Michigan School Shooting

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Michigan School Shooting

Post by Gadianton »

did you click on the link to the instagram post a page or so before?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:19 am
did you click on the link to the instagram post a page or so before?
No, but I just linked to this article in the Independent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 68855.html

It appears to confirm the parents bought the gun for him.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:34 am
I watched a few of Sig Sauer kid's youtube videos from when he was 10 or so. Never would have predicted his actions a few years later based on those. In retrospect, the only pause is that he was so optimistic and lacking in self-awareness that it must have been all the more brutal to wake up in jr. high at the bottom of the totem pole. He has one youtube video from a couple years go throwing a molotov cocktail in his backyard, which is a little concerning.

The parents appear to be unhinged right-wingers and didn't think much of buying sonny boy a high-capacity 9mm. If they can be charged, they should be. I actually feel bad for them because it doesn't seem like there were a lot of outward signs, and they merely took the same culturally acceptable chances a lot of other parents take. When it comes to guns, there's a lot of freedom to hang yourself, and I think in terms of legality we've got to let the hanging happen.
I read a couple of public posts, it doesn't seem they were setting that great of an example for the kid. And buying an obviously not too mature 15 yr old a semi-automatic? No. Just no.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

The parents are screwed. They've been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/us/michi ... index.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:24 pm
The parents are screwed. They've been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/us/michi ... index.html
This is so awful. Those parents. From the press conference by the county prosecutor announcing the charges

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald speaks at a news conference. Photo credit Jon Hewett/WWJ

By WWJ Newsroom
WWJ Newsradio 950
Updated on 43 minutes ago

OXFORD TWP. (WWJ) -- The Oakland County Prosecutor has filed involuntary manslaughter charges against the parents of the teenager accused in the deadly mass shooting at Oxford High School.

James and Jennifer Crumbley were charged with four counts each, Prosecutor Karen McDonald announced Friday.

At an afternoon news conference explaining her decision, McDonald offered many new and startling details about the case.

She began by saying that while it was 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley who held the gun and fired, there were other involved who must be held accountable for this tragedy. "Gun owners have a responsibility. And when they fail to uphold that responsibility, there are serious and criminal consequences," McDonald said.

Revealing a bevy of new information, McDonald alleged the following:

-- The 9mm semiautomatic pistol used in the shooting was purchased by James Crumbley on Black Friday at Acme Shooting Goods in Oxford. When he bought the gun, his son — alleged shooter, Ethan Crumbley — was with him.

-- Social media posts show Ethan Crumbley had access to the gun, and practiced shooting the pistol he called "his new beauty."

-- A Facebook post by Jennifer Crumbley stated the pistol was her son's "Christmas present."

-- A teacher saw the teen searching ammuntion on his phone during class, and reported the incident to school officials, who contacted the boy's mother. Jennifer Crumbley did not reply, but the same day sent a text to her son stating: "LOL. I'm not mad, but you have to learn not to get caught."

-- The morning of the shooting, the teacher found a not on Ethan Crumbley's desk that showed a handgun and people being shot and bleeding. Words on the page included: "The thoughts won't stop, help me" ... "Blood everywhere ... "My life is useless" ... "The world is dead."

-- The parents were called to the school and shown the drawing, but it had already been altered by the teen, with disturbing phrases and images scratched out.

-- School officials told the parents they must seek counseling for their son within 24 hours.

-- The parents failed to ask their son where his gun was, failed to check his backpack, and they left the school without him.

-- About two hours later, authorities have said Ethan Crumbley took the gun from his backpack and opened fire in a hallway at the school.

-- McDonald said when the news of an active shooter at the school broke to the public, the mother texted her son, at 1:22 p.m.: "Ethan, don't do it." But it was too late.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So much civility and politeness.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

That bit about not getting caught really ticked me off. This bit as well:

-- The morning of the shooting, the teacher found a not on Ethan Crumbley's desk that showed a handgun and people being shot and bleeding. Words on the page included: "The thoughts won't stop, help me" ... "Blood everywhere ... "My life is useless" ... "The world is dead."

-- The parents were called to the school and shown the drawing, but it had already been altered by the teen, with disturbing phrases and images scratched out.

-- School officials told the parents they must seek counseling for their son within 24 hours.

So he had altered the drawing but they knew what it said and they didn't send him home. If he had Flu or Covid symptoms, they would have sent him home. Obvious fantasies of violence? Oh, heck no. Check his backpack? Pffffft! Nah, who cares, right?

They should have sent him home and only accepted him back with a doctor's approval following a psych eval*. Period. End to it.

Those administrators are going to regret this for the rest of their lives. I guarantee it.

*Yes, they should be able to legally do that. I made that happen myself in the case of one child.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

some big revelations there. The 4chan investigators aren't as good as they think.

I still feel bad for the parents because they behaved little differently than the typical Second Amendment loudmouth culture says they should behave. The chances of this happening are very low. Garrett Soldano, who is an unhinged Trump guy running for governor of M, posted a picture of him and his lame family all together holding assault rifles with large clips, including the kid who is about the same age as Sauer kid, on the day of the shooting and then stood vigilant, refusing to take it down. With gun culture this strong, it would be ridiculous to believe that 99% of the time all these in-your-face gun wielders are following the law to the letter with their guns and being strictly safe with them. So unfortunately, the example needs to be set. If we're going to be a Second Amendment nation, then the consequences for unsafe Second Amendment practice need to be extreme.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Does US gun culture make people nuts, or are the damned nuts drawn to the US's gun culture?

I hope these idiots get the max penalty. Don't get caught... what a damned lunatic.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:28 pm
Does US gun culture make people nuts, or are the damned nuts drawn to the US's gun culture?

I hope these idiots get the max penalty. Don't get caught... what a ..... lunatic.
it's a feedback loop. people predisposed for unhinged gun behavior are further unhinged by the culture that encourages them. And this isn't a culture of deadbeats only, but one where business people and politicians are leading the guilty. Many right-wing politicians must love school shootings and here's why: yes, there's that awkward moment of discomfort. But then upon introspection, it's recognized that this is an opportunity to show they won't back down in spite of liberal opportunists. It's times like these, when millions of gun nuts clutch for their weapons in fear of Biden taking them away, that a Second Amendment politician with an otherwise thin platform adds value. This is when the grandstanding politician who otherwise doesn't know anything and gets nothing done can shine, in contrast to a more traditional politician.