Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Cultellus

Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

Post by Cultellus »

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... New Testament-a-moral

So. Maybe he should have been a bit less self-righteous and learned a bit more about guns and CGI.

Will he still be Trump on SNL?

Real guns with “fake” bullets are still real guns. This is tragic. More nonsense in a conversation that needs common sense.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Re: Uh, This guy just shot and killed someone

Post by MeDotOrg »

Maybe he could play Dick Cheney?

Sadly there have been several accidental deaths with prop guns. The fact that Baldwin plays a character with a gun does not make him a hypocrite, any more than playing a child molester makes you a hypocrite if you are against child abuse.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

He is not a hypocrite because he plays a guy with a gun. He is a self-righteous POS because he shot and killed someone.

You wouldn’t be a hypocrite if you played the role of a molester. If you raped a child, you would be both a hypocrite and a criminal.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:39 pm
Maybe he could play Dick Cheney?

Sadly there have been several accidental deaths with prop guns. The fact that Baldwin plays a character with a gun does not make him a hypocrite, any more than playing a child molester makes you a hypocrite if you are against child abuse.
By the way. “F” that.

He pointed a real gun at someone and pulled the trigger, it was NOT AN ACCIDENT. There is a tragic consequence, but no accidents.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Cultellus wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 pm
He is not a hypocrite because he plays a guy with a gun. He is a self-righteous POS because he shot and killed someone.

You wouldn’t be a hypocrite if you played the role of a molester. If you raped a child, you would be both a hypocrite and a criminal.
You're comparing Baldwin's actions to raping a child? Baldwin was overcome with grief. You don't accidentally rape a child and then cry with grief.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hmmm, must be Humpty Dumpty Day at Discuss Mormonism.

The events described are an "accident," as used in every day usage and legal usage. Most accidents involve intentional conduct that involves some unintended or unexpected event that results in unintended harm. As far as I can tell, the details of what happened are still under investigation. But unless he intended to shoot the victims or knew there was a live round in the weapon, the harm he caused was accidental. He may have been careless, or stupid, or negligent -- which is how lots of accidents happen -- but that doesn't mean that what happened wasn't an accident.

Hypocrisy is one of those words that have an actual meaning but get deployed as if it means "person I don't like did something." Unless Baldwin was out telling the movie industry that it is never safe to use a gun as a prop, there's no hypocrisy here. There is nothing inconsistent about speaking out against the NRA's advocacy against gun laws and using a gun as a movie prop. Heck, an avid hunter can be against the NRA. And if he accidentally shoots someone while hunting, that doesn't make him a hypocrite.

Comparing this to child rape is ludicrous.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

How does playing Trump on SNL make this guy a hypocrite if he accidentally shoots someone?

How did Trump become part of the argument? Lol.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 pm
Cultellus wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 pm

You're comparing Baldwin's actions to raping a child? Baldwin was overcome with grief. You don't accidentally rape a child and then cry with grief.
You’re joking, right?

You mentioned hypocrisy and child molesting. I was responding to your comment.

The death was a result of him pointing a real gun at someone and pulling the trigger. The outcome us unfortunate. The events that led up to the outcome were not accidental, they were negligent.
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:12 pm
How does playing Trump on SNL make this guy a hypocrite if he accidentally shoots someone?

How did Trump become part of the argument? Lol.
Trump did say he could shoot someone and his fans would still support him?
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:09 pm
Hmmm, must be Humpty Dumpty Day at Discuss Mormonism.

The events described are an "accident," as used in every day usage and legal usage. Most accidents involve intentional conduct that involves some unintended or unexpected event that results in unintended harm. As far as I can tell, the details of what happened are still under investigation. But unless he intended to shoot the victims or knew there was a live round in the weapon, the harm he caused was accidental. He may have been careless, or stupid, or negligent -- which is how lots of accidents happen -- but that doesn't mean that what happened wasn't an accident.

Hypocrisy is one of those words that have an actual meaning but get deployed as if it means "person I don't like did something." Unless Baldwin was out telling the movie industry that it is never safe to use a gun as a prop, there's no hypocrisy here. There is nothing inconsistent about speaking out against the NRA's advocacy against gun laws and using a gun as a movie prop. Heck, an avid hunter can be against the NRA. And if he accidentally shoots someone while hunting, that doesn't make him a hypocrite.

Comparing this to child rape is ludicrous.
Was this for me? Or Medot? I was responding to his post re hypocrisy and molestation.

Of course it is ludicrous. Of course.

Calling it an accident, when he pointed a gun at someone and pulled the trigger, is also ludicrous.