Is the Holocaust fake news? You decide!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Is the Holocaust fake news? You decide!

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:32 am
The mainstream media is a partisan Democrat propaganda outlet.
So ... Fox News is not mainstream? OK ...
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Ha, yeah seems like Fox defines mainstream now, but to give Ajax the benefit of the doubt, I have a question.

Can Ajax give me an example of a news item published by an alternative news source that I won't be able to learn anything about from "mainstream" news sources?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:54 pm
Ha, yeah seems like Fox defines mainstream now, but to give Ajax the benefit of the doubt, I have a question.

Can Ajax give me an example of a news item published by an alternative news source that I won't be able to learn anything about from "mainstream" news sources?
Umm, I suggest you add a qualifying phrase there, so that "news item" becomes "a news item that is verifiable as being substantively true".
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Report: Virginia Dept. of Education Told Schools to ‘Embrace Critical Race Theory’ While Terry McAuliffe Was Governor
Former Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), who persistently denies Critical Race Theory (critical race theory) exists in schools, oversaw the Virginia Department of Education in 2015 when it encouraged using critical race theory, according to a slideshow that surfaced this week.

The slideshow, unearthed by investigative reporter Christopher Rufo, is titled “Legal Implications of School Discipline: Street ‘CRED’ (Culturally Responsive and Equitable Discipline)” and features multiple mentions of critical race theory, the controversial catchall concept dominating education policy debates across the country.

The presentation is dated September, 22, 2015, and was published by the Education Department under McAuliffe, who is now running for governor again.

One slide, describing “culturally-responsive alternatives to suspension” to educators, notes to “incorporate Critical Race Theory lens,” while another slide cites professor Geneva Gay with the quote “critical race theory makes learning more appropriate and effective for students.”

A third slide advises to “embrace Critical Race Theory” and “engage in race-conscious teaching and learning.”

The new document showing that the state was implementing critical race theory under McAuliffe’s reign in Virginia comes as McAuliffe vehemently denies critical race theory is being taught in schools, despite a slew of evidence contradicting his position.

“Let’s just be clear. We don’t teach Critical Race Theory. This is a made up, this is a Trump-Betsy DeVos-Glenn Youngkin plan to divide people, and it really bothers me,” McAuliffe said Sunday on CNN, referring to his opponent, Republican gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin.

On Tuesday, McAuliffe doubled down on his stance, saying during an appearance on MSNBC that Youngkin “talks about Critical Race Theory. He talks about having these parents meetings on Critical Race Theory. It really bothers because it is a racist dog whistle. We don’t teach Critical Race Theory here in Virginia.”

In June, McAuliffe dismissed critical race theory as a “right-wing conspiracy” and called it “totally made up by Donald Trump and Glenn Youngkin.”

McAuliffe’s campaign did not respond to Breitbart News’s request for comment on the newly surfaced slideshow.

In response to McAuliffe repeatedly refusing to acknowledge critical race theory in schools, Youngkin’s campaign charged in a statement to Breitbart News on Thursday that McAuliffe wants to “keep parents out of the classroom so his special interest allies can force their radical political agenda into classrooms and tell children what to think instead of teaching them how to think.”

Youngkin, who has for months made education a focus of his campaign, began amplifying his messaging on the issue following the last gubernatorial debate, in which McAuliffe said, “I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach.”

McAuliffe’s debate remark was met with mass backlash, and it prompted Youngkin to create a now-widely circulated campaign ad and launch a “Parents Matter” initiative, which involves the Virginia Republican hosting rallies across the state promoting his education policy, including his vow to ban critical race theory in schools.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... -governor/

But we don't teach critical race theory in schools. We don't hide rape stats at schools or refuse to expel the students who commit such acts because they're black and we must view punishment for such crimes through the lens of critical race theory.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

OK, so you’re stuck on this derail, I guess. : )

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:54 pm
One slide, describing “culturally-responsive alternatives to suspension” to educators, notes to “incorporate Critical Race Theory lens,” while another slide cites professor Geneva Gay with the quote “critical race theory makes learning more appropriate and effective for students.”

A third slide advises to “embrace Critical Race Theory” and “engage in race-conscious teaching and learning.”

Sounds like the District asked teachers and administrators to approach their profession with race considerations in mind. I don’t see an issue with that, if it’s done rationally and competently.

The new document showing that the state was implementing critical race theory under McAuliffe’s reign in Virginia comes as McAuliffe vehemently denies critical race theory is being taught in schools of, despite a slew of evidence contradicting his position.

Notice how this is weasel-worded.

The district can ask teachers and administrators to use critical race theory ideals in their approach to students, while never once teaching critical race theory (whatever you think that means, as it is always conveniently left undefined when discussed) to any student.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:44 pm
... critical race theory (whatever you think that means, as it is always conveniently left undefined when discussed) ...
Ajax18: In (say) six sentences, written by you, what do you think critical race theory is?

There is no right or wrong answer here - i just want to know what YOU mean when you use the term.

Just so i can understand better.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Chap wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:13 pm
canpakes wrote:
... critical race theory (whatever you think that means, as it is always conveniently left undefined when discussed) ...
Ajax18: In (say) six sentences, written by you, what do you think critical race theory is?

There is no right or wrong answer here - i just want to know what YOU mean when you use the term.

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op ... 2106260005
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
canpakes wrote:

There’s no way he answers this as requested.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

From your link:

“The grassroots pushback against critical race theory is rooted in the best of the American tradition: a rejection of racial essentialism in favor of individualism, an enthusiastic endorsement of agency rather than determinism, a willingness to stand united against tribalism.”

I’m not convinced that either Ben or you really believe in these solutions.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
canpakes wrote:

What would be your six sentence ‘meaning’ of critical race theory?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.