The Party Who Cried, "Wolf!"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

The Party Who Cried, "Wolf!"

Post by Some Schmo »

I suppose this is a side topic to both my "I Don't Believe You" and Gad's "Regular People of Fox News" threads.

Not only has it gotten to the point where I am automatically skeptical of anything certain posters say, it's gotten to the point where I don't believe anything a GOP politician or right wing media outlet says. They have lied with such regularity, it's safer to assume in any situation they are lying again. They have so damaged their reputation over the last couple decades that it appears to me they care only about power at all costs, primarily the cost of their reputation.

I guess that's why there's such a concerted GOP effort to cheat in the elections. They have crapped all over the character of the party for so long, enough people have left the party in disgust that they have to cheat to level the playing field.

I thought about it this morning when I heard a political commercial on TV about how "Biden's new plan will destroy farmers." Destroy farmers? Exaggerate much?

The relationship between the GOP/right wing media and BS is so tight, I can no longer decouple them. They have conditioned me to call BS every time one of their reps opens their mouth. They have violated every party principle about which they pretended to care. They aren't fiscally responsible. They don't care about small government (unless "smaller" means less Democrats in office). It's rare to find a GOP pol that actually lives by the ideal of personal responsibility. They only care about freedom when it comes to guns, but couldn't care less when it comes to what a woman does with her body. They aren't even pro-life. They're pro-control, pro-authoritarianism.

I'm not sure how the party recovers from that (I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way). It's going to take a lot of Romney/Liz Cheney types taking over the party and calling out the party's problems before I even begin to consider what the party has to say.
Last edited by Some Schmo on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: The Party Who Cried, "Wolf!"

Post by Atlanticmike »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:04 pm
I suppose this is a side topic to both my "I Don't Believe You" and Gad's "Regular People of Fox News" threads.

Not only has it gotten to the point where I am automatically skeptical of anything certain posters say, it's gotten to the point where I don't believe anything a GOP politician or right wing media outlet says. They have lied with such regularity, it's safer to assume in any situation they are lying again. They have so damaged their reputation over the last couple decades that it appears to me they care only about power at all costs, primarily the cost of their reputation.

I guess that's why there's such a concerted GOP effort to cheat in the elections. They have crapped all over the character of the party for so long, enough people have left the party in disgust that they have to cheat to level the playing field.

I thought about it this morning when I heard a political commercial on TV about how "Biden's new plan will destroy farmers." Destroy farmers? Exaggerate much?

The relationship between the GOP/right wing media and B.S. is so tight, I can no longer decouple them. They have conditioned me to call B.S. every time one of their reps opens their mouth. They have violated every party principle about which they pretended to care. They aren't fiscally responsible. They don't care about small government (unless "smaller" means less Democrats in office). It's rare to find a GOP pol is actually lives by the ideal of personal responsibility. They only care about freedom when it comes to guns, but couldn't care less when it comes to what a woman does with her body. They aren't even pro-life. They're pro-control, pro-authoritarianism.

I'm not sure how the party recovers from that (I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way). It's going to take a lot of Romney/Liz Cheney types taking over the party and calling out the party's problems before I even begin to consider what the party has to say.
Congratulations!! By reading your post I can tell you have been fully indoctrinated and should consider yourself "baptized" into the PROGRESSIVE cult of group think. I'm not goin to lie, you'll feel really comfortable in the cult of PROGRESSIVISM as long as you keep gulping everything they feed you. As long as you keep listening to the Prophets of your cult, you'll die a happy cult member knowing you did everything you could to convert as many people to your beliefs as possible. It's a wonderful box to put yourself in, especially now that you've gone full on cult member and you've admitted you have reached up, pulled the flaps of the box closed, and now you're sitting in the corner of your darkened box feeling all warm and fuzzy because no unwanted information can get into your safe space. You sir have reached the state of PROGRESSIVE NIRVANA!!! Congratulations!!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:52 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:04 pm

The relationship between the GOP/right wing media and B.S. is so tight, I can no longer decouple them. They have conditioned me to call B.S. every time one of their reps opens their mouth. They have violated every party principle about which they pretended to care. They aren't fiscally responsible. They don't care about small government (unless "smaller" means less Democrats in office). It's rare to find a GOP pol is actually lives by the ideal of personal responsibility. They only care about freedom when it comes to guns, but couldn't care less when it comes to what a woman does with her body. They aren't even pro-life. They're pro-control, pro-authoritarianism.

Congratulations!! By reading your post I can tell you have been fully indoctrinated and should consider yourself "baptized" into the PROGRESSIVE cult of group think. I'm not goin to lie, you'll feel really comfortable in the cult of PROGRESSIVISM as long as you keep gulping everything they feed you. As long as you keep listening to the Prophets of your cult, you'll die a happy cult member knowing you did everything you could to convert as many people to your beliefs as possible. It's a wonderful box to put yourself in, especially now that you've gone full on cult member and you've admitted you have reached up, pulled the flaps of the box closed, and now you're sitting in the corner of your darkened box feeling all warm and fuzzy because no unwanted information can get into your safe space. You sir have reached the state of PROGRESSIVE NIRVANA!!! Congratulations!!
I am not sure how being in a box like that can help Schmo hate regular people more. I mean, there are hundreds of millions of people in the USA and like, 2 percent of them watch FOX news a lot. That's like, way more than the 1% that watch CNN. I guess I just answered my question, right? Schmo can just find a single idiot in a comments section, or ten, and multiply that by about 150 million in his head, and then he will know everything about everybody pretty much. Since more people watch Fox than CNN, makes sense to just pick one of those and multiply by a hundred billion or so.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:05 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:52 pm

I am not sure how being in a box like that can help Schmo hate regular people more. I mean, there are hundreds of millions of people in the USA and like, 2 percent of them watch FOX news a lot. That's like, way more than the 1% that watch CNN. I guess I just answered my question, right? Schmo can just find a single idiot in a comments section, or ten, and multiply that by about 150 million in his head, and then he will know everything about everybody pretty much. Since more people watch Fox than CNN, makes sense to just pick one of those and multiply by a hundred billion or so.
Cultellus! You need to learn how to be nice. Give poor ol Schmo a break!! He's sitting in the darkest corner of the box he's decided to put himself in and he can't see very well in the dark. I think there's a really good chance he's sitting there, probably all nice and comfortable, all wrapped up in a safety blanket, listening to all the commotion outside the walls of his box and so so so glad he's inside protecting all his PROGRESSIVE thoughts and ideas from conservative criticism. He's in his safe space cultellus!! Please for the love of God, cultellus, join us in the 21st century where criticism of the Progressive cult isn't tolerated on any level and anyone who tries to criticize their religion is sent to outer darkness to never be heard from again on social media. Don't worry! They have it all planned out and they know what's best for all of us. They're really smart, go ahead, ask them, they'll have no problem telling you how smart they are, I promise!
Last edited by Atlanticmike on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

… multiply by a hundred billion or so.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Schmo wrote:They have lied with such regularity, it's safer to assume in any situation they are lying again. They have so damaged their reputation over the last couple decades that it appears to me they care only about power at all costs, primarily the cost of their reputation.
Great point, Schmo. I have brought up the story of "the boy who cried wolf" many times to my right-wing friend. While it's been a few months since he's begged to forward me a right-wing chain-letter, back when he was champing at the bit, I'd bring that up. Why, after every point of the last one was refuted and you didn't contest the refutation, do you still try? Why would I give it the least benefit of the doubt? Why do YOU even believe it?

To the last question: today's right-winger believes the obvious lies of their fellows in spirit even if not literally. Even if it's not true, by darn, it should be true.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

One more really important point: A political party or group that believes lies has an advantage over a party or group that believes truth.

The reason is that by agreeing to an obvious lie, one's political allegiance is without question.

In the business world there is a similarity. "Meme" stocks and "ghost companies" get the real world out of the way for investors. If everyone is in on the lie, then we don't have to worry about earnings; just getting more people in on the trade.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:53 pm
To the last question: today's right-winger believes the obvious lies of their fellows in spirit even if not literally. Even if it's not true, by darn, it should be true.
I hadn't thought of that. What a great observation.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:08 pm

In the business world there is a similarity. "Meme" stocks and "ghost companies" get the real world out of the way for investors. If everyone is in on the lie, then we don't have to worry about earnings; just getting more people in on the trade.
Oh, my, damned, God.

I believe we have a winner.