A PROGRESSIVE NIGHTMARE! SMALL TOWN IN GEORGIA REQUIRED EVERYONE TO OWN A GUN

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Physics Guy
God

Re: A PROGRESSIVE NIGHTMARE! SMALL TOWN IN GEORGIA REQUIRED EVERYONE TO OWN A GUN

Post by Physics Guy »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:59 am
The unexpected one for me, in a way, is the renaissance playing RPGs has gone through for me since starting to DM for my daughter and her friends a year ago.
I went through a phase of this a few years ago, when our kids and nephews and nieces were all early teens or younger. The enthusiasm might have lasted longer if I had been able to keep it up better. I used a radically simplified ruleset that I just cooked up; the core mechanic was to roll a d6 and have something unexpectedly bad happen on a 1, something unexpectedly good on a 6, and otherwise just decide what seemed likely.

It wasn't really necessary to simplify so much for this age group, but more complex rules didn't really add anything for them, either. Some hard rules I found for this age group, however, were these:
1) The drawings that players make of their characters are the most important items on their character sheets. Doing the drawings is a major phase of game start-up.
2) Every character gets to have a pet.
3) Nothing bad can ever happen to anyone's pet.
4) Shops in which you can stop and buy stuff must appear at regular intervals regardless of circumstances.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Moksha
God

Re: A PROGRESSIVE NIGHTMARE! SMALL TOWN IN GEORGIA REQUIRED EVERYONE TO OWN A GUN

Post by Moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:51 am
Oh yeah, and guns. Didn't even think of them, but then, I've never really been thrilled by firing a gun. Seems like cheating to me.

A real man uses a bow, arrows, and his own wits.
What???! A real man uses destruction and conjuration staffs, and none of that illusory or alteration magic. The stuff that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery would be proud to perform. None of that pussyfooting through the forest zinging arrows at a guard's knees or blasting away at deer or elk with a gun. Oh no, blasting a cave entrance open with a bolt of destruction magic or conjuring a fire atronach to watch your back while your did your business behind your bushes.

By the way, a REGRESSIVE'S nightmare would be for Trump to revert to his toad state during a rally and potentially explode into a thousand surgical masks that his followers would be forced to wear lest they too might revert.

Guns are just a pretext so we do not discover the toad status of Trump's internet lackeys.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:59 am
The unexpected one for me, in a way, is the renaissance playing RPGs has gone through for me since starting to DM for my daughter and her friends a year ago. Until last fall I hadn't played in well over a decade, maybe almost two decades. But once I got back into it, I spend a lot of time working on the campaign, painting minis, making maps, etc. I listen to podcasts to learn new things or get ideas, and have embraced the nerdiness of it. Again, don't know if it's a midlife crisis thing, a way to cope with the social constraints of the pandemic, or what. But it led to my connecting with a neighbor who it turns out plays so we've been working out plans for a neighborhood game, too. Nerds.
A friend of mine has given me both the Player's Handbook and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything to get me into playing, and it's worked. The guys have me hooked. I never really played D&D as an adult (I think the only version I really played a lot of was AD&D which I think was version 2, although I used to play a lot of Neverwinter Nights which was based on the 3.5 rule set). I've basically had to relearn the game with the 5e rules, but I must say that I really like this version. It feels a lot more balanced to me.

But yeah, I've been enjoying that a lot in my advancing years too. It's really more about that kind of improv and collaborative creation I enjoy than thinking how much of a badass my vengeance pally is and looking for loot. It's also a great excuse to hang with friends.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:47 pm
Chap wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:18 pm
Like I said, guns are dull things. You squeeze the trigger, they go bang, and metal comes out of the other end very fast. There's lots of different sorts, but basically they all do that. So what?
I’ve always had a similar feeling about weapons and firearms.

When I was around 12, my buddy brought his nunchucks and throwing stars to my house, because ninjas were the crap at the time, and he showed me how to twirl the ‘chuks around a bit. So I twirled them around a bit, and that was about as far as my desire went with regard to to twirling them around a bit and fantasizing about whacking an opponent on the head. We threw the stars a bit, too. We threw them at trees, my house, at some more trees, at the ground, my house a bit more, and the trees just in case they didn’t get the message.

And that was that.

While in service I shot all sorts of stuff. I even bought a couple of guns, though an AR-15 was almost purchased because I was shooting my service M4 quite bit and it had all the cool crap people spaz over, I thought I’d need to have for some vague reason. The urge to buy a rifle quickly passed because my buddies had their own AR-15s and I could fire them and not have to worry about cleaning them.

To be honest, I always had either a ‘this is a pain in the ass and I’d rather be doing something else’ feeling or just ‘meh’. No matter how many times I pointed a firearm at something and pulled the trigger I couldn’t find it interesting. You aim, pull the trigger (or press a button), an explosion happens, and then a projectile went that a way.

And then you had to clean the firearm. God I hated everything about that. Lame.

- Doc
Very interesting. I have friends and family that have carried gun interests from the Army and Marines into their civilian lives. Others have walked away from the military and experience an amount of PTSD from any connection, including guns but also something as pedestrian as hiking.

Here is a stereotype generalization I will make and share. The fetishes of military guns, and the retail market for those guns, is made up mostly of ding dongs that know nothing about the military experience and have zero need for the guns, except that they need to be douchebags.

Vets have a spectrum of experiences and interests. But the clown worshipping of the military gear (guns) seems to apply to a narrow band of actors.

I worked in the VA system, primarily with airborne infection control, never with mental healthcare. We did a lot in the methadone clinics, trauma centers and ICUs. When we did work in the lockdown and psyche areas it was a different process. I have enormous respect for the men and women that need that care, and the men and women providing the care. Huge respect.

I am beginning a project for the largest hospital in the DOD network. A pilot program for the DOD. I can tell you, despite the institutional flaws, the healthcare providers there are great to work with.

Anyways. Back to regular bombastic things. Carry on.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 pm
Some people find it relaxing to shoot targets, clean their weapons, tinker with them and such.
This reminds me of the homicide cases I have heard about where the defense claimed by the defendant was that the gun, mistakenly thought to be empty, accidentally discharged during the process of being cleaned. This, in turn, reminded me of a cartoon I once saw depicting a dead woman with an arrow protruding from her heart, and her husband explaining to the investigating police officer that he was just cleaning his bow when it accidentally discharged, killing his wife.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:05 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 pm
Some people find it relaxing to shoot targets, clean their weapons, tinker with them and such.
This reminds me of the homicide cases I have heard about where the defense claimed by the defendant was that the gun, mistakenly thought to be empty, accidentally discharged during the process of being cleaned. This, in turn, reminded me of a cartoon I once saw depicting a dead woman with an arrow protruding from her heart, and her husband explaining to the investigating police officer that he was just cleaning his bow when it accidentally discharged, killing his wife.

You trying to tell me something, Gunnar? :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am
Just be very sure your gun is completely empty before you clean it -- and your bow too! ;)
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:33 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am
Just be very sure your gun is completely empty before you clean it -- and your bow too! ;)
I'll go you one better, okay? I'll stay completely away from the guns. It's not like I've never fired them, but I don't like them at all and see no reason for them. I would very much like to have an archery set again, though!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:52 am
I'll go you one better, okay? I'll stay completely away from the guns. It's not like I've never fired them, but I don't like them at all and see no reason for them. I would very much like to have an archery set again, though!
Yeah, I already knew how you feel about guns. I obviously feel the same way. I took archery as one of my electives in junior college decades ago and enjoyed it. Maybe I ought to seek an opportunity to take it up again.