Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Uh, Alec Baldwin just shot and killed someone

Post by Res Ipsa »

PG, that look down the barrel thing is new to me. Makes me nervous just thinking about it.

In other news:

A person believed to be the prop master contradicts earlier information that the gun was stored on a cart over lunch. She says she retrieved the gun from a safe and took it to the Armorer. Apparently, the gun was handed back and forth among the Armorer, Baldwin and the AD a few times. According to the Armorer, there were supposed to be dummy bullets in the gun. She has no idea how a live round got on the set.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/a ... 2nBjXWtqfN
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Physics Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:33 am
The new drill, with the look-down-the-barrel step, maybe also just makes people more careful about the first step of checking the chamber. Even thinking about looking down the muzzle really makes you want to be sure that the weapon's not loaded. You're not just going to glance.
I remember a routine of standing in line holding a rifle with the breech open, while an officer peered down the barrel. I have a vague idea that it was to check that we had cleaned the barrels properly after firing, but I suppose cleaning the barrel would also ensure that there was nothing else in there!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:06 am
Baldwin speaks
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/30/entertai ... index.html
What an ass.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Amazing how a few additional facts can change everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXmAeMQ ... ex=2&t=13s

I think he exonerates Alec the actor, who didn't check his gun but an open question for Alec the producer.

Apparently, filming movies with revolvers is inherently more dangerous because the ammunition is visible in a loaded revolver.

https://www.alamy.com/38-snub-nose-revo ... 00188.html

To make it realistic in non-firing mode, they film with dummy bullets, and dummy bullets look very real. In other words, an actor isn't qualified to check the gun to be sure in the case of dummy or blanks. The responsibility of the armorer is huge. So much more so is the responsibility of executives, and if there was can shooting allowed when it was common knowledge that the gun was being emptied of one kind of ammo during the day and replaced another depending on the need, when you can barely tell the two apart, then it's unthinkable.

But as far as a case for the actor NOT having the responsibility of checking the gun, here it is.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

No exoneration. He pointed the gun at someone, pulled the trigger, and killed the person. He could have been pretending to be a cowboy or a fish in a tree, it doesn't matter what he was pretending to be. He was the boss, and the trigger puller. He was responsible for handling the gun, and for handling the handlers of the gun.

He can be exonerated by a court. For now, he is just the guy who shot and killed his employee. I will accept what a jury decides, sorta.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

This has been brought up before …
The attorneys for the armorer who worked on Rust said they are looking into the possibility that someone intentionally "sabotaged" the set before Alec Baldwin accidentally shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence, attorneys for armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, told Today's Savannah Guthrie Wednesday that they are investigating whether someone could have dropped a live bullet into a box of prop ammunition before the fatal shooting occurred.

Bowles said Gutierrez-Reed loaded a bullet into the prop gun that killed Hutchins from a box of dummy rounds and only found the live round later. He explained, "We don't know whether that live round came from that box. We're assuming it did. We're assuming someone put the live round in that box."

Bowles told Guthrie someone placing a live round in the dummy box would "have to have the purpose of sabotaging the set," telling the Today anchor, "there's no other reason you would do that." The lawyer did not address the possibility that the live round could have been placed in the dummy box unintentionally.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cultellus wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:48 pm
No exoneration. He pointed the gun at someone, pulled the trigger, and killed the person. He could have been pretending to be a cowboy or a fish in a tree, it doesn't matter what he was pretending to be. He was the boss, and the trigger puller. He was responsible for handling the gun, and for handling the handlers of the gun.

He can be exonerated by a court. For now, he is just the guy who shot and killed his employee. I will accept what a jury decides, sorta.
You're just speaking nonsense because of right-wing politics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:05 am
Cultellus wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:48 pm

You're just speaking nonsense because of right-wing politics.
Did you write this all by yourself or did your caretaker help you?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Cultellus wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:44 pm
Did you write this all by yourself or did your caretaker help you?
I wish. My caretaker has been slacking off as of late. I want my raw hamburger and then to be hosed down as we agreed.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace