Remember the 13 children imprisoned and tortured by their parents?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Remember the 13 children imprisoned and tortured by their parents?

Post by K Graham »

This happened in 2018 and I remember being so curious what became of the children. Well, last night I watched a 20/20 special detailing the case and it was nothing short of heartbreaking. Jordan Turpin was 17 when she crawled out the window, leaving her home for the first time in years, because she was tired of listening to her younger siblings cry all night due to starvation and being chained to their beds.

The special provides the bodycam footage when they cops first entered the home as well as when they initially met Jordan at 5:00am on the corner of a nearby street. It was so amazing learning what these kids did in isolation to stay alive. The mother purchased thousands of dollars worth of cloths and kids toys but none of the children were ever allowed to use them. These people were religious nuts (Pentecostals) and obvious hoarders, with trash piled up in every corner of the house, mold everywhere, human excrement stained the carpets, etc. Kids hadn't showered in over a year, they were forced to wear the same nasty cloths day in and day out while chained to their beds and given nothing but bread and peanut butter to subsist on.

Sisters Describe Escape From 'House Of Horrors': 'I Knew I Would Die If I Got Caught'
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Remember the 13 children imprisoned and tortured by their parents?

Post by Philo Sofee »

I just watched this tonight. Absolutely terrible what happened, even after with the stupid system then causing them even more problems!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Re: Remember the 13 children imprisoned and tortured by their parents?

Post by MeDotOrg »

What I keeping wondering is what the Parents' childhoods were like. How do you grow up capable of doing this? This isn't the neglect of parents who were drug addicts, for example. The Parents talked a lot about biblical punishments. This took effort. What was their motivation? Maybe I'm asking questions to which there are no satisfactory answers, but I wonder what wound the parents up.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land