Thieves now mock the rule of law in “progressive” cities like San Francisco

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Thieves now mock the rule of law in “progressive” cities like San Francisco

Post by Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:17 pm
SirPoopsaLot wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:00 pm
Progressive people are totally clueless about the teachings of their progressive prophets.
What's this 'prophets' nonsense? I for one don't have any.
What's incredibly daft about that comment is that if progressivism is a cult, it wouldn't be much of a cult if they didn't listen to their "leader." Could a comment be any dumber than that one? Again, I suspect this person has suffered some kind of irreparable brain damage.

I suppose some people resist thinking about the stupid crap they're about to post. Thinking is too painful after they smashed their head in.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Gadianton wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:37 pm
They can't be mocking the rule of law worse than the conservatives of Jan. 6.
Misdirection. Dude.
Is it? I mean, if someone wants to give the impression they care about the rule of law, isn't it valid to point out all the instances where they ignored it?

I understand whataboutism, and it might have been better to start out acknowledging the OP (not that I read it because of the moron who posted it), but I don't think it's out of bounds to call BS on their faux concern. These days, the right is all about bringing up the faults of people they perceive as the enemy. Their own camp is almost always worse, so they end up sounding like dimwitted hypocrites.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I cannot think of any political ideology which justifies mass theft.

Osterweil also insists it’s a form of “queer birth,” and that “riots are violent, extreme and femme as f – – -.” Looting isn’t wrong, she claims, but rather a form of “proletarian shopping.”

“Looting strikes at the heart of property, of whiteness and of the police,” Osterweil explained on NPR. “The very basis of property in the US is derived through whiteness and through Black oppression, through the history of slavery and settler domination of the country.”

https://nypost.com/2020/09/06/the-evil- ... f-looting/
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:11 pm

Osterweil also insists it’s a form of “queer birth,” and that “riots are violent, extreme and femme as f – – -.” Looting isn’t wrong, she claims, but rather a form of “proletarian shopping.”

“Looting strikes at the heart of property, of whiteness and of the police,” Osterweil explained on NPR. “The very basis of property in the US is derived through whiteness and through Black oppression, through the history of slavery and settler domination of the country.”

Ajax, you caught me overreaching. I am forced to remember that no matter how stupid an idea is there is likely to be some jackass somewhere proclaiming it.

I noticed that the Atlantic, a progressive source has an article observing how utterly wrong headed this Osterweil is.(I think he is an attention whore waving a banner of confused marxist sounding jargon)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:11 pm

That’s a new one on me. I’m not adding it to my to read list.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Ajax, you caught me overreaching. I am forced to remember that no matter how stupid an idea is there is likely to be some jackass somewhere proclaiming it.
Well in fairness I should remind myself that there are progressives like yourself that still believe looting is wrong. Amazingly enough to me even Al Sharpton wasn't on board with the claim that the term, "looting" is racist. But Osterweil's views are very much shared by the left coast political establishment and we're seeing these views become law as the far left maintains their longtime hold upon political power and businesses like Walgreens start to move out.

ETA: And Maxine Waters has been defending looting since back in 1992 after the Rodney King case

“There were mothers who took this as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes. Maybe they shouldn’t have done it, but the atmosphere was such that they did it. They are not crooks,”

“One lady said her children didn’t have any shoes. She just saw those shoes there, a chance for all of her children to have new shoes. Goddamn it! It was such a tear-jerker,” Waters told The Times.

“I might have gone in and taken them for her myself.”
Last edited by ajax18 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:05 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Misdirection. Dude.
Is it? I mean, if someone wants to give the impression they care about the rule of law, isn't it valid to point out all the instances where they ignored it?

I understand whataboutism, and it might have been better to start out acknowledging the OP (not that I read it because of the moron who posted it), but I don't think it's out of bounds to call BS on their faux concern. These days, the right is all about bringing up the faults of people they perceive as the enemy. Their own camp is almost always worse, so they end up sounding like dimwitted hypocrites.
It’s a false equivalence, but I understand the message layered within, in that Trumplicans don’t really care about the rule of law in so far as they’re concerned from an in-group perspective. Lying for the Lard, or Trump robbing our treasury blind, or Big Business not paying taxes, or GOPhers damned kids, whatever. They never seem to find their voice about the glass house house in which they live, and so their concern about thieves stealing from businesses situated in SF (why do they care about SF all of a sudden?) rings hollow.

That said, and for Ajax’s benefit I’ll state unequivocally the thieves are thieves, and anyone abetting it probably should lose their jobs and be charged with ‘accessory after the fact’. The thieves should be arrested and incarcerated. The city should be held liable for damages since they created the situation through policy that set the stage for this. In fact, and here’s my inner fascist coming out, I’d flog the thieves publicly*. What can I say? I’ve been the victim of robbery and theft, I think, six times off the top of my head and it’s a crime that victimizes you every time you relive it, so I have zero sympathy for them.

- Doc

* just kidding, they should go to jail and get rehabbed, and if they can’t get rehabbed then tack a little more time on a subsequent sentence where they can make the choice to walk the straight and narrow or just live their lives incarcerated. Up to them.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 pm
Well in fairness I should remind myself that there are progressives like yourself that still believe looting is wrong. Amazingly enough to me even Al Sharpton wasn't on board with the claim that the term, "looting" is racist. But Osterweil's views are very much shared by the left coast political establishment and we're seeing these views become law as the far left maintains their longtime hold upon political power and businesses like Walgreens start to move out.

ETA: And Maxine Waters has been defending looting since back in 1992 after the Rodney King case

“There were mothers who took this as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes. Maybe they shouldn’t have done it, but the atmosphere was such that they did it. They are not crooks,”

“One lady said her children didn’t have any shoes. She just saw those shoes there, a chance for all of her children to have new shoes. Goddamn it! It was such a tear-jerker,” Waters told The Times.

Progressives who do not approve of looting are not unicorns. The news sources you chose to consume show you only the extreme examples. I know and interact with lots of progressives and have never encountered one that is pro-looting. I think it’s fair to say that the vast majority of progressives advocate addressing problems through the legal system and not through self-help.

ETA: I think you’re over-generalizing what Waters said. There are looters that walk off with TVs and Stereos, and jewelry, etc. Although they are “looters,” they clearly aren’t who she was talking about. If your kids were starving or had no shoes, and for whatever reason, you didn’t have the means to buy food or shoes, what wouldn’t you do for your kids? What Waters is talking about is feeling compassion for and mercy toward people in a very specific situation. To brand her as pro-looting would be a serious misrepresentation of what she said.
he/him

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Reminds me of how we initially titled land in this country.

Not defending anyone; just pointing out that this sort of behavior has a long and proud history.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:08 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Reminds me of how we initially titled land in this country.

Not defending anyone; just pointing out that this sort of behavior has a long and proud history.
Does that mean it’s ok to loot a gallon of milk as long as the looter replaces it with 2 ounces of rancid butter?
he/him