Rittenhouse Trial: Calling Res Ipsa

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
ajax18
God

Re: Rittenhouse Trial: Calling Res Ipsa

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 pm
Multiple times, by multiple people, the protesters have been referred to as vigilantes. Could someone help explain to me how they fit that label? Weren’t Rittenhouse, et.al. the ones who were taking upon themselves a role of law enforcement by setting out to protect private property against lawless rioters?

Or do I have a skewed understanding of what a vigilante is?
Trying to disarm Rittenhouse seems pretty vigilante to me.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

In my personal experience, if there ever has been a time in my life I could have used something to protect myself, it would have been in Jr. high. Is the general rule of no guns within 1000 feet of a school contrary to the 2nd amendment?
I'm going to have to agree you about Jr. High.

I think pharmacists will have to be armed as things get worse.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 pm
Multiple times, by multiple people, the protesters have been referred to as vigilantes. Could someone help explain to me how they fit that label? Weren’t Rittenhouse, et.al. the ones who were taking upon themselves a role of law enforcement by setting out to protect private property against lawless rioters?

Or do I have a skewed understanding of what a vigilante is?
Does it? If they thought, whether mistaken or not, that they were legally using less than deadly force to protect others, their intent was to exercise the rights the state gives to its citizens — not to enforce the laws.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:11 am
ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 am

Does it? If they thought, whether mistaken or not, that they were legally using less than deadly force to protect others, their intent was to exercise the rights the state gives to its citizens — not to enforce the laws.
If they thought …
I suppose they could testify to a jury or judge what they thought, but it seems like that’d be not super effective in the Rittenhouse trial, no?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:11 am

If they thought …
I suppose they could testify to a jury or judge what they thought, but it seems like that’d be not super effective in the Rittenhouse trial, no?

- Doc
Well, that is the advantage of being the last man standing. You’re the only one who gets to testify. I was thinking more about the theoretical difference difference between a citizens exercising individual rights under law and a citizen taking on the duties of law enforcement.
he/him

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:30 am
I think pharmacists will have to be armed as things get worse.
Unfair advantage. Your clients already need glasses.

ETA: Sorry, ajax. I thought that you had written, ‘optometrists’, there … but, you actually wrote ‘pharmacists’.

Here you go:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime ... story.html
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:24 am

- Doc
Well, that is the advantage of being the last man standing.
Except three men were left standing, two of which declined to testify. One did. Why wouldn’t the DA have offered some sort of deal to the other two men if this were an effective strategy?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 am

Well, that is the advantage of being the last man standing.
Except three men were left standing, two of which declined to testify. One did. Why wouldn’t the DA have offered some sort of deal to the other two men if this were an effective strategy?

- Doc
Sorry Doc, I misunderstood your point. Yes, what each of the other persons were thinking at the time is fairly irrelevant in deciding where R was within the self-defense privilege. Their testimony could be recent to what actually happened, but their internal thought process at the time isn’t related to what a reasonable person in R’s position would have reasonably thought. I’m assuming the DA could have subpoena witnesses, but I’m not sure how much new information they would have provided.

Last man standing wouldn’t have helped R much because of the camera footage. But it sure was a big advantage to Zimmerman, as an example.
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Binger wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:47 am
Wrong. The tragedy is that people screwed around and found out. Open carry is not the tragedy at all.
Grosskreutz didn't break the law for having a gun in his hand. Rittenhouse did break the law for pointing his rifle. "If a person intentionally points a gun at someone else, they may face Class A misdemeanor charges".
https://www.bucherlawgroup.com/milwauke ... hould-know

And Grosskreutz didn't break the law for following the crowd. According to the law in Wisconsin, "Stalking is defined as conduct directed towards the victim on two separate occasions, during which—on one occasion—the accused stalker became aware that the actions were unwelcome."
https://www.traceywood.com/wisconsin-stalking-laws/

According to a professor of criminal law, "First, the use of force must be proportionate to the force employed by the aggressor. If the aggressor lightly punches the victim in the arm, for example, the victim cannot use deadly force in response. It’s not proportional...A person’s own subjective view of this fear is not enough to satisfy the standard for self-defense."
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

And after doing my reading I found out there is no evidence that Rosenbaum verbally threaten Rittenhouse.

According to a professor of criminal law, "First, the use of force must be proportionate to the force employed by the aggressor. If the aggressor lightly punches the victim in the arm, for example, the victim cannot use deadly force in response. It’s not proportional...A person’s own subjective view of this fear is not enough to satisfy the standard for self-defense."
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: