Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

Post by Jersey Girl »

The care, maintenance, and preparation of weapons on the set is the responsibility of an armorer. The AD, I believe it was, handed Baldwin the weapon (from a collection of 3) and yelled "cold gun", which I assume was the appropriate protocol on this movie set. But I don't know if the procedures are written and standard throughout the industry.

I think this makes the case for eliminating the actual firing of guns on a movie set. Special effects can take care of the job quite nicely. Even so, you would still need safety protocols in place to ensure that the empty weapons are actually empty and haven't been replaced by a vindictive psycho in the chain of responsibility.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

I don't even know why this is a thread[.] [personal attack deleted — RI]

It was a tragic accident, one of many that happens literally on a daily basis.

By insisting it wasn't an accident, it must therefore be intentional murder, which is precisely why [personal attack deleted — RI] is clinging to it. He's so upset with Baldwin for mocking his cherished orange master for all these years.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:39 pm
I don't even know why this is a thread, aside from the OP being a complete moron.
I believe you answered your own question satisfactorily.
Alf'Omega wrote:
This seems obvious to me too. Any reasonable person would think so. That's why it's a dumb thread.
Alf'Omega wrote:
By insisting it wasn't an accident, it must therefore be intentional murder, which is precisely why our village idiot is clinging to it. He's so upset with Baldwin for mocking his cherished orange master for all these years.
As much as I admire the patience and effort by the smarter people in this thread, I can't help feeling that it's wasted effort. I mean, seriously... 6 pages?

That's when the idiotic troll wins.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:56 pm
The reader wins.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:02 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
The reader wins.
Questionable.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:25 pm
The care, maintenance, and preparation of weapons on the set is the responsibility of an armorer. The AD, I believe it was, handed Baldwin the weapon (from a collection of 3) and yelled "cold gun", which I assume was the appropriate protocol on this movie set. But I don't know if the procedures are written and standard throughout the industry.

I think this makes the case for eliminating the actual firing of guns on a movie set. Special effects can take care of the job quite nicely. Even so, you would still need safety protocols in place to ensure that the empty weapons are actually empty and haven't been replaced by a vindictive psycho in the chain of responsibility.
I’ve seen CGI muzzle flashes that made an otherwise professional looking production look like crap. Maybe it’s gotten better.

According to the articles I’ve read, exactly three people have been killed by guns on movie sets. One of them Was a guy who put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. How many times have guns been fired as part of making movies? I suspect that’s an accident/death rate that is lower than lots of other professions. I’d wager that it’sa death rate lower than other types of gun accidents, like in hunting or home defense.

Movie making involves a ton of differently types of risk. The industry does a lot in terms of risk reduction. But it’s never going to be perfect. The risk of accidental death for movie personnel from gunfire is likely orders of magnitude less than the risk of death from driving to the set.

I think the production company absolutely needs to investigate and figure out why this happened. If the safety procedures were in fact followed, then they should look at strengthening those procedures. If they weren’t, those responsible should be fired and, if appropriate, prosecuted criminally. But I wouldn’t call for eliminating firing of guns on movie sets based on an extremely small risk of harm.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Alf'Omega wrote:
I don't even know why this is a thread, aside from the OP being a complete moron.

By insisting it wasn't an accident, it must therefore be intentional murder, which is precisely why our village idiot is clinging to it. He's so upset with Baldwin for mocking his cherished orange master for all these years.
Sometimes I wonder about you, man. He’s trolling the LiBeRaLs on the board by taking on the veneer of leftist rhetoric and arguing it to absurdity. He’s mocking you by acting like a literally stupid Leftist. It’d be akin to me talking about, say, wearing my Desert Eagle to the minimart for my morning coffee because you never know when a BLM protestor might go too far because they burn down car dealerships. And then when people take the bait I just start inserting stupid Conservative talking points by taking them to ridiculous conclusions. You’re a smart guy, no doubt about that, but if you could take half your rage genes and convert them into humor genes you might save yourself from the inevitable aneurysm coming your way.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:22 pm
Alf'Omega wrote:
I don't even know why this is a thread, aside from the opening post being a complete moron.

Sometimes I wonder about you, man. He’s trolling the LiBeRaLs on the board by taking on the veneer of leftist rhetoric and arguing it to absurdity. He’s mocking you by acting like a literally stupid Leftist. It’d be akin to me talking about, say, wearing my Desert Eagle to the minimart for my morning coffee because you never know when a BLM protestor might go too far because they burn down car dealerships. And then when people take the bait I just start inserting stupid Conservative talking points by taking them to ridiculous conclusions. You’re a smart guy, no doubt about that, but if you could take half your rage genes and convert them into humor genes you might save yourself from the inevitable aneurysm coming your way.

- Doc
I see no correlation with "leftist rhetoric" but even if this is true then you need to preach to Res Ipsa who apparently takes him seriously on this issue since he's written more in response. I've just dismissed him as a moron, whether he thinks he's being a successful troll or not. If you think this is "funny" then yeah, we have different humor genes or whatever. I think it is stupid. I mean six damned pages already and this doesn't even scratch the surface of his hundreds of similar posts many of which he's deleted.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Do you ever feel the need not to win some small point? The fact that you can’t admit that the qultist is using Leftist rhetoric and then you further deflect by shifting attention to Res Ipsa is classic you. Not every post has to be won - you’re not the anti-mopologist who, like them, needs to die on every ant hill. Different side, same coin.

Anyway. He’s been using this parody angle since he showed up. I pointed it out months ago, so I’m left to surmise people like Res Ipsa, who does in fact have a developed sense of humor, is just using him as a foil.

eta: canpakes is definitely using the cultist as a set-up man.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Alf'Omega wrote:
I don't even know why this is a thread, aside from the opening post being a complete moron.
I believe you answered your own question satisfactorily.
Alf'Omega wrote:
This seems obvious to me too. Any reasonable person would think so. That's why it's a dumb thread.
Alf'Omega wrote:
As much as I admire the patience and effort by the smarter people in this thread, I can't help feeling that it's wasted effort. I mean, seriously... 6 pages?

I didn’t know it was a contest. Cultellus, what kind of image would you like me to post as your prize?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.