My life sucks.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: My life sucks.

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:21 pm
but being here alone in this semi-empty house after 26 years of marriage is hurting so badly that I actually got desperate enough to reach out to people here on a message board at 6:06 a.m. just to have some vestige of human contact. How utterly lame is that?

It's not lame in the least. Approx. 10 years ago, our lives changed in an instant. One of the first actions I took that very night was to contact 2 posters on this board via messages and a friend back home, because I knew I would be the support system for everyone else and that I would need a support system so I could keep going, so I started creating it immediately along with a therapist we already had in place locally.

One of the posters came alongside me and stayed there for well over a year. Via email, in messages, and on the phone. That was the other dancer. <3 We had interacted for years going back to Z. We had history. We knew each other.

So no, it's not lame. It's that this place is a community. And we know each other.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
but being here alone in this semi-empty house after 26 years of marriage is hurting so badly that I actually got desperate enough to reach out to people here on a message board at 6:06 a.m. just to have some vestige of human contact. How utterly lame is that?

It's not lame in the least. Approx. 10 years ago, our lives changed in an instant. One of the first actions I took that very night was to contact 2 posters on this board via messages and a friend back home, because I knew I would be the support system for everyone else and that I would need a support system so I could keep going, so I started creating it immediately along with a therapist we already had in place locally.

One of the posters came alongside me and stayed there for well over a year. Via email, in messages, and on the phone. That was the other dancer. <3 We had interacted for years going back to Z. We had history. We knew each other.

So no, it's not lame. It's that this place is a community. And we know each other.
Shades, please read Jersey Girl’s post about 20 times. Hit the nail on the head, she did.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:02 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:53 pm

Shades, please read Jersey Girl’s post about 20 times. Hit the nail on the head, she did.
I actually contacted those 3 people as soon as could get my hands on my computer after I spoke to family after I got home from getting the first phone call at work. All 3 responded within approx. 30 minutes. I didn't know at the point that there had been a death.

ETA: All I knew at that point was that all hell had broken loose in another state.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

A thread like this makes me realize how much I've lied to myself about how much I care about this place. This is a pretty unique and remarkable community we have here.

And that's in big part on you, Shades.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:33 pm
A thread like this makes me realize how much I've lied to myself about how much I care about this place. This is a pretty unique and remarkable community we have here.

And that's in big part on you, Shades.
That's why some folks fight for it. ;)

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
But being at home and alone for the first time in 26 years, seeing the things of hers that she left behind because she didn’t want them (to include a picture I gave her on her birthday many years ago that hung on our wall constantly since then), the depression and loneliness is overwhelming.
One idea could be to take the things, box them up, and put them in quarantine. See how that feels to you. If you don't like the way that feels, you can put them right back out any time you'd like. :)

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

A quick thought, Dr. Shades. There are no objectively correct answers to life’s problems, and worse there doesn’t exist any decision-process for discerning a more-correct answer over less-correct answers, if there’s even such a thing. We’re always faced with a handful of realistic options whenever we’re making a significant decision for ourselves, and like it or not we’re also accountable for the decisions we didn’t make in favor of the one we did with regard to the unintended consequences of selecting one choice over another. Even when we think we’re prepared to deal with the fallout of our choice or choices, we’re left overwhelmed by the power of those consequences. Here’s a good post on grief posted by an old man on Reddit:
Alright, here goes. I’m old. What that means is that I’ve survived (so far) and a lot of people I’ve known and loved did not. I’ve lost friends, best friends, acquaintances, co-workers, grandparents, mom, relatives, teachers, mentors, students, neighbors, and a host of other folks. I have no children, and I can’t imagine the pain it must be to lose a child. But here’s my two cents.

I wish I could say you get used to people dying. I never did. I don’t want to. It tears a hole through me whenever somebody I love dies, no matter the circumstances. But I don’t want it to “not matter”. I don’t want it to be something that just passes. My scars are a testament to the love and the relationship that I had for and with that person. And if the scar is deep, so was the love. So be it. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are a testament that I can love deeply and live deeply and be cut, or even gouged, and that I can heal and continue to live and continue to love. And the scar tissue is stronger than the original flesh ever was. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are only ugly to people who can’t see.

As for grief, you’ll find it comes in waves. When the ship is first wrecked, you’re drowning, with wreckage all around you. Everything floating around you reminds you of the beauty and the magnificence of the ship that was, and is no more. And all you can do is float. You find some piece of the wreckage and you hang on for a while. Maybe it’s some physical thing. Maybe it’s a happy memory or a photograph. Maybe it’s a person who is also floating. For a while, all you can do is float. Stay alive.

In the beginning, the waves are 100 feet tall and crash over you without mercy. They come 10 seconds apart and don’t even give you time to catch your breath. All you can do is hang on and float. After a while, maybe weeks, maybe months, you’ll find the waves are still 100 feet tall, but they come further apart. When they come, they still crash all over you and wipe you out. But in between, you can breathe, you can function. You never know what’s going to trigger the grief. It might be a song, a picture, a street intersection, the smell of a cup of coffee. It can be just about anything…and the wave comes crashing. But in between waves, there is life.

Somewhere down the line, and it’s different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday, or Christmas, or landing at O’Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you’ll come out. Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don’t really want them to. But you learn that you’ll survive them. And other waves will come. And you’ll survive them too. If you’re lucky, you’ll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks.
Losing a loved one, in any form it takes, is death to us. A little piece of us dies. But that old man is right, a scar takes the place of a wound. This relationship death you’re having to experience, to sit with, is no joke. Maybe to take the old man’s analogy a bit further is that there’s a shore just a short ways away. You will be carried to it, and deposited by the ocean on the sand. And you should sit there looking back out over the sea as long as you need, and when you’re ready, and it’ll feel natural to do so, you’ll get to your feet, brush yourself off, and make your way back to the world, however that happens for you.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:43 pm
A quick thought, Dr. Shades. There are no objectively correct answers to life’s problems, and worse there doesn’t exist any decision-process for discerning a more-correct answer over less-correct answers, if there’s even such a thing. We’re always faced with a handful of realistic options whenever we’re making a significant decision for ourselves, and like it or not we’re also accountable for the decisions we didn’t make in favor of the one we did with regard to the unintended consequences of selecting one choice over another. Even when we think we’re prepared to deal with the fallout of our choice or choices, we’re left overwhelmed by the power of those consequences. Here’s a good post on grief posted by an old man on Reddit:
Alright, here goes. I’m old. What that means is that I’ve survived (so far) and a lot of people I’ve known and loved did not. I’ve lost friends, best friends, acquaintances, co-workers, grandparents, mom, relatives, teachers, mentors, students, neighbors, and a host of other folks. I have no children, and I can’t imagine the pain it must be to lose a child. But here’s my two cents.

I wish I could say you get used to people dying. I never did. I don’t want to. It tears a hole through me whenever somebody I love dies, no matter the circumstances. But I don’t want it to “not matter”. I don’t want it to be something that just passes. My scars are a testament to the love and the relationship that I had for and with that person. And if the scar is deep, so was the love. So be it. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are a testament that I can love deeply and live deeply and be cut, or even gouged, and that I can heal and continue to live and continue to love. And the scar tissue is stronger than the original flesh ever was. Scars are a testament to life. Scars are only ugly to people who can’t see.

As for grief, you’ll find it comes in waves. When the ship is first wrecked, you’re drowning, with wreckage all around you. Everything floating around you reminds you of the beauty and the magnificence of the ship that was, and is no more. And all you can do is float. You find some piece of the wreckage and you hang on for a while. Maybe it’s some physical thing. Maybe it’s a happy memory or a photograph. Maybe it’s a person who is also floating. For a while, all you can do is float. Stay alive.

In the beginning, the waves are 100 feet tall and crash over you without mercy. They come 10 seconds apart and don’t even give you time to catch your breath. All you can do is hang on and float. After a while, maybe weeks, maybe months, you’ll find the waves are still 100 feet tall, but they come further apart. When they come, they still crash all over you and wipe you out. But in between, you can breathe, you can function. You never know what’s going to trigger the grief. It might be a song, a picture, a street intersection, the smell of a cup of coffee. It can be just about anything…and the wave comes crashing. But in between waves, there is life.

Somewhere down the line, and it’s different for everybody, you find that the waves are only 80 feet tall. Or 50 feet tall. And while they still come, they come further apart. You can see them coming. An anniversary, a birthday, or Christmas, or landing at O’Hare. You can see it coming, for the most part, and prepare yourself. And when it washes over you, you know that somehow you will, again, come out the other side. Soaking wet, sputtering, still hanging on to some tiny piece of the wreckage, but you’ll come out. Take it from an old guy. The waves never stop coming, and somehow you don’t really want them to. But you learn that you’ll survive them. And other waves will come. And you’ll survive them too. If you’re lucky, you’ll have lots of scars from lots of loves. And lots of shipwrecks.
Losing a loved one, in any form it takes, is death to us. A little piece of us dies. But that old man is right, a scar takes the place of a wound. This relationship death you’re having to experience, to sit with, is no joke. Maybe to take the old man’s analogy a bit further is that there’s a shore just a short ways away. You will be carried to it, and deposited by the ocean on the sand. And you should sit there looking back out over the sea as long as you need, and when you’re ready, and it’ll feel natural to do so, you’ll get to your feet, brush yourself off, and make your way back to the world, however that happens for you.

- Doc
I love every single word of this. It's true.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

That was beautiful Doc. Thanks.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
How utterly lame is that?
No, the only thing lame is that you think your life sucks. It doesn't.

"My philosophy for a happy life | Sam Berns"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36m1o-tM05g
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: