Four Hours at the Capitol: A Must Watch HBO Documentary

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Four Hours at the Capitol: A Must Watch HBO Documentary

Post by Gadianton »

Trump on Jan. 6 is what's called a deal breaker. Even if he were an economic God, it would be better to go with a sluggish economy then throw in with the precursor to a police state. China has had some economic good times. Hitler's economy was good. Since neither Biden nor Trump matter that much to the economy, that part is a wash.
Last edited by Gadianton on Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:36 pm
This is the line Ajax adopted some months ago.
In the Bizarro world of ajax, you aren't telling the truth unless you're lying.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Lisa Booth took on the issue. She did an entire podcast on it.

Democrats certainly can't run on the economy their policies have created in 2022. Jan 6 is the only card they have to play and it's a very weak one.
Since Biden took office we've seen the largest economic expansion in 40 years, record job growth, wage growth highest in 20 years, etc. Only a Right Wing idiot would think there is no economy to run on. I mean if the orange moron can run on the economy despite nearly destroying it, I don't know why you'd have a problem with Democrats running on the economy based on actual reality.
Last edited by Alf'Omega on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Perhaps the traitors were “cocked and loaded” instead of locked and loaded, and as such failed to achieve their aims that day.

- Doc

Pithy reference:

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:39 pm
Trump on Jan. 6 is what's called a deal breaker. Even if he were an economic God, it would be better to go with a sluggish economy then throw in with the precursor to a police state. China has had some economic good times. Hitler's economy was good. Since neither Biden nor Trump matter that much to the economy, that part is a wash.
I suppose you're right. It's not like Democratic constituents ever cared much about high paying jobs being created. SSI/Disability comes with COLA increases so I doubt they're concerned about inflation either.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastman_Memorandum
The Eastman Memorandum, was a document produced in 2020 by John C. Eastman, an American law professor working with the legal team of then-President Donald Trump, intended to overturn the 2020 United States presidential election results with the purpose of getting Trump re-elected by throwing out electors from seven states on January 6, 2021, when Congress counted the Electoral College votes. The memo has been described as an instruction manual for a coup d'état.
The memo laid out a six-step plan for Pence to overturn the election for Trump:

1- VP Pence, presiding over the joint session (or Senate Pro Tempore Grassley, if Pence recuses himself), begins to open and count the ballots, starting with Alabama (without conceding that the procedure, specified by the Electoral Count Act, of going through the States alphabetically is required).

2- When he gets to Arizona, he announces that he has multiple slates of electors, and so is going to defer decision on that until finishing the other States. This would be the first break with the procedure set out in the Act.

3- At the end, he announces that because of the ongoing disputes in the 7 States, there are no electors that can be deemed validly appointed in those States. That means the total number of “electors appointed” – the language of the 12th Amendment -- is 454. This reading of the 12th Amendment has also been advanced by Harvard Law Professor Laurence Tribe. A “majority of the electors appointed” would therefore be 228. There are at this point 232 votes for Trump, 222 votes for Biden. Pence then gavels President Trump as re-elected.

4-Howls, of course, from the Democrats, who now claim, contrary to Tribe’s prior position, that 270 is required. So Pence says, fine. Pursuant to the 12th Amendment, no candidate has achieved the necessary majority. That sends the matter to the House, where the “the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote . . . .” Republicans currently control 26 of the state delegations, the bare majority needed to win that vote. President Trump is re-elected there as well.

5- One last piece. Assuming the Electoral Count Act process is followed and, upon getting the objections to the Arizona slates, the two houses break into their separate chambers, we should not allow the Electoral Count Act constraint on debate to control. That would mean that a prior legislature was determining the rules of the present one — a constitutional no-no (as Tribe has forcefully argued). So someone – Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, etc. – should demand normal rules (which includes the filibuster). That creates a stalemate that would give the state legislatures more time to weigh in to formally support the alternate slate of electors, if they had not already done so.

6- The main thing here is that Pence should do this without asking for permission – either from a vote of the joint session or from the Court. Let the other side challenge his actions in court, where Tribe (who in 2001 conceded the President of the Senate might be in charge of counting the votes) and others who would press a lawsuit would have their past position -- that these are non-justiciable political questions – thrown back at them, to get the lawsuit dismissed. The fact is that the Constitution assigns this power to the Vice President as the ultimate arbiter. We should take all of our actions with that in mind.
- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I suppose you're right. It's not like Democratic constituents ever cared much about high paying jobs being created. SSI/Disability comes with COLA increases so I doubt they're concerned about inflation either.
how is it that republicans would be creating high paying jobs right now if this were the first year of the new republic under a trump dictatorship?

Was just looking at this and didn't see anything bout "SSI and disability" causing inflation. In fact, I didn't see anything really attributable to a president regarding inflation.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:23 pm
Was just looking at this and didn't see anything bout "SSI and disability" causing inflation. In fact, I didn't see anything really attributable to a president regarding inflation.
Interesting. The Fed (is this just St. Louis’ estimation or are they speaking on behalf of the Fed Reserve writ large?) suggests the CPI is 5%, which seems way, way underreported. Anecdotally my wife and I ‘feel’ like it’s closer to somewhere between 15%-20%. You can take my anecdotal feelings to the bank. Ha.

by the way, Xanax is kind of correct:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v67n3/v67n3p73.html

but he’s correct in the way that someone who says the NY Jets suck. They’re not wrong, but they can’t really point to a series of specific reasons why the Jets suck other than “the qb sucks” or “ownership sucks” or whatever.

- Doc
Alf'Omega
2nd Counselor

Post by Alf'Omega »

How Dumb Are They? Stephen Colbert Describes The Stupidity Of GOP Insurrectionists

Stephen Colbert mockingly saluted the “intellectual giants” of the Republican Party who were named in a new Rolling Stone report for helping the planners of the Jan. 6 Donald Trump rally that preceded the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol.

And by “intellectual giants,” Colbert meant the exact opposite as he described Reps. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.), Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas).

“It’s a real ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ of people who can’t count to 10,” Colbert said. “They have to set reminders on their phone to remind themselves to breathe.”

One Jan. 6 planner told Rolling Stone he specifically remembered the involvement of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-Ga.).

“Yes,” Colbert said. “I can imagine it’s hard to forget someone who tells you forest fires are caused by circumcised space lasers.”
Cultellus

Post by Cultellus »

Alf'Omega wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:35 am
How Dumb Are They? Stephen Colbert Describes The Stupidity Of GOP Insurrectionists

Stephen Colbert mockingly saluted the “intellectual giants” of the Republican Party who were named in a new Rolling Stone report for helping the planners of the Jan. 6 Donald Trump rally that preceded the deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol.

And by “intellectual giants,” Colbert meant the exact opposite as he described Reps. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.), Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas).

“It’s a real ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ of people who can’t count to 10,” Colbert said. “They have to set reminders on their phone to remind themselves to breathe.”

One Jan. 6 planner told Rolling Stone he specifically remembered the involvement of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-Ga.).

“Yes,” Colbert said. “I can imagine it’s hard to forget someone who tells you forest fires are caused by circumcised space lasers.”
Colbert is the comedian guy who is a douchebag, right? He pretends to be a clown sarcastic needling weenie and a douchebag. He is hysterical. Does he write his own jokes?