Trump to start American Pravda

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Trump to start American Pravda

Post by MeDotOrg »

Banished from major social media platforms, former President Donald Trump has announced plans to form a public company that will launch a long-anticipated social platform of his own, claiming to create a space to "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech."

The press release announcing the platform, TRUTH Social, has a familiar Trumpian confidence, but the sustainability and many details of the venture are unclear.

Just like to point out that Pravda means truth in English, so Donald is in great appropriate company. Pravda was the official paper of the Communist Party.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Re: Trump to start American Pravda

Post by Alf'Omega »

Parler says hello.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Long overdue. Facebook and Twitter are about to lose some revenue.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 pm
... Donald Trump has announced plans to form a public company ...
I feel like this is a setup for a punchline to a bankruptcy joke.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Truth Social... just like "Honest Frank's Used Car Lot" (except I bet Honest Frank, lying “F” that he is, is still more honest than Trump).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

It was already ‘hacked’. :lol:
Ok, not quite a hack. Pranksters found an unreleased test version of what appeared to be Trump's social network site, made a fake account in Trump's name, and then used it to post the meme image "Pig Poop Balls." Just bringing you the important news, folks
eta: Primer on “pig poop balls” for the uninitiated:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pig-poop-balls

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Sounds about right.
Trump's new media company will be funded with the help of Digital World Acquisitions, a blank check company based in Miami, according to the press release issued on Wednesday night. DWAG, a so-called special purpose acquisition company, will help TMTG become a publicly traded company, according to the press release.

The CEO of that company, Patrick Orlando, is also CEO of Yunhong International, which itself is an international blank check company incorporated in the Cayman Islands with headquarters in Wuhan, China.
https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/4aw ... ady-a-mess
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I doubt it's going to work. and when it fails, people are going to laugh.

it will be trolled and hacked like no other.

organized chaos doesn't work. chaos has to emerge in its own way. It has to emerge in a real backroom, not a big dressy production labeled by a promoter as a backroom.

and it won't be free speech. like trump is going to allow himself to be criticized. trolls "from the left" aren't the only problem. Extremists too far right won't be tolerated because it will make him look bad.

I'll grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy watch it happen. Maybe I'll create an account.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:21 am
… and it won't be free speech. like trump is going to allow himself to be criticized.

From the Terms of Service:
“We may terminate your use or participation in the site or delete your account and any content or information that you posted at any time, without warning, in our sole discretion,”
… and from the folks who whine that Twitter is a dystopian hellhole of unjust and arbitrary censorship.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

In other words, they give themselves license to post or support, at their sole discretion, any lie, no matter how egregious, that serves their agenda, and suppress and censor any truth, no matter how incontrovertible, that inconveniences them in any way.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.