Michigan School Shooting

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Re: Michigan School Shooting

Post by K Graham »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:01 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Ajax’s posting has a lot of similarities to the Stormfront “BUGS” who call their online activity a “swarmfront”. The bottom line, and one of the things he does consistently that falls in line with their strategy, is to always stay on the offensive. This is why all discussions where he participates attempts to shift focus from the topic to a grievance involving a minority, mostly black men. People spend an order of magnitude more time and energy debunking his white supremacist narrative than he does creating, and when one topic is shown to be false he simply shifts to some other grievance rife with inaccuracies and falsehoods.

This will never change.

- Doc
I'm just pointing out why the mainstream media based on which stories they choose to cover are not really journalists as much as they are left wing activists.

Around 50 people (mostly black on black) are shot and killed in Chicago every weekend. You don't seem to have any problem with the left refusing to focus on this issue. So why am I not allowed to pick and choose which issues concern me?
1. You're not "picking which issues concern" you, you're literally derailing while make false equivalencies and you are always pushing the same white supremacist themes.
2. Most white people are killed by white people, most Asians are killed by Asians, and most Hispanics are killed by Hispanics. This has nothing to do with the phenomenon of school shootings in America.
3. Whenever someone takes the time to refute your inane comments, you just move on and then repeat them again later down the road. You're not interested in what's true or accurate, you're only interested in the self gratification of making yourself feel like to the poor persecuted white man. Literally every one of your posts over the past two decades are connected in some way to this same theme.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax, the school shooting event really can’t be exploited along racial lines. Why did you choose to swap to a racial exploit and talk about a different event with your first post?
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'm just pointing out why the mainstream media based on which stories they choose to cover are not really journalists
Sure, that's what you're saying, but you're wrong. Mathboi's case quit getting coverage because there wasn't much left to cover for now. What do you think they should be covering?

And Sig Saur kid is now taking a backseat to your right-wing abortion crusade and omicron.

And -- just checked Fox, and they're covering what everybody else is covering. Breitbart isn't covering Mathboi today either. They are covering what everyone else is covering plus a bunch of BS only people like you are interested in, like Greta Thunberg and liberals doing this or that, and Hunter Biden. No Mathboi.

correction: Breitbart does have a small note about mathboi, but AP already covered it.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

This is how I think about it: The ultimate purpose of a media company is to make money. If it's a publicly traded company, it has a legal duty to maximize shareholder profits. Who a media company chooses to target as an audience will inevitably affect the product it sells to its customers.

Fox News in particular became successful by not trying to compete with national media for a broad audience, but by targeting a specific demographic: one that skews older, whiter, more politically to the right, worried about change, and resentful of how others are treated in society. And, not only did they target that demographic, they cultivated it. And I think it has reaped financial reward for doing so.

How much national interest is there in the story? Here's the story: Somewhere in the process that results in the setting of cash bail, somebody or somebodies screwed up, with horrific results. I haven't seen anybody arguing that this guy should have been able to remain free after posting $1000. There are no continuing events with relevance to other locations. So, the story is about an individual mistake that everyone agrees was a mistake made in a specific city in a specific state. And, if a media company's audience is broad and national, it's not surprising that the incident was headline news at first, but isn't covered minute by minute or day to day.

But, in terms of target audience, this story is tailor made for Fox News. First, it's about a scary black man, which has been a trope on the conservative side of the political spectrum at least as far back as George H.W. Bush's presidential campaign. Second, it allows Fox to feed into its reader's fear of change and loathing of liberals by claiming that liberals want the scary black man to hurt or kill you. Finally, it gives Fox News the opportunity push the "fake news" that this mistake has anything to do with cash bail reform. So it's no wonder that Fox News is covering this story for all its worth, regardless of national interest, because Fox isn't trying to compete with national media.

And then, just as frosting on the cake, Fox News manufactures a story that "national media" is suppressing the story. Scary black man, fear and loathing of liberals, biased media – this hits almost all the buttons for the Fox News demographic. Ajax didn't make up the part about the national media suppressing the story. It's on Fox News, amplified through the usual right wing media channels.

It's a natural result of the commodification of news that has occurred over time. Fox News isn't alone. But I think they do it more effectively than any other major media source.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:16 am
What a sad day. Three kids killed and eight more injured by gunfire.

The father of the 15 year old suspect purchased the gun the week before.
This is the topic of the thread, but Ajax seems to have diverted it into whataboutery on an unrelated topic after very few posts. Should this be happening?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Res wrote:But, in terms of target audience, this story is tailor made for Fox News. First, it's about a scary black man, which has been a trope on the conservative side of the political spectrum at least as far back as George H.W. Bush's presidential campaign. Second, it allows Fox to feed into its reader's fear of change and loathing of liberals by claiming that liberals want the scary black man to hurt or kill you
One point, however, is that I don't really see how right-wingers have a real news outlet. TMZ gets some good stuff sometimes, but Fox and Breitbart don't actually go out and get news, they comment on AP stuff. There are likely a whole host of stories that could help drive the fear narrative as somewhere out there, there's something bad happening at every moment. Maybe I'm wrong. Are you aware of stories ran by Fox or Breitbart that you can't get anywhere else?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:36 pm
Res wrote:But, in terms of target audience, this story is tailor made for Fox News. First, it's about a scary black man, which has been a trope on the conservative side of the political spectrum at least as far back as George H.W. Bush's presidential campaign. Second, it allows Fox to feed into its reader's fear of change and loathing of liberals by claiming that liberals want the scary black man to hurt or kill you
One point, however, is that I don't really see how right-wingers have a real news outlet. TMZ gets some good stuff sometimes, but Fox and Breitbart don't actually go out and get news, they comment on AP stuff. There are likely a whole host of stories that could help drive the fear narrative as somewhere out there, there's something bad happening at every moment. Maybe I'm wrong. Are you aware of stories ran by Fox or Breitbart that you can't get anywhere else?
Commentary is too profitable to be sending reporters out, MSNBC and most news outlets these days included. It would be a complete waste of money for them when as you said they can just wait for the AP stuff to roll in.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Chap wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:52 pm
K Graham wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:16 am
What a sad day. Three kids killed and eight more injured by gunfire.

The father of the 15 year old suspect purchased the gun the week before.
This is the topic of the thread, but Ajax seems to have diverted it into whataboutery on an unrelated topic after very few posts. Should this be happening?

> white kid shoots up school

> b-but what about black people!?!?

-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

I think this is the shooter:

And I think these are the deceased:

Judging books by their covers, I’d guess this was a case of bullying and the kid snapped. Perhaps Ajax can explain how a gun kept people civil? Maybe I can appeal to his ethnocentrism? What is it about white people killing white people and destroying white lives that makes having guns around that was good for these white people?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

^ wHy DiD tHe MaInStReAm MeDiA bUrY tHiS sToRy?!.? What’s the mainstream media’s PROGRESSIVE, IE, COMMUNIST AGENDA burying this story? And if you don’t know who the guy above is THEN IT PROVES MY POINT!,!.!?.?

- Doc