Thieves now mock the rule of law in “progressive” cities like San Francisco

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Thieves now mock the rule of law in “progressive” cities like San Francisco

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Someone does a Sir David Attenborough on the looters:

https://streamable.com/4hwjqe

:lol:
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm
Even if the conservatives' claims that certain progressives or democrats really were guilty of something equally egregious were true (which is too often not the case), it is entirely irrelevant to the question of whether or not the conservative miscreants deserve to be absolved of or excused for whatever lie or wrongful act in which they were caught.
Liberals really do believe in a two tiered justice system depending on political ideology.
Pure projection on your part!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

San Francisco has been portrayed as some sort of lawless hell hole. A couple of weeks ago there was a gang shooting on Haight Street that had occurred about an hour before I got to the taped-off crime scene. Since then there has been a significant uptick in patrols on Haight Street.

I rarely venture downtown, especially during the holidays if I can avoid it. I like the neighborhoods: The Mission, North Beach, Castro, Haight-Ashbury...what's left of the non-gentrified San Francisco is found in the neighborhoods.

Cognoscenti visit San Francisco in late September and early October. Perhaps because of climate change, we have had an entire month of Indian Summer in November. I first moved to the Bay Area in the 1960's, and I've lived in San Francisco continuously since the late 70's. This has been the most beautiful fall I have ever seen. Last night I ate outside in shirt sleeves. Days modulating between Indian Summer warm and just a hit of fall nip.

As a bicycle rider, these days are the days you harvest before it starts to rain. So this last month has been a giant CARPE DIEM for me and my bicycle. I ride down to a dog park, where I have several transactional canine relationships based upon my dog treat supply. I ride up to the Top of Twin Peaks, down the hill for a twice-baked almond croissant and a latte (yeah, a left-coast meal), then down to the ocean, up the Great Highway to Golden Gate Park and then a ride past the Windmills, the Bison, and up the hill to home. Virtually every day this month has been a picture-book ride.

This city has a lot of problems, but it also has a lot of resiliency. There is a lot of activism, which a lot of conservatives view as intrusive, but there is a vibrancy and sense of community in the neighborhoods. It's depressing to see all the stores that have gone out of business, but that's not shoplifting or lawlessness. A lot of San Francisco's economy is based on tourism. A lot of money has stopped coming in.

All this meandering is to let you know that the experience of living in San Francisco is not the hell hole portrayed on the news. I love this city. I'm not saying I couldn't be happy somewhere else, but if my finances allow me, I would like to spend the rest of my days here. I have a lot less square footage and spend a lot more on burritos, but for me it's worth the trade-offs.

Just one soldier's report from the battlefront.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Turns out that ‘non progressive’/red states have the same issues. Whaddya know. ; )
As the US has seen an increase in organized shoplifting, authorities in North Carolina and Florida are experiencing a wave of robberies.

Florida officials announced Thursday that they have created a new task force to fight shoplifting. Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody said she had launched the Florida Organized Retail Crime Exchange, “a first of its kind, statewide and a new interactive database to discover trends, identify suspects and mass, organized to eliminate shoplifting gangs.”

In North Carolina, small businesses face robberies. This week, thieves stole tens of thousands of dollars worth of handbags from a store in Cary. News channel WTVD reported that the company, J’Adore Boutique, had to repair its door after the theft.

Stores in North Carolina and Florida have increased security in response to a spike in thefts.

“This isn’t your typical shoplifter stealing sunglasses. These are organized crime rings,” Andy Ellen, president of the North Carolina Retail Merchants Association, told the station.
https://x99news.com/2021/12/03/florida- ... es-spikes/
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Florida officials announced Thursday that they have created a new task force to fight shoplifting.
At least with this latest attempt to stop the stealing, someone is actually stealing something. lol.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

https://youtu.be/p4Px0-46baU
Lady explains life of a business owner in a PROGRESSIVE city.