Don't tax Jeff Bezos

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Don't tax Jeff Bezos

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 pm
#MeToo just crapped all over the anti-aging community; all because a researcher made an inappropriate joke many years ago. I never thought #MeToo could end up killing me for something so stupid. My chances of making it to the 22nd century just decreased by a lot.
What in the world are you talking about?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:09 pm

A researcher was just fired for making an inappropriate joke many years ago. It was just a joke, the guy didn't touch anybody. Nobody accused him of a crime. He was a leading researcher in the anti-aging community. There aren't many anti-aging researchers in the world, finding a replacement would be very hard. The guy had the intelligence and the charisma.

So sad.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Last edited by doubtingthomas on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:09 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 pm
#MeToo just crapped all over the anti-aging community; all because a researcher made an inappropriate joke many years ago. I never thought #MeToo could end up killing me for something so stupid. My chances of making it to the 22nd century just decreased by a lot.
Never mind. Found it.

Here is the investigative report into your hero’s conduct:

https://www.sens.org/wp-content/uploads ... xC0E95.pdf

He wasn’t fired because he made an inappropriate joke. He was fired because, after being placed on leave during the investigation and repeatedly told that the investigation was confidential, he repeatedly posted on Facebook during the investigation and sent an e-mail to one of the complainants in which he lied to her about the results of the investigation in order to persuade her to pressure the other complainant into Proving false information.

He was fired for being an arrogant, dishonest dickhead who actively tried to witness tamper by threatening one of the complainants.

My sympathies for your terrible burden of having a normal lifespan.
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:38 pm
He was fired for being an arrogant, dishonest dickhead who actively tried to witness tamper by threatening one of the complainants.

My sympathies for your terrible burden of having a normal lifespan.
Did you read his side of the story?
https://Twitter.com/aubreydegrey/status ... 9001001986

Sure. The progress in anti-aging research will slow down. What is next? Cancer research?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

He admits to the attempted witness tampering. Nothing justifies that. The report evaluated his side of the story along with other evidence.

The witness tampering alone is grounds for firing. I would have fired him too. He doesn’t deserve a free pass just because you want to live longer.

Progress in a scientific field doesn’t depend on a single individual.
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:51 pm

Sadly it does in the anti-aging field. You can't name many prominent anti-aging researchers with the same (or better) credentials. He was the face of anti-aging. And by anti-aging I mean people who are working to expand human lifespan.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:51 pm
Very few researchers are working on real regenerative therapies. The lack of funding is a serious problem. De Grey promoted anti-aging research.