De Santis policies still winning on COVID

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: De Santis policies still winning on COVID

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:52 pm
And in reality most unvaccinated people have nothing to worry about.
Funny that hospital doctors are telling us that nowadays it is overwhelmingly the unvaccinated who are in the ICUs hovering on the border between life and death. But apart from that, really nothing to worry about, like you said. No reason to suffer the mild inconvenience of getting vaccinated. I mean, it might hurt or you might feel a bit odd for a day or two. Who'd want to have to go through that?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I was telling my wife the other day the Florida is my least favorite state (that I've visited). It's ugly from tourist billboards and crap. I wouldn't go there again even if the governor wasn't a moron. If you want a good Southern vacation, avoid Florida at all costs and go to North or South Carolina instead (my favorite states down south, and I've been to all the Southern states).

I've never been to New York, but I imagine it would be quite an improvement over Florida.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

ajax18 wrote:If you're vaccinated, you have nothing to worry about.
Unless, for example, you're unfortunate enough to understand math and care about other people.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I thought it was pretty well known in the real world that De Santis was cooking the stats. He even sent a swat team after a 20-something female statistician who was running her own numbers that demonstrated this. It was a total crap show. De Santis is a thug with gargantuan ambition to be the deadlier version of Donald Trump and absolutely no scruples checking that ambition.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 pm
Unless, for example, you're unfortunate enough to understand math and care about other people.
You and your standards. ;) :lol:
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:09 pm
I was telling my wife the other day the Florida is my least favorite state (that I've visited). It's ugly from tourist billboards and crap. I wouldn't go there again even if the governor wasn't a moron. If you want a good Southern vacation, avoid Florida at all costs and go to North or South Carolina instead (my favorite states down south, and I've been to all the Southern states).

I've never been to New York, but I imagine it would be quite an improvement over Florida.
As someone who has lived in Florida for the past 18 years, I can verify that it is a real mixed bag.

If you want anything like a monoculture in your state, choose a smaller state. Florida has deeply blue parts and bleeding red parts. It has some of the most virulent Trumpism and the most unrealistic liberalism, and both sides are somewhat inept and corrupt, although, as you know, I am going to vote blue consistently because the insanity of today's GOP really provides no viable alternative.

The alligators are damned cool. The birds too. In my neighborhood I see and hear hawk, owl, deer, the occasional sandhill crane, ibis, bats, etc., etc., etc. I really like nature, and there is a lot of great nature all over the world, but Florida has some nifty stuff. The beaches on the opposite coasts are quite different, and each version has its charms. The giant freshwater springs are stunning. The manatees are a favorite of mine, but they are abused and probably not long for the world.

Reckless profiteering is the worst thing about Florida. It is heartbreaking to see it in action, but there you go.

Still visiting NASA, the Ringling Museum, Disney, Universal Studios, SeaWorld, all pretty fun stuff. Cuban food can be found all over the place. And I really like good Cuban food.

But I can attest that there is plenty of dark side. Plenty of human misery. Corruption is pretty endemic. And you are totally right about the billboards. No mountains, so they really stand out.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

I lived in Orlando for roughly 7 years. Florida is riddled with sink holes due to porous soil and most of the state will likely be under water in the next couple of centuries. If you take away the beaches, the state is mostly swamp/everglade, and quite ugly. It is the luck of the draw that Florida has more miles of beaches than California. That is what drives revenue for the state, from out of state tourism, which is the only reason they can afford not to have a state tax. Florida has more hotel rooms than the next two states combined. Constant road construction makes life miserable there and seems never ending. Every time I go back to Orlando I'm amazed how they're still doing construction on I-4.

Also, I was there September 2004 when Orlando was hit by four hurricanes in September. It was literally back to back to back one after the other, each hitting the state from different angles and Orlando got pummeled. My grandma's house had these huge trees that were hundreds of years old, completely wiped out.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:03 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Case counts never mattered. And it doesn't matter now. If you're vaccinated, you have nothing to worry about. And in reality most unvaccinated people have nothing to worry about. If you don't like De Santis policies, than move to a blue state that you feel is safer. Quit trying to New York my Florida.
Now that's the best example of shifting goalposts I've seen in a long time. You were happy to talk about case counts when you thought you had a "gotcha." Now that you realize the only person who was "got" was you, you want to change the subject. How many more times are you going to let Breitbart hold the football for you, Charlie Brown?

P.S. -- Florida isn't "yours." Individuals don't own states. We still have freedom of movement in this country, including the freedom to choose where to live. Why do you hate freedom? And any current Floridian who doesn't think Florida has handled the pandemic well is free to vote him out of office. Why do you hate voting? Hmm. Ajaxland doesn't sound very free to me.
Ajax is 0 for 2 this week in throwing idiotic Brietbart pieces at us.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:35 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:03 pm

Now that's the best example of shifting goalposts I've seen in a long time. You were happy to talk about case counts when you thought you had a "gotcha." Now that you realize the only person who was "got" was you, you want to change the subject. How many more times are you going to let Breitbart hold the football for you, Charlie Brown?

P.S. -- Florida isn't "yours." Individuals don't own states. We still have freedom of movement in this country, including the freedom to choose where to live. Why do you hate freedom? And any current Floridian who doesn't think Florida has handled the pandemic well is free to vote him out of office. Why do you hate voting? Hmm. Ajaxland doesn't sound very free to me.
Ajax is 0 for 2 this week in throwing idiotic Brietbart pieces at us.
This is the piece the 🧦 puppets refuse to acknowledge with regard to ‘how Ajax is treated’. It’s mainly drive-by posting and topic shifting. He literally can’t stay on his own topics, and this creates a tremendous amount of frustration. If he were to just stick with his own topics, and then make good points that are easily researched I’m sure reactions would, at the very least, be a little more tempered.

That said, according to the NYT, 88% of people 65 and up are fully vaccinated. 70% of all ages are vaccinated. You’d think the Florida GOP, seeing how many people got the jab, would be less antagonistic toward it. It doesn’t seem like a good strategy to me. However, they hold a 2-1 advantage in the legislature, so obviously they know their constituents and I suppose the vaccine stuff doesn’t bother Floridians much one way or the other.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:41 pm
Still visiting NASA, the Ringling Museum, Disney, Universal Studios, SeaWorld, all pretty fun stuff. Cuban food can be found all over the place. And I really like good Cuban food.
I may have painted an uglier picture than I should have. I have some great memories of the several times we took our daughter to Florida for Disney and the rest. I just remember that I hated the drive. The most important part of any road trip for me is the scenery.

I suppose my comment to my wife was more about how when you take away the amusement parks and a child to take them to (she's an adult now), there's not much to draw me there any more. This conversation happened in the context of places we still want to go for vacation.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.