Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

Post by Moksha »

This all sounds like a remarkedly empty-headed gesture. If a pound of flesh is required why not let Kevin McCarthy assign one of his new committee chairpeople to hold a hearing on it? I mean, he did play Trump on SNL. Good thing they do not use a prop gun with real ammo! Cow bells inflict enough damage.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote: This all sounds like a remarkedly empty-headed gesture….
I don’t think so, at all.
The DA appointed special prosecutor Andrea Reeb to oversee the case. “If any one of these three people—Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gutierrez Reed or David Halls—had done their job, Halyna Hutchins would be alive today. It’s that simple,” Reeb said in a statement. “The evidence clearly shows a pattern of criminal disregard for safety on the ‘Rust’ film set…”
This was pretty disturbing as well:
In addition to the bullet that killed Hutchins, investigators found five additional live rounds of ammunition mingled among the movie’s props and costumes. Two loose .45 bullets were discovered on top of a prop cart, a third was in a bandolier worn by actor Jensen Ackles, a fourth was in a gun belt worn by Baldwin, and a fifth was found in a box of dummy ammunition with Gutierrez Reed’s fingerprints on it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:31 pm
Moksha wrote: This all sounds like a remarkedly empty-headed gesture….
I don’t think so, at all.
The DA appointed special prosecutor Andrea Reeb to oversee the case. “If any one of these three people—Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gutierrez Reed or David Halls—had done their job, Halyna Hutchins would be alive today. It’s that simple,” Reeb said in a statement. “The evidence clearly shows a pattern of criminal disregard for safety on the ‘Rust’ film set…”
This was pretty disturbing as well:
In addition to the bullet that killed Hutchins, investigators found five additional live rounds of ammunition mingled among the movie’s props and costumes. Two loose .45 bullets were discovered on top of a prop cart, a third was in a bandolier worn by actor Jensen Ackles, a fourth was in a gun belt worn by Baldwin, and a fifth was found in a box of dummy ammunition with Gutierrez Reed’s fingerprints on it.
The other disturbing thing that I've read in a couple of news stories is that, contrary to reporting in the aftermath of the shooting, there was no evidence that employees had been using the guns for target practice shooting. So, how did live ammo get on the set in the first place?

I've been looking for a copy of the charges, but haven't found them yet. The probable cause affidavit should clarify the factual basis of the case.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

If I see the PCA I'll post a link here, RI.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:28 pm
If I see the PCA I'll post a link here, RI.
Thanks!
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

DA addresses the charges. This is a great help to the public in terms of understanding the charges and the case. She goes into far more detail than I would have expected just based on my following of true crime cases. Video runs just over 15 minutes. The first 10 minutes are the DA. Last 5 minutes-ish is analysis and commentary.

District attorney explains decision to charge Alec Baldwin over 'Rust' shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZq8cbujqQU
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Okay, the way the DA is going about this seems odd to me. The DA announced that charges will be filed. But no charges have been filed. Maybe publicity is handled differently in different jurisdictions, but it seems odd to me to hold a press conference announcing charges when no charges have been actually filed. Maybe these snippets from CNN's latest article provide relevant context:
First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies requested $635,000 in “emergency” money “to prosecute such a high-profile case,” she wrote to state officials last August.

“I need funding for an attorney, investigator, media contact person, paralegal, expert witnesses, and general trial expenses.”
Carmack-Altwies requested the extra money in a letter dated August 30, 2022. She was granted about half of the amount requested, and is expected to ask the legislature for the remainder.
The charges will be formally filed by the end of the month, Carmack-Altwies told CNN.
So, the DA only has half the money she needs to prosecute the case. Perhaps the announcement is intended to help her get the other half from the legislature or to pressure Baldwin and the armorer to enter into a guilty plea, as did the Assistant Director. Whatever it means, I'm not going to keep trying to locate the Criminal Complaint or the supporting Probable Cause affidavit. I expect there will be a another round of stories when they're filed.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I've never seen a DA to do that so far in advance, RI. But then I don't see or know everything either. Thanks for the information!

Slava Ukraini!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Can DA's get money from private sources? I'm sure old Donny would help raise funds from right-wing billionaires to bring the case.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »