Rittenhouse Trial: Calling Res Ipsa

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Rittenhouse Trial: Calling Res Ipsa

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:10 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:57 pm
Why isn’t it seen as more problematic that Rittenhouse chose to bring a rifle as opposed to a handgun, for ‘defensive’ purposes?
Is problematic illegal?

I’m still trying to figure out what the prosecution believes it can get to stick ref charges.

- Doc
Definitely not illegal to carry a long gun in this situation, right? But, maybe problematic for claiming a defensive purpose as it seems inappropriate … unless one intended to hole up somewhere and take shots from a distance, in which case it’s hard to argue that other protesters hundreds of yards away posed a serious enough threat to one’s life to require firing at them from that distance. Attempting to disable or merely injure isn’t legal, so the shooter would be shooting to kill without strong cause, if at distance.

Small arms would seem more appropriate for the task. They don’t guarantee your safety through distance as a long gun would, but one would be able to better size up the immediate threat to determine if firing would be required, while not being forced to essentially carry a long gun as a defensive EDC.

I don’t know the finer points of this. Your own military experience would provide better insight. But the idea that Rittenhouse packed a long gun to go to a protest to arguably defend random properties seems problematic. I understand that this is not what the argument in court is, but still… weird.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:31 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:57 pm
Why isn’t it seen as more problematic that Rittenhouse chose to bring a rifle as opposed to a handgun, for ‘defensive’ purposes?
Game, set and match! Boom, common sense right here folks!
https://youtu.be/3ZRcN7CG8G8

If you encountered someone carrying a rifle in that crowded situation, would you leave your handgun holstered until he fired at you?
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Post by Tinfoilhat »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:38 pm
Tinfoilhat wrote:

If you encountered someone carrying a rifle in that crowded situation, would you leave your handgun holstered until he fired at you?
Correct, now you're starting to understand! If a guy has a rifle, don't run towards him, that's just pure common sense. Uhhh, real life isn't a video game canpakes.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:10 pm

Is problematic illegal?

I’m still trying to figure out what the prosecution believes it can get to stick ref charges.

- Doc
Definitely not illegal to carry a long gun in this situation, right? But, maybe problematic for claiming a defensive purpose as it seems inappropriate … unless one intended to hole up somewhere and take shots from a distance, in which case it’s hard to argue that other protesters hundreds of yards away posed a serious enough threat to one’s life to require firing at them from that distance. Attempting to disable or merely injure isn’t legal, so the shooter would be shooting to kill without strong cause, if at distance.

Small arms would seem more appropriate for the task. They don’t guarantee your safety through distance as a long gun would, but one would be able to better size up the immediate threat to determine if firing would be required, while not being forced to essentially carry a long gun as a defensive EDC.

I don’t know the finer points of this. Your own military experience would provide better insight. But the idea that Rittenhouse packed a long gun to go to a protest to arguably defend random properties seems problematic. I understand that this is not what the argument in court is, but still… weird.
My guess is he thought the rifle either in a low ready position or high ready position was a deterrent for any potential attackers. Just to be clear, I thought he shouldn’t have been there, he had no business ‘defending’ businesses because he wasn’t deputized or part of the natty guard just like his attackers had no business being there, especially the lapsed-licensed paramedic packing a hand gun that ended up costing him a bicep. I think they’re all fools and anarchists.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

canpakes wrote:
Tinfoilhat wrote:
I’d literally walk away in the opposite direction. What would you do?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:41 pm
canpakes wrote:
Correct, now you're starting to understand! If a guy has a rifle, don't run towards him, that's just pure common sense. Uhhh, real life isn't a video game canpakes.
You mean that you’re not going to be the good guy with a gun that stops the bad guy with a gun? : D

Correct, real life isn’t a video game. Rittenhouse can’t press ‘reset’ and bring back the life of people who didn’t fire at him.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:45 pm
canpakes wrote:

- Doc
I’d pretty much be doing the same. Not sure why Rittenhouse may have planned to do otherwise.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:46 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:45 pm

- Doc
I’d pretty much be doing the same. Not sure why Rittenhouse may have planned to do otherwise.
I have a hard time believing you haven’t watched the videos that show Rittenhouse under attack.

- Doc
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:43 pm
Just to be clear, I thought he shouldn’t have been there, he had no business ‘defending’ businesses because he wasn’t deputized or part of the natty guard just like his attackers had no business being there, especially the lapsed-licensed paramedic packing a hand gun that ended up costing him a bicep. I think they’re all fools and anarchists.

- Doc

Agree completely.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:48 pm
canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:46 pm
I have a hard time believing you haven’t watched the videos that show Rittenhouse under attack.

- Doc
I have. I linked to a few back in the other thread.