Guess what this building will be

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Guess what this building will be

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

This will be the finished product:

And this is its location:

The picture looks like it was taken in the morning, and probably on a Saturday as well since it doesn’t show the normal amount of traffic. I-215 is the highway and its typically busy. The municipal road is 4700 South, and it’s also typically packed and noisy. The temple will make a nice office complex someday, though.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:20 pm
This will be the finished product:

- Doc
That's a very smart looking structure. But (and yes, I would say this about any church I belonged to myself) I do think that while having a beautiful building in which to honor God is desirable, I do think there are other ways to honor God by channeling finances in a different direction.

But don't go by me.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:55 am
Okay so I never answered the question. Guess what this building will be.

A monument to human greed? I dunno. I give up.
We lived in a huge house for about 10 years. It was gorgeous, comfortable, and the worst thing that ever happened to my family. When you have a huge house with only a few people, it naturally drives you apart as you all tend to hang out in your "area."

So we decided to downgrade, and we haven't been this happy in years. The older I get, the more minimalist I become.

Greed will never make anyone happy, because when you get what you want, you'll just want more. Greed makes satisfaction impossible.
Have you by any chance read Thoreau's Walden? If not you should try it. It may feel like a dry read, but I swear, it speaks to me.

So, if Thoreau were to reply to your above, he'd tell you that when people go to work they do so with the intention of upgrading their life styles by acquiring material goods, you know, starting with a home...let's say it's an apartment in our society. As they work harder and harder, climb the latter of so-called success, the amount of inventory of material goods increases so...they acquire a larger home...and then, they have to acquire more material goods to outfit it...think furniture. He essentially says that people work all of their lives to keep up with the accumulation...most of those people never truly own anything.

Particularly...not the big things.

Not the car.
Not the house.

Because those typically belong to the bank.

I have never seen in my lifetime the construction of SO many storage unit facilities. What's that about? I'm sure part of that has to do with being in a military town. But surely, the military couldn't account for all of them, could it?

I agree with what you say about family members going off into their own space. That can polarize relationships for sure. People turning to digital stuff, social media, instead of building relationships over time.

I've never lived in a huge house in my life. I never had my own room as a child. I never had my own space anywhere except on the beach. I think it benefited me, because I had to learn to accommodate and be accepting of family members with differing abilities and also at least one alcoholic. I loved them and they loved me. I learned to appreciate the people that they were, form loving bonds with them...all because we were all on top of each other in a little beach bungalow for a long period of my childhood.

I agree with minimalism!!!!!!!!!

During this pandemic, I have been de-cluttering like crazy. I have most areas of our home the way I want them to be but some spaces that are taking a long time because de-cluttering is exhausting. The more I do it, the better I've gotten at it, and have reduced the inventory we previously had significantly! I can see that de-cluttering is never done. It's a matter of setting a goal, developing skill, and a continuing process of making oneself aware, evaluating, and basically paying attention. It's a way of living.

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify, simplify! I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand; instead of a million count half a dozen, and keep your accounts on your thumb-nail."
Henry David Thoreau

Lord, I love his philosophies!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:52 pm
Have you by any chance read Thoreau's Walden? If not you should try it. It may feel like a dry read, but I swear, it speaks to me.

So, if Thoreau were to reply to your above, he'd tell you that when people go to work they do so with the intention of upgrading their life styles by acquiring material goods, you know, starting with a home...let's say it's an apartment in our society. As they work harder and harder, climb the latter of so-called success, the amount of inventory of material goods increases so...they acquire a larger home...and then, they have to acquire more material goods to outfit it...think furniture. He essentially says that people work all of their lives to keep up with the accumulation...most of those people never truly own anything.

Particularly...not the big things.

Not the car.
Not the house.

Because those typically belong to the bank.

I have never seen in my lifetime the construction of SO many storage unit facilities. What's that about? I'm sure part of that has to do with being in a military town. But surely, the military couldn't account for all of them, could it?
I'm not sure about the military contribution, but I do know people like to collect stuff.

It occurs to me the number of times as a child I heard, "Don't waste your money. Have something to show for it." Now there's an attitude that will cause someone to accumulate junk.
I agree with what you say about family members going off into their own space. That can polarize relationships for sure. People turning to digital stuff, social media, instead of building relationships over time.
I hate cell phones with an almost irrational passion.
I've never lived in a huge house in my life. I never had my own room as a child. I never had my own space anywhere except on the beach. I think it benefited me, because I had to learn to accommodate and be accepting of family members with differing abilities and also at least one alcoholic. I loved them and they loved me. I learned to appreciate the people that they were, form loving bonds with them...all because we were all on top of each other in a little beach bungalow for a long period of my childhood.
So, I suppose I can claim some luck in that I got to experience the range from terrible living conditions all the way up to what I suppose most would term upper class. I grew up in a poor (huge) family, but I got an education and ended up very comfortable.

What's best about that experience is truly understanding what people have been saying forever, that money doesn't buy happiness. When you're poor, your inevitable response to that is, "Well I'd like to find out for myself."

It's true that when you're poor, coming into more money does bring relief, which allows more freedom for happiness, but I learned pretty quickly that once your needs are met, just buying crap really does nothing for you after the initial spending spree. Stuff you thought would make you happy in a lot of cases makes you miserable. Stuff comes with responsibility.

I spend all my disposable income these days on family and memories (and animals). That's what I want to keep.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:52 pm
So much of Walden is boring, but there are some real juicy quotes in there too. So much uninteresting minutia in the first part though.

Have you read any of Herman Hesse's works? Not to mention Vonnegut.
Last edited by Father Francis on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:55 am
It's a hard one, I know. No googling!

Screenshot 2021-11-26 205453.jpg
Is it being built for the Progressive God Lucifer ?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:22 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:55 am
It's a hard one, I know. No googling!

Screenshot 2021-11-26 205453.jpg
Is it being built for the Progressive God Lucifer ?
Close. Mammon.