Grab Bag (No Politics or Religion!)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Grab Bag (No Politics or Religion!)

Post by Moksha »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:10 pm
Squirrels are extremely tasty!! My favorite is Squirrel gravy over a bed of egg noodles. We shoot them in the head with a pellet gun out of our bedroom window. Once we get a dozen or so we cookem up. Deeeeeelicious!!
Sounds a bit cannibalistic.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
SirPoopsaLot
Sunbeam

Post by SirPoopsaLot »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:09 pm
Tinfoilhat wrote:
Squirrels are extremely tasty!! My favorite is Squirrel gravy over a bed of egg noodles. We shoot them in the head with a pellet gun out of our bedroom window. Once we get a dozen or so we cookem up. Deeeeeelicious!!
Penguin is tasty, lot of rich and delicious fat. You should try it sometime
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:54 pm
This cartoon is ancient, but it still cracks me up.

For some reason, that image won't open up on my computer.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

SirPoopsaLot wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:25 pm
Moksha wrote:

Penguin is tasty, lot of rich and delicious fat. You should try it sometime
Don't you dare eat my Moksha! :o
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

?Re: Grab Bag (No Politics or Religion!)

Post by Gunnar »

Has anybody heard of the Sikh's Nagar Kirtan festival? It is annually held in my home town in Northern California, except for last year, when it was cancelled due to the pandemic. It returned this year Nov 5, and it is reportedly the world's largest Sikh festival. People come from all over the world to attend it, even from as far away as India. It is open to our entire community, and I have attended it several times in recent years. As part of the festival, they set up numerous venues for cooking and serving all kinds of ethnic Indian foods, which are all offered at no cost as a gift for their appreciation of the community in which they have lived and prospered and been accepted for years. One of their features a Sikh parade from one of their Sikh temples in town to their main temple just outside of town. All along the parade route there will be additional food booths offering free food to anyone who wants it. They even set up free parking areas in various locations in town with free shuttle service from those locations to the festival, so people can avoid the hassle of trying to find parking at the crowded festival site itself if they want to. Their parade is today, and I plan to see it. Their food is incredible both in its variety and taste. Although attendance and all the food is free, they do have commercial booths and tents where people can buy various products and goods, mostly of Indian origin, but no one is under any obligation to patronize them. The last time we attended the festival, we went there as the guests of our Sikh neighbor and his American wife who live about a half block from us. They are among our best and most respected friends.

Our town has one of the larger Sikh communities in California, apparently, and they are well respected and accepted here. One of them was even elected mayor of our city at one time. The main pharmacist at the pharmacy where I usually buy my medications is a Sikh, and he recognized me and warmly greeted me by name the minute I last walked into their store, even though I was wearing a covid mask, and they even sent me a birthday card on my birthday.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Moksha wrote:
Tinfoilhat wrote:
He doesn't eat them. He only tries to shoot them because he's jealous of the size of their dicks.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Tinfoilhat wrote:https://youtu.be/jV69Z8IQRFA
Another great performance
Seriously? You crack me up (◔_◔)
Last edited by Nomomo on Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Nomomo wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:40 am
Tinfoilhat wrote:https://youtu.be/jV69Z8IQRFA
Another great performance
Seriously? You crack me up (◔_◔)
Okokok, not everyone likes listening to Tech9. Here, I'm assuming you're a white guy, see if you can make it through this video without becoming uncomfortable. Would you say this is a great performance? Does it explain what's happening in America?
https://youtu.be/kMTUBE4KOek
Marcus
God

Re: ?Re: Grab Bag (No Politics or Religion!)

Post by Marcus »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:29 pm
Has anybody heard of the Sikh's Nagar Kirtan festival? It is annually held in my home town in Northern California, except for last year, when it was cancelled due to the pandemic. It returned this year Nov 5, and it is reportedly the world's largest Sikh festival. People come from all over the world to attend it, even from as far away as India. It is open to our entire community, and I have attended it several times in recent years. As part of the festival, they set up numerous venues for cooking and serving all kinds of ethnic Indian foods, which are all offered at no cost as a gift for their appreciation of the community in which they have lived and prospered and been accepted for years. One of their features a Sikh parade from one of their Sikh temples in town to their main temple just outside of town. All along the parade route there will be additional food booths offering free food to anyone who wants it. They even set up free parking areas in various locations in town with free shuttle service from those locations to the festival, so people can avoid the hassle of trying to find parking at the crowded festival site itself if they want to. Their parade is today, and I plan to see it. Their food is incredible both in its variety and taste. Although attendance and all the food is free, they do have commercial booths and tents where people can buy various products and goods, mostly of Indian origin, but no one is under any obligation to patronize them. The last time we attended the festival, we went there as the guests of our Sikh neighbor and his American wife who live about a half block from us. They are among our best and most respected friends.

Our town has one of the larger Sikh communities in California, apparently, and they are well respected and accepted here. One of them was even elected mayor of our city at one time. The main pharmacist at the pharmacy where I usually buy my medications is a Sikh, and he recognized me and warmly greeted me by name the minute I last walked into their store, even though I was wearing a covid mask, and they even sent me a birthday card on my birthday.
It's good to hear of events re-starting, and wow, this sounds like a great one! Have a great time, and please, tell us about the food when you get back. I would be in heaven at an event like that.
Gunnar
God

Re: ?Re: Grab Bag (No Politics or Religion!)

Post by Gunnar »

Marcus" wrote: It's good to hear of events re-starting, and wow, this sounds like a great one! Have a great time, and please, tell us about the food when you get back. I would be in heaven at an event like that.
I didn't go to the main event site this year, but I took my family to see the parade. We hooked up with our Sikh American couple friends that I previously mentioned in the parking lot of a Burger King restaurant that was next to the parade route. The Burger King was closed (probably because they knew they had no hope of getting any business that day because of the festival and parade, etc.), and their parking lot was filled only by people who had come to watch the parade and take advantage of the free Indian food from the curbside cooking and serving site that had been set up nearby right on the parade route. There was a pretty good crowd of people right there, and more food than even I could eat. All the food and drinks were free, and nobody went away hungry. There were more than just Sikhs involved in the parade, though. Hindus and Muslim Indians also participated, though the majority of the Indians in our community are Sikhs. Most of them make their living in agriculture, and were attracted to this area precisely because it is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions. As some of you probably know, California alone produces slightly more that 50% of all U.S fruits and vegetables, and we live right in one of California's most agriculturally productive areas. This was reflected in the parade, which featured a lot of farm equipment and floats and displays pulled by them. A lot of our Sikh and other East Indian residents are very prosperous farmers.

ETA: This was the 42nd annual Nagar Kirtan festival.