I Don't Believe You

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: I Don't Believe You

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:22 pm
This takes the OP to a whole nuther level. Believe it first, based on our own memory and filters, and then call it factual.

No need. One only needs to read the threads to see the fact of your behavior from what you posted.

Which is why you delete your posts. They’re too incriminating. : D
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Lem wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:30 pm
Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:22 pm

THIS IS F'ing EXCELLENT. Hell yes on this.

If we believe it, then it becomes fact?

This takes the opening post to a whole nuther level. Believe it first, based on our own memory and filters, and then call it factual. So, basically, a set of facts can be memories or anything we want. If someone rejects your memories and recollection, by your standard, they are rejecting facts and are not believable.

I think I am going to edit my posts to say something along the lines of our beliefs becoming our facts - even if we do not have (or in the case of Chap where we refuse to see) actual facts. The 50 Cent contribution may have run its course. Thanks, Lem.
Lol. Just going to quote this one too, before you get scared and start deleting again.
Deleting my posts is not based in fear. I do not wash the dishes because I am scared. I do not wash this game/forum/silo because I am scared. I just do it. I am really not sure how you, or anyone on this board, are so victimized by that but I really do not give a half of a fraction of a damn either.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:35 pm
Lem wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:30 pm

Lol. Just going to quote this one too, before you get scared and start deleting again.
Deleting my posts is not based in fear. I do not wash the dishes because I am scared. I do not wash this game/forum/silo because I am scared. I just do it. I am really not sure how you, or anyone on this board, are so victimized by that but I really do not give a half of a fraction of a damn either.
No intellectually honest poster deletes their posts (actually you modified them, you didn't delete them).
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Sure you do. You wash your dishes because the old stuff left behind becomes disgusting, and you’re scared that it will harm you.

Great metaphor for your posting; thank you.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

I'm glad these few posts here were thought provoking for you, Cultellus. Like we discussed back on that thread I think the language choice just had very different connotations for us. I meant it more of a "helped him cross the finish line" with the goal being to get him to a place where he accepted his doctors advice for his best health and I think it read to you as something more aggressive. That happens, especially on message boards where getting to clarity can take much longer (I think ceebs had a whole thread about this earlier :D ). And you're absolutely correct that the process looked much more like a real conversation with both sides weighing in. We discussed his fears and concerns, my concerns for him, what evidence was available, what his doctor had told him, and a hundred other things.
Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:52 pm
Applying the vulnerability that happens with a personal connection is the difference. And I agree with you. These connections obviously do not happen typically in a Twitter silo or a forum of people with masks and fake names.
Some connections can occur here and I've personally witnessed that vulnerability you speak of on this very board but I agree that the these kinds of interactions occur most easily in-person, at least in my experience. That is why I spoke some of the "layers" I believe conversations have here, one of the big ones being the ability to take what we learn here and share it back with those in our lives that we can actually have more intimate back and forths with.

Part of our ability to do that here or not starts with our motivations for posting here (this really sounds familiar, ceebs). Not everyone is here for the purpose of changing hearts and minds. Not everyone is here to learn. All you can really do is start with you own motivations, understand they likely aren't perfectly matched with others and then all you can control is how you react.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:37 pm

No intellectually honest poster deletes their posts (actually you modified them, you didn't delete them).
Is this a rule you made up, using your awthoreetay as Patrolperson of the Board?

I have used delete and edit interchangeably, as others have on this board. I clarified that the process allows posts that have not been answered to be deleted, but one can only edit a post after someone has subsequently posted in the thread.

At no point, ever, in my life or in my contribution to this board, have I claimed to be intellectual. I am NOT intellectual at all. I am just a guy whose dad was a Vietnam era army draftee who died from addictions and disease, I was raised by a very young single mother, didn't finish high school with my class, barely graduated from college because I was working 70 hours a week while in school and scrambled like hell to get anything. I am an alcoholic with a brutal disease that could have taken my life, and I let it get that bad. So yeah, say whatever the Screw you want, Jersey. But rules that apply to intellectuals do not apply to me, because I ain't.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:46 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:

Is this a rule you made up, using your awthoreetay as Patrolperson of the Board?

I have used delete and edit interchangeably, as others have on this board. I clarified that the process allows posts that have not been answered to be deleted, but one can only edit a post after someone has subsequently posted in the thread.

At no point, ever, in my life or in my contribution to this board, have I claimed to be intellectual. I am NOT intellectual at all. I am just a guy whose dad was a Vietnam era army draftee who died from addictions and disease, I was raised by a very young single mother, didn't finish high school with my class, barely graduated from college because I was working 70 hours a week while in school and scrambled like hell to get anything. I am an alcoholic with a brutal disease that could have taken my life, and I let it get that bad. So yeah, say whatever the Screw you want, Jersey. But rules that apply to intellectuals do not apply to me, because I ain't.

There’s no requirement to be ‘an intellectual’ (however you want to define that) in order to be intellectually honest.

From everyone’s favorite source, Wiki:

Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving, characterised by an unbiased, honest attitude, which can be demonstrated in a number of different ways:
  • One's personal beliefs or politics do not interfere with the pursuit of truth;
  • Relevant facts and information are not purposefully omitted even when such things may contradict one's hypothesis;
  • Facts are presented in an unbiased manner, and not twisted to give misleading impressions or to support one view over another;
  • References, or earlier work, are acknowledged where possible, and plagiarism is avoided.
Harvard ethicist Louis M. Guenin describes the "kernel" of intellectual honesty to be "a virtuous disposition to eschew deception when given an incentive for deception".

Intentionally committed fallacies in debates and reasoning are called intellectual dishonesty.

Pretending that you can’t be intellectually honest because you’re “not an intellectual” might be intellectually dishonest, however.
; )
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Cultellus wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

At no point, ever, in my life or in my contribution to this board, have I claimed to be intellectual. I am NOT intellectual at all. I am just a guy whose dad was a Vietnam era army draftee who died from addictions and disease, I was raised by a very young single mother, didn't finish high school with my class, barely graduated from college because I was working 70 hours a week while in school and scrambled like hell to get anything. I am an alcoholic with a brutal disease that could have taken my life, and I let it get that bad. So yeah, say whatever the F you want, Jersey. But rules that apply to intellectuals do not apply to me, because I ain't.
Being intellectually honest doesn't require being an intellectual.

Eta: I see cp already told you that.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Congrats. I turned off the Laundrie case breaking news to answer the above post. Don't worry, this won't take long.

Here you are trying to appeal to and take advantage (at the very least) traits of my personality make up that you've no doubt seen on this board. Don't even TRY that with me. Because on the list of my great and not so great traits, is the fact that I can read you like a damned book. There's nothing wrong with my observation skills, my ability to collect and record information over time, recall it and assess it. Try not to forget that about me. It will serve you well in the future. Did you think I didn't know what you were doing when you approached me the first time?

I don't give a crap how knocked around you were in childhood, how many afflictions you suffer from, how hard you worked or whatever else crap you think you're going to lay on me. Nothing in your list of crap justifies the way you've conducted yourself on this board.

What I give a crap about is honesty. And if you can't be that here or you can't be that with me, I will never take seriously anything that comes out of your keyboard/pad. Why? Because it's a damned waste of my time and heartbeats.

All that said, had you come in here and early on decided to disclose even parts of your history by relating to us here and allowing us to relate to you, I and others would have met you with a sense of compassion and understanding. But you didn't do that. You came in here crapping up the place because that's how you get your rocks off. Good for you, buddy. And now you lay your crap on us to try to wiggle out of the hole you've dug for yourself and why? Because you discovered this place is worth something.

Yes, this place is worth something. That's why you've seen myself and others identify your trolling. That's why you've seen myself and others push for a restored mod team. Because it's worth something and so are WE worth something to the reader/lurker and to each other.

This board doesn't make itself. WE are the board. WE make the board. And when you and your ilk blow in here and try to crap up the place, claiming you are here to fix us, you're going to get push back in spades and in various forms, because this place is worth something to the people who read and post here.

Keep that in mind going forward and don't ever try to manipulate me like that again. I'm a whole lot of things, a pushover isn't one of them.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Lem wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 pm
Being intellectually honest doesn't require being an intellectual.
He'd probably be less confused if Jersey Girl went with "unintellectually honest."

I have to admit, I'm amused by the idea that someone believes you don't have to be honest with yourself if you aren't an intellectual.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.