Vaccinated and Dead Thread

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Cultellus

Vaccinated and Dead Thread

Post by Cultellus »

Colin Powell.

Good guy. RIP.

Bad war, but a good guy. I still struggle to wrap my head around that. I hope I never come to terms with it. Bad war. Good guy. How can that even happen? He was a good guy on a bad team. I can settle with that.
Gadianton
God

Re: Vaccinated and Dead Thread

Post by Gadianton »

Wow, the OP is even off-topic. I'm not going to report it though.

Concerning Colin Powell, who was fully vaccinated but died of Covid-19:
CNN: a trustworthy news source wrote:Gen. Colin Powell had multiple myeloma, according to a source familiar with the matter. Multiple myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response
For those inclined to conservative politics, I'm just pointing this out as it might not be understood, but plasma cells are what create antibodies. C'mon A-Mike, Cult, Ceebs, be honest, did you guys know that? If you say you did I'll take your word for it. But if you didn't, basic knowledge like this is important when confronted with a fact that appears shocking, such as a person who was vaccinated dying. At 82, with an underlying condition that directly counters the efforts of the vaccine, it's not unsurprising.

The best defense for people with compromised immune systems and underlying conditions is for everyone else to get vaccinated also, to minimize the risk of exposure in the first place.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 pm
Wow, the OP is even off-topic. I'm not going to report it though.

CNN: a trustworthy news source wrote:Gen. Colin Powell had multiple myeloma, according to a source familiar with the matter. Multiple myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response
For those inclined to conservative politics, I'm just pointing this out as it might not be understood, but plasma cells are what create antibodies. C'mon A-Mike, Cult, Ceebs, be honest, did you guys know that? If you say you did I'll take your word for it. But if you didn't, basic knowledge like this is important when confronted with a fact that appears shocking, such as a person who was vaccinated dying. At 82, with an underlying condition that directly counters the efforts of the vaccine, it's not unsurprising.

The best defense for people with compromised immune systems and underlying conditions is for everyone else to get vaccinated also, to minimize the risk of exposure in the first place.
Yep. Knew that.

Gad, cut ceebs loose on this association. You are picking a fight with a guy for trying to do good things. I am the evil joker here. He is not. Let it go. Take a few more swings at me if you need to. I am cool with it. ceebs may be cool with the swipes too, but we are not aligned like you describe us.

A-Mike is just Gilbert Gottfried on a roof. You can put me and him in any Saloon any time for any reason.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:42 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 pm
Wow, the opening post is even off-topic. I'm not going to report it though.

Yep. Knew that.

Gad, cut ceebs loose on this association. You are picking a fight with a guy for trying to do good things. I am the evil joker here. He is not. Let it go. Take a few more swings at me if you need to. I am cool with it. ceebs may be cool with the swipes too, but we are not aligned like you describe us.

A-Mike is just Gilbert Gottfried on a roof. You can put me and him in any Saloon any time for any reason.
I have better hair than Gilbert.

https://youtu.be/jxRokRZyL8w
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

RIP, General Powell. :(

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

General Colin Powell (1937-2021): Warrior and Diplomat Undone by the Establishment He Supported
General Colin Powell, the first black Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Secretary of State, died Monday morning from complications of COVID-19.

He led a storied military career and emerged on the political scene as a Republican who challenged his party to do more to reach out to minority communities. His stature was considerably undermined after he was used to push the Iraq War on a flawed basis, and after he became a perennial supporter of Democratic presidential candidates.

Powell was born in Harlem, New York, in 1937 and attended the City College of New York at a time when it was full of future leaders and Nobel laureates.

Though he described himself as an average student, Powell’s studies and his service in the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps set him on a path for a trailblazing military career. He served two tours in Vietnam, and developed close ties to the military and political hierarchy that helped him climb the policymaking ladder in Washington.

He was named National Security Advisor under President Ronald Reagan in the aftermath of the Iran-Contra scandal, in which he was described as having been a “bit” player.

He retained his military commission and was later promoted to the rank of general under President George H. W. Bush, who elevated Powell to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

During the Gulf War, he developed the “Powell doctrine” of using overwhelming, disproportionate force against any enemy.

[perhaps the only thing I he was right about]

Powell later revealed that he was a Republican, and was immediately popular among the Republican base. A “Draft Powell” movement began in the mid-1990s, in a bid to urge him to challenge then-incumbent President Bill Clinton.

Powell declined to run but gave a prominent speech at the 1996 Republican National Convention, in which he controversially declared, “I believe in a woman’s right to choose and I strongly support affirmative action,” and urged the GOP to be more inclusive.

In 2001, President George W. Bush named Powell to the post of Secretary of State, immediately commanding respect on the world stage due to his military career and his long record of service.

In 2003, the Bush administration gave him the job of making the case for the Iraq War to a skeptical United Nations Security Council. Powell presented what he said was evidence “that Saddam Hussein and his regime are concealing their efforts to produce more weapons of mass destruction.”

As the war continued, and there was little evidence of weapons of mass destruction, Powell was criticized for his role in selling the war to the American public and the world on the basis of what was, at best, faulty intelligence. His stature, both internationally and domestically, would never recover.

However, Powell would soon find a ready audience for his views during election season, when he would endorse the Democratic candidate for president, starting with Barack Obama in 2008.

Powell renewed his endorsement for Obama in 2012, and backed Hillary Clinton for president in 2016 against Donald Trump. He consistently criticized Trump throughout his presidency, echoing false claims by other retired generals in 2020 that Trump had violated the Constitution in his walk across Lafayette Square.

He endorsed Joe Biden for president, earning a retort from Trump, who called him “a real stiff who was very responsible for getting us into the disastrous Middle East Wars.”

The White House indicated in a statement on Monday morning that Powell died from the coronavirus despite being “fully vaccinated,” a revelation that is certain to fuel the continuing controversy about vaccines and mandates.

The more enduring debates about Colin Powell will be about his role in the Iraq War, his repeated criticisms of the Republican Party, and whether he allowed himself to be manipulated by the Washington political and media establishment for their own ends.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021 ... supported/
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

But it still counts as a COVID death and a murder committed by the Trump administration I'm sure. We better shut the economy back down to 70% for a few more years and keep people in masks indefinitely. Cancel Christmas until we have eradicated COVID or in other words forever.

Good riddance General. May you find yourself in the presence of GHWB, John McCain and the other globalists, America last, establishment politicians you so dearly loved. Barack and Mitt Romney will soon be there to meet you.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

We better shut the economy back down to 70% for a few more years and keep people in masks indefinitely. Cancel Christmas until we have eradicated COVID or in other words forever.
Alternatively, Ajax, you can tell your friends and relatives to leave the de-worming meds for horses and take the vaccines. I'd probably compromise and say get 90% vaccination rates and drop all mask mandates.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I hope his family is able to adequately grieve and heal. I always wonder how difficult it must be to deal with the deeply personal and private hurt of losing a loved one when the one you lost is a public figure (in particular, a public figure with a polarizing legacy).

Also, “F” cancer.
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:47 pm
We better shut the economy back down to 70% for a few more years and keep people in masks indefinitely. Cancel Christmas until we have eradicated COVID or in other words forever.
Alternatively, Ajax, you can tell your friends and relatives to leave the de-worming meds for horses and take the vaccines. I'd probably compromise and say get 90% vaccination rates and drop all mask mandates.
One of the things that hurt the Left’s argument against taking Ivermectin is that it’s been a miracle drug that hundreds of millions, if not billions of people, have taken to combat parasitic infections:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=1.11111

The link above is an excellent breakout or breakdown of the drug and its beneficial uses. I’m all for people taking Ivermectin if prescribed by a physician. Granted, if they just get the shot the amount of people turning to Ivermectin to combat the Covid-19 virus would be vanishingly small.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.