than 99% of infected people live in 31 African countries. The disease also exists in some foci in Latin America and Yemen.
The Global Burden of Disease Study estimated in 2017 that there were 20.9 million prevalent O. volvulus infections worldwide: 14.6 million of the infected people had skin disease and 1.15 million had vision loss
Yeah, I already conceded this when I said "there are third world countries where conditions are so dire that people get infected with the same kinds of parasites that infect farm animals."

So basically the full, unbridled truth is that Ivermectin is primarily used in the United States as a deworming agent for livestock. There is a version designed for humans but it is not commonly taken in first world countries. It is commonly taken in African countries where people suffer from River Disease. Did I miss anything? Somehow I doubt Rogan would have been pleased if CNN had put it like this.
Last edited by Alf'Omega on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:58 pm
For folks raising such a stink about the media’s use of horse dewormer, what is the precise reason for their outrage? Is it based solely on the idea that Rogan was prescribed the ‘human’ version/dosage of the drug? Or is something else going on, here?
I'm not sure he was prescribed this drug. He had the box on his desk and pointed it out to Gupta and said, "Someone gave me this." Later he said a doctor prescribed it, but what doctor would prescribe something like this for COVID?

I think the context is important here. For months there have been stories of livestock stores running out of Horse Paste because people were taking it. Then along comes Joe Rogan who gets COVID and tells the world he took the same drug, albeit a milder version of it. I think the concern is that Rogan's influence will encourage people to be reckless with their health and everyone else's as well.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

An informative video. A woman shares her experience with Ivermectin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxaAOtt6ITc