Apple Butter

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
drumdude
God

Apple Butter

Post by drumdude »

It's fall in this ex-Mormon's household! And it smells like it from a fresh batch of apple butter. First time making it and it came out perfect. I don't think there's very many other foods you can make with this deliciousness to effort ratio. The biggest effort is chopping up the apples into chunks. If you're going to strain it at the end you don't even need to core them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pju0OACe0FI

I desire all to receive this. Only good feelings should exist in this thread. Happy fall everyone!
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Apple Butter

Post by Res Ipsa »

Yum! What a great idea!!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:44 am
It's fall in this ex-Mormon's household! And it smells like it from a fresh batch of apple butter. First time making it and it came out perfect. I don't think there's very many other foods you can make with this deliciousness to effort ratio. The biggest effort is chopping up the apples into chunks. If you're going to strain it at the end you don't even need to core them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pju0OACe0FI

I desire all to receive this. Only good feelings should exist in this thread. Happy fall everyone!
So my mom was a hillbilly and lived off of canned apple butter most of her childhood. She still cans apple butter to this day. When I was growing up, I would take toast and apple butter to school and during lunch I would bite a hole in the corner of a plastic sandwich bag and squeeze the apple butter out on to the toast. My friends loved!! I would trade them for all kinds of goodies. I've never really thought about it, but is apple butter a Mormon thang? Because none of the other kids I hung around had ever heard about it. I don't think I've actually ever bought apple butter in the grocery store.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:37 am
So my mom was a hillbilly and lived off of canned apple butter most of her childhood. She still cans apple butter to this day. When I was growing up, I would take toast and apple butter to school and during lunch I would bite a hole in the corner of a plastic sandwich bag and squeeze the apple butter out on to the toast. My friends loved!! I would trade them for all kinds of goodies. I've never really thought about it, but is apple butter a Mormon thang? Because none of the other kids I hung around had ever heard about it. I don't think I've actually ever bought apple butter in the grocery store.

I’m wondering if the popularity of apple butter is more tied to being a regional tradition. From everyone’s favorite reference, Wiki:

”In areas of the American South, the production of apple butter is a family event, due to the large amount of labor necessary to produce apple butter in large quantities. Traditionally, apple butter was prepared in large copper kettles outside. Large paddles were used to stir the apples, and family members would take turns stirring. In Appalachia, apple butter was the only type of fruit preserve normally rendered into fruit leather.”

We always had a jar in the pantry when I was growing up during our East Coast days. ‘Apple butter with peanut butter’ sandwiches were a thing in our house. And, like you mention, it’s great on toast.