Four Hours at the Capitol: A Must Watch HBO Documentary

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Four Hours at the Capitol: A Must Watch HBO Documentary

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:18 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:23 pm
Was just looking at this and didn't see anything bout "SSI and disability" causing inflation. In fact, I didn't see anything really attributable to a president regarding inflation.
Interesting. The Fed (is this just St. Louis’ estimation or are they speaking on behalf of the Fed Reserve writ large?) suggests the CPI is 5%, which seems way, way underreported. Anecdotally my wife and I ‘feel’ like it’s closer to somewhere between 15%-20%. You can take my anecdotal feelings to the bank. Ha.

by the way, Xanax is kind of correct:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v67n3/v67n3p73.html

but he’s correct in the way that someone who says the NY Jets suck. They’re not wrong, but they can’t really point to a series of specific reasons why the Jets suck other than “the qb sucks” or “ownership sucks” or whatever.

- Doc
I think your anecdotal perception and the official rates are consistent. You're noticing the inflation where it hits your pocketbook, but may not be seeing the sectors of the economy where there is little or no inflation. The economy is going to be pretty uneven until Covid-19 becomes background noise. A disruption in any location can have a ripple effect that extends far beyond the original disruption.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Reflecting on the events of 1/6/21, I find the whole mess very sad and unfortunate. Why? Because I think that the protestors are absolutely right to be furious with Congress, but that they have been snookered into using the wrong champion to bring about the wrong solution to the problem. Honestly I think both our political parties are operating in La-La Land--my honest preference is for the ass over the elephant in the room--and it could be that some sort of revolution is in order. But, yikes, a revolution for Trump? LOL. Uh, no.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:49 pm
Reflecting on the events of 1/6/21, I find the whole mess very sad and unfortunate. Why? Because I think that the protestors are absolutely right to be furious with Congress, but that they have been snookered into using the wrong champion to bring about the wrong solution to the problem.
Agreed. All I thought about while watching the documentary is how their anger is understandable but misinformed/misdirected. I highly doubt they were as angry about the results of the election as they are about economic/cultural anxiety.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

I'm not sure how their anger is understandable. They were literally trying to hang their own VP. This wasn't a justified rage against Congress. No, they absolutely love the Congressmen who push their idiotic conspiracy theories. Their rage was based on the big lie, period. It was about sacrificing themselves for their hero, Trump. So he and his party could retain power.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:21 pm
All I thought about while watching the documentary is how their anger is understandable but misinformed/misdirected. I highly doubt they were as angry about the results of the election as they are about economic/cultural anxiety.
Well. They have the Passion of the Christ guy egging them on with Braveheart speeches:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/peo ... 26062.html

The speech:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/patriottakes ... 1088673805

These guys want a hot civil war. It makes me wonder how 2024 will go, especially if the Repubs take control of Congress in 2022.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:06 pm
I'm not sure how their anger is understandable.
It's understandable because they have been grossly misinformed (albeit willingly).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Alf'Omega wrote:
I'm not sure how their anger is understandable. They were literally trying to hang their own VP. This wasn't a justified rage against Congress. No, they absolutely love the Congressmen who push their idiotic conspiracy theories. Their rage was based on the big lie, period. It was about sacrificing themselves for their hero, Trump. So he and his party could retain power.
This guy. Oh boy. That made me laugh.

Starts out - not sure how they are understandable. Ends - understands them.

Okay Alf. Ya know, they did not hurt you, right? You can calm down. Ido be fine.
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:27 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:21 pm
All I thought about while watching the documentary is how their anger is understandable but misinformed/misdirected. I highly doubt they were as angry about the results of the election as they are about economic/cultural anxiety.
Well. They have the Passion of the Christ guy egging them on with Braveheart speeches:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/peo ... 26062.html

The speech:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/patriottakes ... 1088673805

These guys want a hot civil war. It makes me wonder how 2024 will go, especially if the Repubs take control of Congress in 2022.

- Doc
Meh. Whatever. Changing the house or the senate won’t change a damn thing. People will still be victims and people will still wear Let’s Go Brandon shirts.

The possible uprising is not just along party lines. Its about money and stuff more than Jesus.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

Cultellus wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:16 pm
Alf'Omega wrote:
This guy. Oh boy. That made me laugh.

Starts out - not sure how they are understandable. Ends - understands them.

Okay Alf. Ya know, they did not hurt you, right? You can calm down. Ido be fine.
Comprehension and context isn't your forté apparently. I was responding to the two previous remarks about the mob anger being about a frustration with Congress and how their actions were understandable. "Understandable" is commonly used as a synonym for justifiable or excusable, and it is in that sense I said their actions were not understandable. Kish's problem with Congress is likely the same problem I have, but my point was that the mob wasn't there attacking the Capitol because of anything Congress did. They were there acting on behalf of their autocrat in chief who told them to raise hell to try overturning the election. It was nothing short of an attempted coup by a crowd of mindless thugs and criminals. The reason Republicans aren't outraged is because nearly all of them were white.
Last edited by Alf'Omega on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

The only way to fix Congress is to ban lobbying. It is basically legalized bribery, and it needs to be done away with.