Help. I need somebody. Help. Not just anybody.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Help. I need somebody. Help. Not just anybody.

Post by Jersey Girl »

The Beatles docuseries Get Back. I'm freaking out.

If it's streaming on Disney right this very second, will it be available to me to watch later? I still didn't get the service yet.

Will I be able to watch all three installments again and again? Or is this going to be one and done?

I forgot to get the service and I'm afraid it's going to conflict with dinner.

Won't you please, please, help me. Help me. Help meeeeeeeeee.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Re: Help. I need somebody. Help. Not just anybody.

Post by Xenophon »

I'm not finding a ton of great detail about your specific questions but we have activated Disney+ a few times over the last year (I wait for a bunch of content I'm interested in to come around before we turn it on) and generally programs are available for streaming for well after their premiere date. The only exception I can think of was Hamilton which was only available for a few days in order to boost memberships. Given that it is Disney it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled it down at some point, they've got a history of gatekeeping content. I'm sure that would be well down the line for this as there don't appear to be any announcements about limited availability.

As to re-watching over and over, I saw the total content was like 8 hours, so good luck with that. :lol:
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl, it sounds like it’ll be available for a while to view at your convenience.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Thanks!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Jersey Girl -

I watched the first episode tonight. And Beatle fan that I am, I was somewhat disappointed. There are some great 'fly on the wall' moments. The most interesting thing is watching the creative chemistry at play, especially McCartney. The man seems to be oozing music and creativity the whole time.

But this is not a joyous group of musicians. They have to come up with a lot of songs in a short period of time, and the strain shows. Paul is clearly the creative driving force in the group. John seems a bit withdrawn into his relationship with Yoko, showing up to rehearsals late, being a little bit of passive-aggressive with Paul. George is the most disaffected, feeling like the third wheel behind Lennon/McCartney, George gets frustrated with Paul telling him how to play. Ringo seems the steadiest member, but the least involved in the creative process. Things are not going well. The group is sort of stumbling to the finish line.

I remember how disappointed I was when the Beatles broke up. After watching the first episode, you understand why. When Lennon and McCartney are on the same musical page, you can still see some magic sparks, but the creative process seems like a long hard slog.

I'm curious if anyone else saw the show and what they thought...
Last edited by MeDotOrg on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Xenophon wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:55 am

As to re-watching over and over, I saw the total content was like 8 hours, so good luck with that. :lol:
So. You've never been through a Rocky Mountain winter and spring? ;)

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:07 am
Xenophon wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:55 am

So. You've never been through a Rocky Mountain winter and spring? ;)
Nope, only a Deep South Summer :D :D :D
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:06 am
Jersey Girl -

I watched the first episode tonight. And Beatle fan that I am, I was somewhat disappointed. There are some great 'fly on the wall' moments. The most interesting thing is watching the creative chemistry at play, especially McCartney. The man seems to be oozing music and creativity the whole time.

But this is not a joyous group of musicians. They have to come up with a lot of songs in a short period of time, and the strain shows. Paul is clearly the creative driving force in the group. John seems a bit withdrawn into his relationship with Yoko, showing up to rehearsals late, being a little bit of passive-aggressive with Paul. George is the most disaffected, feeling like the third wheel behind Lennon/McCartney, George gets frustrated with Paul telling him how to play. Ringo seems the steadiest member, but the least involved in the creative process. Things are not going well. The group is sort of stumbling to the finish line.

I remember how disappointed I was when the Beatles broke up. After watching the first episode, you understand why. When Lennon and McCartney are on the same musical page, you can still see some magic sparks, but the creative process seems like a long hard slog.

I think my wife and I are going to watch it tonight.

I've thought about your review quite a bit. When I first read it, I was a bit disappointed, but as I ruminate, I guess I'm looking forward to it even more. I've always kind of wondered what was going on when they were about to break up. "Yoko Ono" is not really an explanation.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:06 am
Jersey Girl -

I've loved the Beetles (and the Doors) Since I was a toddler. From what I heard, there were two warring camps and one neutral zone. John v. Paul, Paul, v John and then there was George and Ringo showing up with the producer cause they just wanted to make music. My understanding is that much of the later Lennon/McCarthy writing was finished in the studio by the producer with John and Paul showing up at at the studio at different times to avoid each other. Pink Floyd had a similar problem. Still some of the best music made in the last century.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I haven't seen the program yet. I'm planning to begin watching it tonight. I've seen plenty of clips, not just the trailers. I think that as someone who went through the whole Beatlemania period, when viewing them in motion any way at all was a rarity, I'll like this series for that exact reason. It triggers that same sense of anticipation. If it were a 3 part series of watching them painting a wall and just chatting back and forth, I'd probably watch it.

I don't know how to explain it. It's the same thing as watching their first appearance on Ed Sullivan totally laser focused, that lasted only minutes. The same thing as the opening chord of A Hard Day's Night in the movie theater. Or the very first cry for HELP!

Maybe you had to be there...

Slava Ukraini!