Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
SirPoopsaLot
Sunbeam

Re: Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

Post by SirPoopsaLot »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:36 pm
Tinfoilhat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:27 pm
Great post. I think the poster Atlanticmike also gets under Alf Omega's skin. Isn't AM the reason Icarus started posting as Alf Omega?
The irony. You're literally using a sock puppet to whine, incorrectly, as to why I changed mine.

As I explained to Res Ipsa some time ago, I didn't remember my password for Icarus. I had automatic login set up on the laptop so it was saved on my browser until my wife deleted all the cookies. The email address I used to open Icarus was an email with a brokerage I no longer work with, so I had no way of retrieving my password to sign in as Icarus. Hence, Alf' who was my favorite poster of all time on the ZLMB board back in 2000-2005. I hadn't seen him since then as he rarely ever posted, and I didn't realize there were so many folks who remembered him twenty years later otherwise I would have chosen something else.

You and your 47 sock puppets don't get under my skin, I just wish you'd go away so the forum could get back to doing what it was supposed to be designed for. Actual discussions.

But you stated from the outset that your purpose for being here was to be a bull in a china shop. You see this as some kind of Liberal haven, which it isn't, and so you're here to bombard us with LARGE CAPPED THREADS loaded with youtube videos with absolutely zero intention of carrying on a serious conversations about issues that matter. In a sane world, the owner of the board would step up and show some balls by putting his foot down and say "this behavior defeats the purpose of my board and I'm not going to tolerate it." But that's not here.

So congratulations. That's some life you must lead. You, your 47 sock puppets, and CULT, the idiot who is do dedicated to is craft that he waded through hundreds of his own posts just to edit them out. Because, you know, that's what people do when they're being satirical.
Tinfoilhat has 47 sock puppets?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Alf wrote:Give me a F'ing break. People here including you have actually been trying to ARGUE with someone you're now claiming is just trying to be funny!
Is that what they are saying? If so, then I disagree with them. He's only trying to be funny with his fellow right-wingers in that he's taking a tragedy involving a liberal who is a public figure, and specifically one who made fun of the guy who he probably thinks is still the president. Of course he doesn't believe what he's saying, any more than he believes Doc Cam is a racist. He knows he's trolling. That doesn't mean he isn't serious. He hates Doc Cam and 'progressives' generally. And if lying is the only way to do it lacking a real argument then that's the way it's going to be.

Unfortunately, it's a reality that trolls tend to start the most popular threads. Go way back to ZLMB, and Jskains and Leeuniverse were the main thread starters. For some reason, an unhinged person talking nonsense will always get the biggest response.

Also, It doesn't mean that trolls don't have real skin in the game when they lie. Of course they'll say they're just laughing while everyone else is taking it seriously, but in reality, they get very hurt over their lie being rejected. In fact, they are more sensitive over their lies being rejected then when telling the truth. I think we all know of a really obvious example of this phenomena pervasive in our country today.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:50 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 pm
The difference is, Cultellus doesn’t get under my skin. At all. When I argue with him, it’s because I want to make a point and Cam is correct — I generally use him as a foil.
Your well reasoned and elaborate responses to Cult demonstrated that you didn't think he was just trolling. After reading through several pages of him doubling down on his stupid "it wasn't an accident" argument, I responded with a mere quip, calling him a moron. It could have ended there. But apparently my quip got under your skins! Someone even edited out my post which is an all-time first for Spirit Paradise.

Doc jumps in and implies I'm too dense to understand Cult doesn't believe his own BS. He said that he was just being "funny" by trying to adopt "leftist rhetoric." And when I disagree, it cannot be because we can agree to disagree. No. In Doc's mind, unless I agree with him on all points, I must have something "wrong" with me. That's just one of those unflattering character traits he has.

I called Cult a moron and left it at that because unlike some here, I don't waste a lot of time on stupidity. But then you guys turned this into another one of your psychoanalytical BS points about how well grounded you are compared to others here. Give me a damned break. People here including you have actually been trying to ARGUE with someone you're now claiming is just trying to be funny! But at the same time you want to say it is me who is taking him too serious. You can't have it both ways. (Oh wait, now you can. Just say you're using him as FOIL!)

All you're doing is enabling this moron to continue with his idiotic posting habits because now you've indicated to him it is appreciated as legit humor. Well, I see no humor in any of this and if you do, then something is wrong with you. Personally I think it is disgusting that anyone is gleefully attacking a man who is clearly remorseful and going through mental anguish over a tragic accident. I personally can't even imagine what one must go through knowing he or she took a life. There are people who who kill intentionally and still it changes them inside for life.

Cult's argument that no one aims a gun and fires it on a movie set is nothing short of dumb. Anyone who has seen virtually any movie knows this is not true. The John Wick series alone fired something like 1,500 rounds aimed directly at people, mostly at short range. Keanu Reeves had to go through intensive firearm training so these were real guns being used. Anyone who has watched classics like Deer Hunter knows that the Christopher Walken scene wasn't CGI.

The only reason this is a thread is because Baldwin is despised by Trumpers. That's it. If this were an NRA supporting Gun instructor who got killed by a 9 year old girl because he gave her an Uzi, it wouldn't even register on his radar as something worth mentioning.
This is a perfect description of what you do. You’ve created a straw man, you’re raging, and you’re still being trolled hard because you don’t actually get what the qultist is doing. I guess you actually are the flip side of the same mopologist coin, in that you have to rage-win every point, ascribe to people motivations and intent they themselves never posted, and create some weird plausibility for some behavior you display. You do you, but that doesn’t change the fact that you’re getting trolled and you’re posting on a thread topically which undermines your page 6 complaint.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 pm
Alf wrote:Give me a F'ing break. People here including you have actually been trying to ARGUE with someone you're now claiming is just trying to be funny!
Is that what they are saying? If so, then I disagree with them. He's only trying to be funny with his fellow right-wingers in that he's taking a tragedy involving a liberal who is a public figure, and specifically one who made fun of the guy who he probably thinks is still the president. Of course he doesn't believe what he's saying, any more than he believes Doc Cam is a racist. He knows he's trolling. That doesn't mean he isn't serious. He hates Doc Cam and 'progressives' generally. And if lying is the only way to do it lacking a real argument then that's the way it's going to be.

Unfortunately, it's a reality that trolls tend to start the most popular threads. Go way back to ZLMB, and Jskains and Leeuniverse were the main thread starters. For some reason, an unhinged person talking nonsense will always get the biggest response.

Also, It doesn't mean that trolls don't have real skin in the game when they lie. Of course they'll say they're just laughing while everyone else is taking it seriously, but in reality, they get very hurt over their lie being rejected. In fact, they are more sensitive over their lies being rejected then when telling the truth. I think we all know of a really obvious example of this phenomena pervasive in our country today.
I said Res Ipsa has a developed sense of humor so he uses the troll as a foil. Alf Omega turned that into me thinking the qultist is funny. A parody literally doesn’t have to be funny; it can just exist as a parody.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:49 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:18 am
FYI: The NY Post is a tabloid publication.
Maybe Cultellus can get some quotes from Steve Bannon and the Kremlin.
Do you have a point?
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Gadianton wrote:

If I were to come on this forum, in Paradise, and call a specific poster a lying piece of damned crap, that would be against the rules. I cannot say that a specific poster is a conspiracy believing dumbdamn. The rules prevent me from calling a specific poster a moron, simply because I disagree with something I think they think, or with something I think they do. I should not make bigoted assumptions about another poster, and declare them as fact, so I do not.

And, let's be clear here. If Alec Baldwin had handled that firearm safely, and not killed anyone, we would not be talking about this on this thread. All this other stuff that is going on, is a sideshow and distraction. Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone.

edited for language - Xen
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:55 pm
Gadianton wrote:

If I were to come on this forum, in Paradise, and call a specific poster a lying piece of damned crap, that would be against the rules. I cannot say that a specific poster is a conspiracy believing idiot. The rules prevent me from calling a specific poster a moron, simply because I disagree with something I think they think, or with something I think they do. I should not make bigoted assumptions about another poster, and declare them as fact, so I do not.

And, let's be clear here. If Alec Baldwin had handled that firearm safely, and not killed anyone, we would not be talking about this on this thread. All this other stuff that is going on, is a sideshow and distraction. Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone.
bold mine.

I think you're wrong. It obviously is part of the larger conversation. If it were just a 'sideshow and distraction,' the original post would not have been this:
In the opening post, Cultellus wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 pm
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... New Testament-a-moral

So. Maybe he should have been a bit less self-righteous and learned a bit more about guns and CGI.

Will he still be Trump on SNL?

Real guns with “fake” bullets are still real guns. This is tragic. More nonsense in a conversation that needs common sense.
You inserted politics and credibility into the conversation from the start.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Cultellus wrote:And, let's be clear here. If Alec Baldwin had handled that firearm safely, and not killed anyone, we would not be talking about this on this thread. All this other stuff that is going on, is a sideshow and distraction. Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone.
That's progress, since you didn't insist it wasn't an accident.

Suppose the gun hadn't been loaded but that he'd operated the gun exactly as he had, nobody was hurt and filming continued. In that scenario, would it be correct to say he was trying to kill somebody?
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:48 pm
Cultellus wrote:And, let's be clear here. If Alec Baldwin had handled that firearm safely, and not killed anyone, we would not be talking about this on this thread. All this other stuff that is going on, is a sideshow and distraction. Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone.
That's progress, since you didn't insist it wasn't an accident.

Suppose the gun hadn't been loaded but that he'd operated the gun exactly as he had, nobody was hurt and filming continued. In that scenario, would it be correct to say he was trying to kill somebody?
Let's say an A hole husband wants to scare the crap out of his wife because she threatened to leave him. So the husband buys some 9mm blanks and loads them in his handgun. One day he decides to point the gun he loaded with blanks at his wife and he says, THE DAY YOU LEAVE, THIS GUN WON'T BE LOADED WITH BLANKS!! Then he points the gun loaded with blanks at his wife and shoots. After shooting one round at his wife, he realizes the blank round shot out debris that rnded up penetrating the wife's skull and she died on the way to the hospital. When questioned by the police he says he was only trying to scare his wife. They don't believe him and charge him with first degree murder. What do you think? Did the husband murder his wife?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:40 pm
Let's say an A hole husband wants to scare the crap out of his wife because she threatened to leave him. So the husband buys some 9mm blanks and loads them in his handgun. One day he decides to point the gun he loaded with blanks at his wife and he says, THE DAY YOU LEAVE, THIS GUN WON'T BE LOADED WITH BLANKS!! Then he points the gun loaded with blanks at his wife and shoots. After shooting one round at his wife, he realizes the blank round shot out debris that rnded up penetrating the wife's skull and she died on the way to the hospital. When questioned by the police he says he was only trying to scare his wife. They don't believe him and charge him with first degree murder. What do you think? Did the husband murder his wife?

With the threat made, the husband has not left himself much room within the manslaughter category, and opens himself up to the charge of murder. The difference between the two is rooted in the mindset of the shooter. And Baldwin’s situation is fundamentally different from your scenario, anyway. This isn’t a domestic dispute where Baldwin was attempting to threaten someone.

If you’d like a better example of a similar situation, look to the shooting death of Brandon Lee. The shooter, Michael Masse, had no criminal charges filed against him because the District Attorney determined that while negligence was a factor, there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing.