Grab Bag (No Politics or Religion!)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Nomomo
Priest

Re: Grab Bag (No Politics or Religion!)

Post by Nomomo »

This post from MajorGeeks really cracked me up!

Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Chap is right about E=Mc^2. It's true but it is not the explanation of why nuclear reactions are powerful.

Thinking that mass conversion is the mechanism by which nuclear weapons and reactors work is like thinking that Jeff Bezos got rich by making money. Pointing out that he made a lot of money isn't explaining how he got rich, though. It's just another way of saying that he got rich. The question is how he managed to make all that money.

In the same way that even poor people do make some money, rubbing your hands together to make a little warmth also destroys a really tiny bit of mass. Rubbing your hands just destroys a lot less mass than an H-bomb, in the same way that I make a lot less money than Bezos. The question is why.

Nuclear reactions are much more powerful than chemical reactions because nuclear forces are much stronger than the electrical forces that are involved in chemistry.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks Chap and PG. Great explanations.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here’s a wonderful article I just read about a woman that completed the 2021 Badwater ultramarathon (135 miles):

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/32 ... ssible-run

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

I have been following a number Groups on Facebook and elsewhere on the internet that feature Classical Guitarists for the last year or so. Although I am as far as a man from the sixties can get from being a chauvinist, I am still admittedly somewhat surprised (and pleasantly so I should add), to see that nearly 75 or 80% of the new amazing classical guitarist coming out and releasing material today are women. Seems natural to me now that this is so, that the majority of awesome classical guitarists are women. Women often, I believe have have a natural beautiful feeling in their interpretation and ability to express the nuances in the phrasing of modern classical guitar pieces. But years ago I would not have suspected this to be a reality that 70 to 80% of the awesome classical guitarists in the world are women. I am pleased that today women classical guitarists are getting the exposure they so richly deserve.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

This is kind of random, but I just ran across a video of a 15 year old Russian figure skater making her senior debut. I can't say I'm Dick Button, but I've casually followed women's figure skating since Peggy Fleming. Kamila Valieva is the most impressively complete figure skater I have ever seen. She has the ballet grace of Oksana Baiul, but a longer line, power, grace, elegant control. The announcers make it seem that she is a virtual lock for Gold in the Winter Olympics.

She skates to Bolero, just like Torvill & Dean. Enjoy.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:07 pm
Here’s a wonderful article I just read about a woman that completed the 2021 Badwater ultramarathon (135 miles):

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/32 ... ssible-run

- Doc
My sister in-law runs ultramarathons, but nothing on the scale of Badwater. Nothing but respect for people who can push themselves this hard.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Nomomo
Priest

Archaeologists Discover More Old crap That Sucks

Post by Nomomo »

Archaeologists Discover More Old crap That Sucks
https://www.theonion.com/archaeologists ... 1848400846

TUSUZAI, KAZAKHSTAN—Sighing at the end of another completely wasted day, a team of archaeologists confirmed Thursday they had discovered more old crap that sucks. “Our work at the site today has yielded more than 40 distinct pieces of complete crap,” archaeologist Karla Brandt said of the dig site in eastern Kazakhstan’s Tien Shan mountain range, in which her colleagues had discovered vast quantities of dirty and gross old stuff from the Wusun period that has no anthropological value whatsoever and, furthermore, totally damned blows. “Most of this crap is so broken that it doesn’t tell us anything, and we just throw it away. A lot of this crap sucked to begin with, though. Like, what are these old-ass tools, and why are they so poorly made? What the “F” was wrong with this ancient civilization? And who designed all this crap? Imagine wasting your whole life decorating some poorly made clay crap with drawings that look like the worst possible versions of gods or animals. What a bunch of utter garbage.” At press time, the team of archaeologists reported from a nearby dig site that they had discovered a bunch of other crap that wasn’t nearly as old but sucked just as much.
Last edited by Nomomo on Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:04 am
This is kind of random, but I just ran across a video of a 15 year old Russian figure skater making her senior debut. I can't say I'm Dick Button, but I've casually followed women's figure skating since Peggy Fleming. Kamila Valieva is the most impressively complete figure skater I have ever seen. She has the ballet grace of Oksana Baiul, but a longer line, power, grace, elegant control. The announcers make it seem that she is a virtual lock for Gold in the Winter Olympics.

She skates to Bolero, just like Torvill & Dean. Enjoy.
Welp. This didn’t age well.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.