Get Back Docuseries

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Get Back Docuseries

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hey All,

Although I've mentioned this special on other threads, I thought I'd give this it's own thread. Because I think it deserves it. This begins Thanksgiving night and runs three nights on Disney Plus.

The Beatles: Get Back | Official Trailer | Disney+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auta2lagtw4

Enjoy!

We're getting Disney Plus for this. Not joking. 8-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Re: Get Back Docuseries

Post by Some Schmo »

Really looking forward to that.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:13 pm
Really looking forward to that.
I am, too! It'll be a nice relaxing after Thanksgiving thing to do for a couple or three nights.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The Beatles, Get Back and London: on the trail of a timeless story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha1Q5d-qusQ

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Inside the story of the Beatles documentary “Get Back” 4:31 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvWFYMk2DPg

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

It is truly amazing to think of what cash cow the Beatles have with their catalog of recordings.

My understanding is that Get Back was actually recorded before Abbey Road. Get Back is not my favorite Beatles album. I think there are flashes of brilliance, and bringing Phil Spector on as a Producer was an interesting idea, but to my ear it didn't work. The group released a later version without Phil Spector's arrangements, Let it Be Naked.

From the little music I heard on YouTube, I'm interested to find out if there was additional mastering done on the tapes. The sound was great for YouTube. Dollars to donuts there will 'companion' CDs and Blu Ray.

The one thing you can say about the Beatles: They were well documented.

But I'm looking forward to it all.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 pm
It is truly amazing to think of what cash cow the Beatles have with their catalog of recordings.

My understanding is that Get Back was actually recorded before Abbey Road. Get Back is not my favorite Beatles album. I think there are flashes of brilliance, and bringing Phil Spector on as a Producer was an interesting idea, but to my ear it didn't work. The group released a later version without Phil Spector's arrangements, Let it Be Naked.

From the little music I heard on YouTube, I'm interested to find out if there was additional mastering done on the tapes. The sound was great for YouTube. Dollars to donuts there will 'companion' CDs and Blu Ray.

The one thing you can say about the Beatles: They were well documented.

But I'm looking forward to it all.
I'm not a huge, huge, fan of the Beatles. Hard core Stones fan though I'm sure that's a well kept secret on this board 8-) and not that you have to choose one vs. the other, and we've discussed that on a previous thread. I do like their music but more than that, I would like to see their process and how they play off each other in the series.

I'm really looking forward to watching it as a nice pause between Thanksgiving and C'mas.

McCartney has apparently published a book called The Lyrics (?). I wouldn't mind reading that.

And...I wouldn't mind seeing our (alleged and put off twice already) return trip to the UK become reality so I can darn sure take our photo crossing Abbey Road. Because I'm gonna do it. Because it's a rule.

And I shall be Ringo. ;)

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:01 pm
I'm not a huge, huge, fan of the Beatles. Hard core Stones fan though I'm sure that's a well kept secret on this board 8-) and not that you have to choose one vs. the other, and we've discussed that on a previous thread.
The Beatles/Rolling Stones "debate" must have been a big thing in the 60's which carried over some to the 70's and 80's. I vaguely remember it from when I was young.

I'm in the "why does a choice have to be made" camp. They both were major influences on popular culture. I will admit I like the Beatles much more than the Stones on average, but the Stones had a ton of great songs. There are moments when I completely understand coming down on the Stones side of the debate.

I consider the Beatles to be more musically creative and better at writing melodies, but the Stones were more of a pure Rock and Roll band. They both had a place.

I will say that I play the Beatles with intention, and usually only listen to the Stones when they come on the radio (a.k.a. Spotify "radio" station), but it's rare that I don't enjoy that surprise. And some of the best use of the Stones' music is on movie soundtracks (Martin Scorsese is a master at using the Stones in his movies - he's actually turned me on to certain songs because of the way he used them).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

My understanding is that the rivalry was a myth cooked up to boost record sales. Ringo and Charlie were friends.

Not to mention I like what I like and personality isn't necessarily a factor. If it was I would hate John, Paul and the entirety of the Stones lineup just for starters.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Father Francis wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:32 am
My understanding is that the rivalry was a myth cooked up to boost record sales. Ringo and Charlie were friends.

Not to mention I like what I like and personality isn't necessarily a factor. If it was I would hate John, Paul and the entirety of the Stones lineup just for starters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wanna_Be_Your_Man

Slava Ukraini!