Can't We Do Something about All the Idiotic Sock Puppets?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Atlanticmike
God

Re: Can't We Do Something about All the Idiotic Sock Puppets?

Post by Atlanticmike »

Binger wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:45 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:38 pm

The board is an interesting phenomenon when you think about it. Posters can create avatars of themselves that reflect their mood or even an aspect of their personality, and much like a film’s mood is affected by a composer’s score this board is affected by an avatar’s express intent to affect the board. I tend to think of the sock puppets as a poster’s noisy or clumsy way of interacting with a world they don’t care to understand in any meaningful way. They prefer to act upon the world first rather than understand the world first, and then act upon it second. Maintaining a single avatar with a history tied to that identity is frustrating for the actor who prefers roles over their own sense of self. Bad faith acting is a terrible strategy when trying to dig into issues and get to the facts.

So I guess the ignore function is useful only so far as a mute button is useful for watching a television program. The risk Shades runs by allowing actors to act, and let’s face it, most actors are crappy actors, is his broadcasting corporation, so to speak, becomes so tedious people will just find a different venue to interact with since his venue’s lineup is more noise than substance.

- Doc
Is viewership up or down when these actors act?

It sounds really sad for the 12 people that were posting here to now be in a forum with 14 people. Should we cry? Can we send flowers? I suggest filing a formal complaint with moderators. Threads like this seem, to me, like murder and anarchy. Mostly like mass murder and nuclear destruction of the democracy through genocide and war. But also just a bit like regular murder and genocide. How dare you, Doc CamNC4Me, how dare you question our leaders and the forum owner?

Please put me on ignore. Your form of anarchy is too scary. Goodbye.
Doc Cam has been saying he ignores for months and months 😂. But he can't help himself, he can't leave me alone, he has a crush on me, I can tell.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

See? AM just butt-screwed himself twice.

I bet he licks his gun to clean it after he's done. Probably leaves it loaded, too, in case he's feeling up to a simulated cum shot.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Binger on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

K Graham wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:20 pm
Nope. Shades is enjoying the fruits of his labor. If it isn't against one of the sacrosanct rules he arbitrarily concocted, then anything else goes.

But hey, at least there is no disparaging of Asian pop bands.

I'm not sure any of us could tolerate a board without that rule.
I've read the history of the mod board from the time of the Great Moderatorial Experiment through this morning. The rules have not been arbitrarily concocted and are not sacrosanct. They've been revised many times over the years. But he doesn't do it without significant thought, and he doesn't rush to create more rules in response to the crisis du jour. Like anything else, that has upsides and downsides. It creates stability over time but also means users who want issues addressed immediately will be frustrated.

If you want a troll-free board, start one. If folks like it better, they'll switch.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:56 pm

If you want a troll-free board, start one. If folks like it better, they'll switch.
I don't think there are many boards with intelligent exmos like you.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Post by Tinfoilhat »

Res Ipsa wrote:
K Graham wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:20 pm
Nope. Shades is enjoying the fruits of his labor. If it isn't against one of the sacrosanct rules he arbitrarily concocted, then anything else goes.

But hey, at least there is no disparaging of Asian pop bands.

I'm not sure any of us could tolerate a board without that rule.
I've read the history of the mod board from the time of the Great Moderatorial Experiment through this morning. The rules have not been arbitrarily concocted and are not sacrosanct. They've been revised many times over the years. But he doesn't do it without significant thought, and he doesn't rush to create more rules in response to the crisis du jour. Like anything else, that has upsides and downsides. It creates stability over time but also means users who want issues addressed immediately will be frustrated.

I'll switch!! 😆
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I'll switch!! 😆
Me too!!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Given the possibly misplaced enthusiasm of the last poster, may I note that "a troll-free board" does not mean a board that guarantees the liberty of the trolls. It's more like a gluten free loaf.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Binger on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:03 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I don't think there are many boards with intelligent exmos like you.
That's kind of you to say, but Im far from the sharpest knife in the former Mormon drawer -- especially on Mormonism itself.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.