Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Uh, This guy just shot and killed someone

Post by Res Ipsa »

Your claim that it was not an accident is ludicrous. The unintended and unexpected presence of a live round in a prop that was supposed to have been checked makes the event an accident. Has he intended to injure the victims, it would have been intentional rather than accidental. Has he known the gun was loaded, it would have been intentional rather than accidental. We have no evidence of either.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 pm
Your claim that it was not an accident is ludicrous. The unintended and unexpected presence of a live round in a prop that was supposed to have been checked makes the event an accident. Has he intended to injure the victims, it would have been intentional rather than accidental. Has he known the gun was loaded, it would have been intentional rather than accidental. We have no evidence of either.
It’s not just if the gun was loaded with a live round, but blanks can kill, too. There are cloth bits inside the rounds that are used, I believe, to tamp down the powder. The cloth being ejected can kill someone if they’re too close and it hits a soft area of the head or throat. I can imagine a director wanting to get a close up, and because the safety officer is negligent in their duties and allows this, the ejecta could go right through an eyeball.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Having someone die was certainly not intended. But pulling the trigger was no accident.

Lots of things went wrong, but the pulling of the trigger was intentional. And it was a real gun.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Cultellus wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Having someone die was certainly not intended. But pulling the trigger was no accident.

Lots of things went wrong, but the pulling of the trigger was intentional. And it was a real gun.
Most accidents involve intentional conduct. It wasn’t just that he didn’t intend to injure — he didn’t intend to fire a bullet or other projectile. Whether or not it was a real gun isn’t relevant, as he intended to use it as a movie prop — not a weapon.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:31 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
It’s not just if the gun was loaded with a live round, but blanks can kill, too. There are cloth bits inside the rounds that are used, I believe, to tamp down the powder. The cloth being ejected can kill someone if they’re too close and it hits a soft area of the head or throat. I can imagine a director wanting to get a close up, and because the safety officer is negligent in their duties and allows this, the ejecta could go right through an eyeball.

- Doc
All true. I was reacting to something I read that described what was fired was a live round. I don’t have any idea why a live round would be anywhere near the filming, let alone in a prop.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:49 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:31 pm

- Doc
All true. I was reacting to something I read that described what was fired was a live round. I don’t have any idea why a live round would be anywhere near the filming, let alone in a prop.
I just saw on the news that it was a live round. Crazy. I wonder where the process broke down. Did the manufacturer do this? The packager? Was there a chain of custody with documentation? I guess we’ll see.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Re: Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

Post by Lem »

I thought live round meant, you know, a live round, but this quote seems to imply differently:

A source close to union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun being loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... ed-off-set
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

A little more from the latimes article:
Labor trouble had been brewing for days on the dusty set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe.

Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the low-budget film said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe. That rankled crew members who worried that they might have an accident after spending 12 to 13 hours on the set.

The cinematographer who was accidentally killed, Halyna Hutchins, had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set and was tearful when the camera crew left.

“She said, ‘I feel like I’m losing my best friends,’” recalled one of the workers.

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn’t leave voluntarily.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Lem wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:52 pm
A little more from the latimes article:
Labor trouble had been brewing for days on the dusty set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe.

Shooting began on Oct. 6 and members of the low-budget film said they had been promised the production would pay for their hotel rooms in Santa Fe.

But after filming began, the crews were told they instead would be required to make the 50-mile drive from Albuquerque each day, rather than stay overnight in nearby Santa Fe. That rankled crew members who worried that they might have an accident after spending 12 to 13 hours on the set.

The cinematographer who was accidentally killed, Halyna Hutchins, had been advocating for safer conditions for her team, said one crew member who was on the set and was tearful when the camera crew left.

“She said, ‘I feel like I’m losing my best friends,’” recalled one of the workers.

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn’t leave voluntarily.

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

Yep. Not an accident. Negligence.

Nobody points a real gun at someone and pulls the trigger accidentally.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Cultellus wrote: Yep. Not an accident. Negligence.

Nobody points a real gun at someone and pulls the trigger accidentally.
That's not what that article implied. But, you'll delete this nonsense soon, just like every other post, so there's no point in engaging, other than to note your conclusion is not supported.