Why do you care if I edit/delete posts?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Cultellus

Re: Why do you care if I edit/delete posts?

Post by Cultellus »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:30 am
It is frustrating for all the given reasons. It also destroys the context to all the other replies to you that remain in the thread. Like Xenophon said, it's incredibly disruptive to all those who come to a thread after-the-fact, like me, and never got a chance to read your original posts and therefore don't know what's going on.
Thank you. I appreciate the personal feedback. Thanks.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:17 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:11 am

It's an analogy. Sheesh.

Again. Read, think, read, think, wash, rinse, repeat.
The OP and topic are about why it bothers you. You seem focused on my shortcomings, which are obviously infinite.
Your low self esteem leads you to believe that I am focused on your shortcomings.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:40 am
Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:17 am

The OP and topic are about why it bothers you. You seem focused on my shortcomings, which are obviously infinite.
Your low self esteem leads you to believe that I am focused on your shortcomings.
No. My comment was based on your responses in this thread. You do not know anything about my esteem.

Xeno and Shades have explained their “why”. You seem focused on my shortcomings, including my self esteem.

I am listening for reasons not to delete posts. Your view of my self esteem is not a factor.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:50 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:40 am

No. My comment was based on your responses in this thread. You do not know anything about my esteem.

Xeno and Shades have explained their “why”. You seem focused on my shortcomings, including my self esteem.

I am listening for reasons not to delete posts. Your view of my self esteem is not a factor.
I already offered you a list of reasons.
I offered you an analogy.

Would you want to have a conversation with someone who constantly takes back their words? Nope. Neither do we.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

We talked a little bit about how mutual vulnerability within a dialogue is crucial for real conversation and change to occur on another thread. One of the issues I see with you erasing posts is it shifts the burden of openness and transparency towards one poster only. You can go back and search every single post I've made on this board and I'm delighted you can do the same for our previous posts now too (pending further indexing). That is as an open a book as one can be on the internet, sans giving you my SSN. You mentioned "avatars, masks, and fake names" but that is only accurate to an extent. If I am faking at being who I present here I think I'm doing a damn fine job to keep the facade up as long as I have. Part of having a posters history is that it allows them to be anonymous without also being unknown. When you erase your previous exchanges it leaves you formless, and that is a hard thing to engage earnestly.

I've seen you mention that folks have your motivations wrong, but that is kind of the point. Your current mode of operation leaves us with effectively two options, guess at some hidden motivations or accept the highly likely scenario that your time here is a flash in the pan meant to disrupt. You talk about gaslighting but had the threads stayed intact we could easily go back to the record and verify.

It is a double edged sword however. Sometimes people are going to dig up your old stuff and throw it in your face, sometimes even rightly so. But for me, if posting here is a worthwhile activity, then it is worth documenting and preserving.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Amen, Xenophon! Once again you have revealed yourself to be one of the most profound and deservedly respected posters here. To Cultellus' credit, even he seems to recognize that fact.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:50 am
Xeno and Shades have explained their “why”........
From my view, they both offered sound reasons for you to consider. I think it's likely that you are considering them.
I am listening for reasons not to delete posts....
When you entered this community, you didn't knock at the front door and present flowers or chocolate - Rather, you drove through the walls riding a bulldozer and you came with a clear and direct message to and for all of us here (challenges/criticism of this community) - You came with intent and you came under the bright lights of complete transparency. I understand that many think it was an inappropriate way to enter but, for whatever reason, it was the way you chose to enter. I believe you chose to make your entrance this way by design and with a purpose.

So, did your chosen method have any effect? While I can only answer that question for me, I can tell you that it got my full attention. I found your challenges and criticism to be sound and worthy of deep consideration. In addition, I was forced to evaluate my participation on the board as well as think about what motives I had/have to continue participating on the board.

Having said that, you ask for reasons not to delete/edit your posts: In short, it's very risky! A risk with no upside. None! A risk that can potentially weaken, distract from, and/or take away from the challenges/criticisms that you brought. A risk that can move eyeballs away from your message and direct these eyeballs in a completely different direction (This has already happened - Eyeballs are now focusing on other things)

You motivation for deleting/editing (no matter your motivations were/are) has no impact on the risk - The risk is there, intentional or not.

Consider what we are discussing now, and perhaps much more importantly, consider what we aren't discussing now.

Anyway, just my take.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Thank you Ceeboo.

I actually asked why you care. I did not ask why I should not do it.

However, all your reasons seem to answer or address both questions, whether asked or implied. Thanks man.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:41 am
Thank you Ceeboo.
You're welcome.
I actually asked why you care. I did not ask why I should not do it.
Oh! My bad.

My care is totally irrelevant (as are the cares of others) - The freedom and ability that each of us have to control our own account/posting (including deleting/editing/history/etc) is rightfully ours and it need not be explained or justified to anyone else. Each of us make our own decisions and that is exactly how it ought to be. Individual freedom to make decisions about who we engage - how we engage - when we engage - when we do not engage - are all fair game in my opinion.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:15 pm
Progressive cult member says "racism is in the air we breath, it's in the water we drink" . Perfect example of how a "movement" is used to take dismantle a country.
https://youtu.be/a1-VBgENZ7c
WTF?

Huh?