Why do you care if I edit/delete posts?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Cultellus

Why do you care if I edit/delete posts?

Post by Cultellus »

This will be the 2,078th post I make on this board. The seventh most of anyone in this re-booted edition of the board. As of right now, my intention is to continue to edit all my posts with a symbolic phrase. Maybe there will be 2,700 more, maybe there will be 1 more. My posts are almost exclusively in Non-Mormon Discussions (Paradise and Prison). I have a few posts in Celestial and a few in the other forums. Most of my posts have been consolidated by the moderators.

Can you explain why you care if I edit/delete posts without making it a point about who I am or why I do it? If you can't, and you need to imagine that you understand why I do it, great. But I am really interested in why anyone would give even one goddamn if my posts are moved, edited or deleted. Who cares and why?

Remember, the rules and settings on this board allow me to edit my posts. I am not allowed to move them to other threads. I am not allowed to modify anyone's posts when they capture my posts. I can only modify my own. So, why do you care? What is it that you care about?

I am not going to argue with your reasons. Maybe, you can even convince me to not do it. Hell, I don't know.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Why do you care if I edit/delete posts?

Post by Jersey Girl »

1. It's intellectually dishonest.
2. It causes work for the moderators.
3. It's bad form.
4. It makes you look like a freaking coward who isn't willing to be responsible for the words that he himself posts here.
5. It makes you a waste of our time.

If you were to edit out a post here or there, that's not a problem. Over 1K posts? That falls into the category of all of the above because you are sanitizing your history here.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:23 am
1. It's intellectually dishonest.
2. It causes work for the moderators.
3. It's bad form.
4. It makes you look like a freaking coward who isn't willing to be responsible for the words that he himself posts here.
5. It makes you a waste of our time.

If you were to edit out a post here or there, that's not a problem. Over 1K posts? That falls into the category of all of the above because you are sanitizing your history here.
Thank you.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

When you are in an in real life conversation do you make a statement to the other poster then say "I take it back"? Do you do it repeatedly throughout the conversation and throughout every conversation you have with that same person?

And if you did...do you think the other person would engage in conversation with you?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:33 am
When you are in an in real life conversation do you make a statement to the other poster then say "I take it back"? Do you do it repeatedly throughout the conversation and throughout every conversation you have with that same person?

And if you did...do you think the other person would engage in conversation with you?
I am not sure what is going on with these questions. The answers, as it relates to in real life, are 1: no, 2: no, 3: N/A.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Jersey outlined a lot of great points. Another though is that it is highly disruptive to readers who may come to the board at a later date. I've mentioned I lurked here long before posting. Part of that lurking included reading lots of old posts. Some of that old information was vital in my transition out of the church and also made jumping in here easier. I felt I had a better feel for the place my voice could reside with that knowledge. There are few things worse than a really good thread being disrupted by deleted or edited context. Rosebud memes aside, this is an archive of sorts and a long running forum of very intriguing discussion.

In my opinion, part of our participation here should be an agreement to try to preserve and promote the legacy of the board. That is difficult to achieve if some posters effectively erase huge swaths of content.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Xenophon wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:54 am
Jersey outlined a lot of great points. Another though is that it is highly disruptive to readers who may come to the board at a later date. I've mentioned I lurked here long before posting. Part of that lurking included reading lots of old posts. Some of that old information was vital in my transition out of the church and also made jumping in here easier. I felt I had a better feel for the place my voice could reside with that knowledge. There are few things worse than a really good thread being disrupted by deleted or edited context. Rosebud memes aside, this is an archive of sorts and a long running forum of very intriguing discussion.

In my opinion, part of our participation here should be an agreement to try to preserve and promote the legacy of the board. That is difficult to achieve if some posters effectively erase huge swaths of content.
Thanks Xeno.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:42 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:33 am

I am not sure what is going on with these questions. The answers, as it relates to in real life, are 1: no, 2: no, 3: N/A.
It's an analogy. Sheesh.

Again. Read, think, read, think, wash, rinse, repeat.

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:11 am
Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:42 am

It's an analogy. Sheesh.

Again. Read, think, read, think, wash, rinse, repeat.
The OP and topic are about why it bothers you. You seem focused on my shortcomings, which are obviously infinite.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

It is frustrating for all the given reasons. It also destroys the context to all the other replies to you that remain in the thread. Like Xenophon said, it's incredibly disruptive to all those who come to a thread after-the-fact, like me, and never got a chance to read your original posts and therefore don't know what's going on.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024