NFL denies leak amid John Gruden scandal

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: NFL denies leak amid John Gruden scandal

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:17 am
Ajax, it’s almost as if you’re trying to provide us an example (or two) of systemic racism.
:lol: Yeah! That too!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 am
But it is not justifiable grounds for stereotyping all liberals and progressives as inherently racist, which I can't help suspecting is the real intent of your OP.
That’s be quite a feat. I don’t know of too many liberals and progressives who are into football very much. Aren’t they out hugging trees and driving electric cars to their local coffee shops, instead of having tailgaters at the arena? : D

Did I miss some kind of connection made by ajax?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:31 am
Gunnar wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:26 am
But it is not justifiable grounds for stereotyping all liberals and progressives as inherently racist, which I can't help suspecting is the real intent of your OP.
That’s be quite a feat. I don’t know of too many liberals and progressives who are into football very much. Aren’t they out hugging trees and driving electric cars to their local coffee shops, instead of having tailgaters at the arena? : D

Have you forgotten? Black people disrespected the flag because the NFL let them (and apparently, the flag is same thing as the national anthem). At least, that's the message the ajax types took away from all that.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:

Right! As if there were no liberals or progressives who are avid football fans! :roll: I think we both know better than that! Perhaps Ajax's bias and projection is showing here. Perhaps he is determined to believe that all liberals and progressives are inherently racist (like he is) and eagerly concludes that the perceived racism in the NFL organization must mean they are all liberals or progressives.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 am
canpakes wrote:

Have you forgotten? Black people disrespected the flag because the NFL let them (and apparently, the flag is same thing as the national anthem). At least, that's the message the ajax types took away from all that.
But if the NFL let them disrespect the flag, why would they also discriminate against them?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I guess asking Xanax for a source on his assertion is fruitless.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:03 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 am

But if the NFL let them disrespect the flag, why would they also discriminate against them?
Nobody ever accused a racist of being rational.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:05 am
I guess asking Xanax for a source on his assertion is fruitless.

- Doc
The NFL Will Stop Assuming Racial Differences When Assessing Brain Injuries

PHILADELPHIA — The NFL on Wednesday pledged to halt the use of "race-norming" — which assumed Black players started out with lower cognitive function — in the $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims and review past scores for any potential race bias.

The practice made it harder for Black retirees to show a deficit and qualify for an award. The standards were created in the 1990s in hopes of offering more appropriate treatment to dementia patients, but critics faulted the way they were used to determine payouts in the NFL concussion case.

Wednesday's announcement comes after a pair of Black players filed a civil rights lawsuit over the practice, medical experts raised concerns and a group of NFL families last month dropped 50,000 petitions at the federal courthouse in Philadelphia — where the lawsuit had been thrown out by the judge overseeing the settlement.

Repeated Head Hits, Not Just Concussions, May Lead To A Type Of Chronic Brain Damage
Senior U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody later took the unusual step of asking for a report on the issue. Black retirees hope it will include a breakdown of the nearly $800 million in payouts so far by race. They fear the data will never come to light.

"Words are cheap. Let's see what they do," said former Washington running back Ken Jenkins, whose wife Amy Lewis led the petition drive on behalf of NFL friends struggling with cognitive problems. Jenkins, an insurance executive, has so far been spared.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/10026273 ... ury-claims

From one of your own sources DocCam
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Not that I watch the NFL anymore, but I found this article pretty interesting.

I still watch the NFL. The NFL now has 7 teams going to the playoffs from each Conference, and this is the first NFL 17-game season. Link
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Seems to me this is a blessing in disguise for the Raiders. They rallied after what happened to Gruden last week and completely owned the Broncos Sunday. Their interim coach seems well-respected and their new play caller appeared clairvoyant.

It's too early to know how this will affect the team long term, but given how they bounced back in the first week, they'll probably be more than fine.

Which sucks. The Raiders are one of my least favorite franchises. I prefer to erase the memory of Jerry Rice ever playing for that team. (I say this fake enthusiasm - it's much harder for me to hate a sports team than it used to be. With free agency and the rarity of a player playing for one team his whole career, it's hard to hold on to a real dislike of any team. It's the players that matter, not the team logo).